Total Pageviews

Tuesday 15 August 2023

Halloumi salad with orange and mint : Bringing a taste of the Mediterranean to your table

We had a very enjoyable family gathering over the weekend, and the weather stayed dry with sunny intervals, making things extra special. Many thanks for all the lovely comments and good wishes on the previous post.


Today I share a favourite recipe which is popular with vegetarians, but can be enjoyed by others too! The mix of ingredients works well, adding an extra zing for your taste buds!

Of course if you wish you could also serve it with chicken breast and steamed green beans... the choice is always left to you dear reader.

Ingredients
Serves Four
(12g carb per serving)
3 medium orange segments and juice
1 small bunch mint leaves, chopped
4 tsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 x 250g packs halloumi* cheese, drained
50g walnut pieces, toasted (or pecans work well too)
145g rocket, (arugula) watercress and spinach salad mix

Method
1. Heat a large griddle or frying pan over a high heat. In a large bowl, combine the orange segments and juice, mint leaves, vinegar and olive oil. Season, then gently toss together.
2. Slice each block of halloumi into 8-10 pieces, then griddle or fry for 1-2 mins on each side until charred and beginning to melt.
3. Add the walnuts and salad leaves to the orange and mint, then toss together. Top with the griddled halloumi slices and season with some black pepper.

*If you find Halloumi too salty you could try mozzarella as an alternative
Original recipe idea from here
You can read more about Halloumi here

~ pretty summer flowers ~
from post here

This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Debbie said...

this looks so refreshing for summer!! i just recently learned what "rocket" was, funny we use the name arugula. i think that's right!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Debbie

Yes, rocket/arugula is the same thing.

A bit like courgette/zucchini and eggplant/aubergine.

All the best Jan

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I'll look for Halloumi in my area. The salad looks great!

Anita said...

looks very tasty and good!

eileeninmd said...

The salad looks delicious!
Pretty flowers.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Tom said...

...looks great!

roentare said...

It looks scrumptious

Elephant's Child said...

That does sound fresh and tasty. And thanks for the suggested substitute. Haloumi is indeed too salty for me.

J.P. Alexander said...

Suena muy rico. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

DUTA said...

Whatever we buy is too salty for me. So, I always find a way to reduce it . Haloomi cheese sounds fine in your proposed salad.

Margaret D said...

That looks good.
Pleased you had a nice time at the weekend.

Shari Burke said...

Oooh, this looks delicious! Am saving it for future use. Thank you!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Mint is something that I have developed a disliking for in recent years. Don’t ask me why. It’s something I ate for years.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Halloumi cheese is tasty; grilled or not.

God bless.

Sandi said...

You can't go wrong with a big hunk of cheese!

CJ Kennedy said...

Not a fan of cheese so I think I'd like the salad better without.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

This I could demolish. I love Halloumi.

J C said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. This recipe looks delicious, but unfortunately I cannot eat citrus and I dont care for mint. BUT....the flower picture is lovely. xoxo And...I DO follow some of your recipes, even though Im not diabetic. They are just so yummy! Husb and I try hard to eat healthy. Well..ok. Except for ice cream.

happyone said...

Sure looks good and the flowers are so pretty.

Sandra Cox said...

So glad you had a great weekend. That salad looks delish.
Cheers,

Bill said...

Looks tasty.

SPACE said...

Wow delicious salad and nice flowers.

William Kendall said...

All of the ingredients suit me.

My name is Erika. said...

This looks delicious, and those gladioli are beautiful. I wonder if anyone has ever made a salad completely from edible flowers? I'm sure someone has. Happy rest of the week to you?

Conniecrafter said...

enjoying those summer time goodies before fall comes around :)

DeniseinVA said...

I love Halloumi but haven't had it for a while. It's on the list thanks to your recipe. Thanks Jan and all the best!

Jenny Woolf said...

That's interesting. If I ever eat Halloumi though I try to keep the rest of the day no-salt. It is delicious but so salty, and I need to watch blood pressure too. It's worth doing every now and then. The idea of orange and mint with it is delicious.

Teresa said...

La receta parece muy buena. Besos.