Total Pageviews

Friday 18 August 2023

Zucchini / Courgettes : Some Questions and Answers


Some call them courgettes, while others know them as zucchini ... but did you know this vegetable is a great low calorie, low carb option to include as a regular food choice in a diabetic diet. (Of course can be enjoyed by non-diabetics too.)

"Can a diabetic eat Zucchini or Courgette?

Yes. A diabetic can indeed eat zucchini or courgette. Experts say there are many benefits of including zucchini in a diabetic diet. Being low in calories and high in nutrition, zucchini or courgette is sometimes a super food for diabetics. Vitamin B is abundant in courgette. Zucchini is also rich in fibre and is a great food for diabetics.

What nutrients, vitamins and minerals are in courgette?

Courgettes contain protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, thiamine, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, copper, niacin, fibre,

Are courgettes low in carbs?

Yes, courgettes have around 3 gm of carbs per serving which is low.

Does zucchini raise blood sugar?

Courgettes have a low glycaemic index (GI) and so will not cause huge changes in blood sugar levels. Zucchini contains beneficial antioxidants that may help lower blood sugar or insulin levels. Diabetics find it hard to regulate blood sugar levels due to metabolic issues. Hence, zucchini is helpful in regulating blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetics.

Why are courgettes healthful? Why can a diabetic eat zucchini or courgette?

Some experts consider zucchini a super food. But why? To begin with, courgettes are low in calories and carbs and rich in water. This makes them a favourite food for anyone on a diet.

Zucchini does have reasonable levels of vitamin C which can boost immunity and potassium that can control blood pressure. Experts say including more potassium and less sodium in diet can significantly reduce your risk of stroke or heart attack.

Courgettes are also rich in vitamin A, folate and fibre. All these nutrients can help in keeping heart healthy. Thus, eating courgette regularly can boost your heart health and lower the risk of stroke, regulate blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.

Thus, eating courgettes every day may be a very good idea.

Does courgette help to lose weight?

Courgettes are really low in carbs and calories. That in itself is great for weight loss. Moreover, zucchini has plenty of water and fibre in it. Water in zucchini keeps you full for longer and makes you feel less hungry. This too helps with weight loss. So courgettes are very easy on your belly fat with just around 2gm of carbs and less than 1 gm of fat per 100 gm."
Words above from article here

Do you like eating zucchini/courgettes? They are certainly in my menu plans.

Related Posts
Diabetic Friendly Courgette / Zucchini Recipes, see here
Some clever courgette / zucchini tips, see here

We bring a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas to this blog, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy. Please note, not all may be suitable for you.

If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.

It is important to note that articles within this blog are provided for general information only and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. 

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I really like young zucchini. I am not fond of them when they grow bigger (as they seem to do overnight).

happyone said...

We sure do like zucchini here at my house!!!

Tom said...

...we enjoy them.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I love zucchini and buy them at the farmer's markets. The small ones are the most flavorful to me.

steve parker, M.D. said...

In preparation for the prophesied famine, I tried growing courgettes in my garden for the first time this last Spring. I had great success!. No bugs or other pests. Sautéed them in butter and EVOO with herbs and spices. Yumm!
-Steve

J.P. Alexander said...

Me gustan los calabacinates. Gracias por la información . Te mando un beso.

Margaret D said...

Interesting Jan.

Giorgio said...

Thanks for sharing useful information about such vegetable. We (Italians) call them zucchini 🥒🥒🥒 and this word is also used by people who live in American English speaking countries.

Have a nice weekend ☀️

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I enjoy courgettes, but it was only when I had a glut that I learned how many do not like them. I couldn't give them away!

roentare said...

I enjoy them too

Donna said...

We LOVE Zucchini anyway it's prepared!
hugs
Donna

Jo said...

Courgettes are so easy to grow too. I definitely enjoy them.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I do not often have zucchini, my hubby does not like it.
Take care, have a happy weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm also a fan of zucchini. Even though I'm not diabetic, I enjoyed learning about the fact it's considered a super food.

My name is Erika. said...

Fascinating. Zucchini is a great treat at this time of year, isn't it? Happy weekend to you both.

Jeanie said...

This i s interesting. At this time of year, they grow like weeds in a garden and the prices at market are very reasonable. Thanks for a really good overview, jan. Happy weekend.

Bill said...

We have ourgettes at least twice a week, I love them.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh Zucchini time and your post is most informative ~ thanks,


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Inger said...

I haven't had zucchini for a long time, but will remedy that next time I go to the store. Thanks for this informative post.

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

I like them a lot and are part of our diet, zucchini cooked in very different ways are exquisite.
Best regards.

Norma2 said...

I always have zucchini in my refrigerator. I even use it striped in the cake mix. This helps lower blood glucose rates when we eat a portion.
Saludos Jean

ashok said...

Never tried a zucchini..very uncommon veggie here

Fun60 said...

I like young courgettes but after reading the article I realise I need to eat a lot more of them.

CJ Kennedy said...

We're getting lots of zucchini from the garden

baili said...

What a healthy, nutritious and friendly veggetabl zucchini is .
Big thanks for sharing amazing facts about this gifted food dear Jan
I am happy we both are fond of it :)
Hugs and blessings

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Another very interesting post.
This year, my vegetable garden bore exceptionally delicious and various zucchini. I make some of them often.
Have a nice week.

Conniecrafter said...

I am glad my hubby likes them so well :)

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Mary Kirkland said...

I love zucchini. I made some zucchini patties the other day. You shred some zucchini and add it to ground chicken along with some spices and cilantro. Fry the small patties up and dip in guacamole. They are so good.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Zucchini ate so versatile and it’s great that they’re low carb.

William Kendall said...

I still have never eaten them.

Teresa said...

Suelo hacerlos en puré y a la plancha. Besos.

Bob Bushell said...

I love the Zucchini. I was living in Italy, I was first tried Zucchini, and I love it.

Snowbird said...

I love the yellow ones and always pick them when small.xxx