Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 August 2023

Trees, aren't they wonderful

I was over at Juliet's blog recently, aka Crafty Green Poet and she had a post about the Woodland Trust Tree of The Year. 

Every year, the Woodland Trust runs a competition to find the Tree of the Year in the UK. Trees are nominated for their age or importance, in some cases their historical importance, in others because they have been threatened with destruction and the local community has rallied round them. The winner will represent the UK in the European Tree of the Year competition!

Voting is open until Sunday 15 October, and this year's winner will be announced on Thursday 19 October 2023.

If you've got a minute or two they are well worth looking at.

Find out more and cast your vote here

h/t Crafty Green Poet Blog here 

Last year, 2022, the Surrey Yew Tree was named as 'Tree of the Year'. The tree at Waverley Abbey is thought to be about 500 years old... look at those roots!
More to read here


Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes!

Please note, not all recipe suggestions may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

24 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh my! The roots of that tree! I agree -- trees are wonderful and it always hurts when I see one downed, especially because it is neither ill or damaged but because someone just doesn't want it anymore. The UK does a much better job preserving trees than I think the US does -- or at least my state.

roentare said...

Surrey Yew Tree looks outstanding!

Tom said...

...yews can get ;arge here, but we rarely think of them as trees!

Elephant's Child said...

I adore trees. One of the bloggers I follow puts up a post celebrating them (around the world) every Thursday. I delight and marvel in them every week.

happyone said...

Wow that is amazing!!!

My name is Erika. said...

The more I learn about trees, the more amazing they become. I remember when you posted that yew tree. Those roots are amazing!

chica said...

Adoro árvores e gostei muito do teu post!
Linda árvore aqui!
beijos praianos, tudo de bom,chica

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Wow, that is an amazing tree! Trees are natures monuments that are so important to the environment.

J.P. Alexander said...

Es un bello árbol Te mando un beso.

Angie's Recipes said...

Looks really cool!

Club Crafteria said...

The roots of the tree look beautiful.

Fun60 said...

Where would we be without our wonderful trees.

Crafty Green Poet said...

That's a wonderful tree. Thanks for linking to my blog!

eileeninmd said...

That is a wonderful tree! Trees are important for the environment, helping to clean the air.
Thanks for sharing Juliet's blog. Take care, enjoy your day!

Practical Parsimony said...

I memorized TREES by Joyce Kilmer when I was in third grade. Reading the poem always provided me with a peaceful feeling. I do love trees and decry their destruction. I read this poem to my children when they were small.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Creative Publish said...

Very well written

Divers and Sundry said...

Trees are not appreciated enough here. I'd love to see one planted whenever we lose one for some reason.

Conniecrafter said...

that is such a neat idea, when we go on vacation I take a lot of pictures of trees that are a little different or are showing a lot of roots or are growing a strange way :)

Bill said...

An amazing looking tree, thanks for sharing.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I love trees and that one is wonderful.

Lowcarb team member said...

Reply to ... Practical Parsimony

Many thanks for your comment and for including the poem by Joyce Kilmer, I didn't know this poem, it was very nice to read.

All the best Jan

Teresa said...

Me encantan los árboles y esté es precioso. Besos.

William Kendall said...

Quite a tree.

baili said...

Oh I love trees I run out of words when want express my love for them