Total Pageviews

Wednesday 30 August 2023

The seven colours of the rainbow - do you eat them?

'Come on now eat your greens' ... is something my Mum used to say, and sure enough there was usually at least two green vegetables on my plate, very often peas and cabbage - and I did eat them up!

"Including vegetables in your diet is extremely important. Veggies are incredibly rich in nutrients and antioxidants, which boost your health and help fight off disease. Additionally, they are beneficial for weight control due to their low calorie content. Health authorities around the world recommend that adults consume several servings of vegetables each day, but this can be difficult for some people. Some find it inconvenient to eat vegetables, while others are simply unsure how to prepare them in an appetizing way."

Nowadays, when it comes to vegetables we could eat the colours of the rainbow, there are so many great colours to choose.

The colours of the rainbow are Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet. So starting with Red - how about red pepper or red tomato. Moving onto Orange - how about carrot or an orange pepper. Next is yellow - so it could be butternut squash or a yellow pepper. Yes, it's Green next - so broccoli or Brussel sprouts ... now the last three colours of blue, indigo and violet may be easier to achieve if we think of them as one! Aubergine (eggplant) is a good start, followed by purple cabbage and how about purple cauliflower!

Have you any rainbow favourites, do please share them ...


You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

22 comments:

roentare said...

Sounds like an interesting combo of colours for vegetable and fruit.

Teresa said...

Se ven preciosos. Besos.

Tom said...

...I just picked green peppers, tomatoes and eggplant from the garden.

Elephant's Child said...

I am a big fan of vegies with some rare exceptions. I only like carrots and capsicum raw and cannot face brussel sprouts - probably because my mother boiled then until they were grey and squishy.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Lovely assortment of veggies you have there! My family loves vegetables and I'm so glad they do!

Vagabonde said...

As a child I did not like vegetable much, apart from fried potatoes – but then are they in the rainbow? Now, I like veggies very much and some that I did not know when in France like broccoli, kale, okra, turnip greens, collard greens, Swiss chard – I eat many of them.

J.P. Alexander said...

Siempre hay que tratar de comer sano. Te mando un beso.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Any color veggie is welcome in my world. They are all welcome and wonderful.

Joyful said...

I'd heard long ago that we should aim for eating vegetables in all the colours of the rainbow. That really stuck with me and whenever I buy veggies I try to make sure I have different kinds and colours. My problem is overbuying and things go bad before they are used since my appetite is not that big. I will have to try harder to reduce what I buy and just try to get a few different ones here and there.

Jo said...

Yes, I do eat a good variety of 'colours'. Purple sprouting broccoli is a favourite.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Never seen purple cauliflower. Will search for it.

God bless.

My name is Erika. said...

It's hard to find purple foods, isn't it I try. But a reminder is always important. Happy last day of August.

Valerie-Jael said...

Colourful food is soooo good! Valerie

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde de quinta-feira. Gostei de todas as cores do arco-íris. Obrigado pela dica maravilhosa.

CJ Kennedy said...

I never thought of fruit being rainbow colored before.

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a helpful thought as I'm going through the produce aisles.

Lowcarb team member said...

Reply to VAGABONDE's question regarding potatoes and are they in the rainbow?

Many thanks for taking the time to comment... No they wouldn't be counted.

The paragraphs below taken from the UK's Health Service Site
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/5-a-day/5-a-day-what-counts/

"Do potatoes count towards my 5 A Day?
No. Potatoes are a starchy food and a great source of energy, fibre, B vitamins and potassium.

In the UK, we get a lot of our vitamin C from potatoes. Although they typically only contain around 11 to 16mg of vitamin C per 100g of potatoes, we generally eat a lot of them.

When eaten as part of a meal, potatoes are generally used in place of other sources of starch, such as bread, pasta or rice. Because of this, they don't count towards your 5 A Day.

Other vegetables that don't count towards your 5 A Day are yams, cassava and plantain. They're also usually eaten as starchy foods.

Sweet potatoes, parsnips, swedes and turnips do count towards your 5 A Day because they're usually eaten in addition to the starchy food part of the meal.

Potatoes play an important role in your diet, even if they don't count towards your 5 A Day. It's best to eat them without any added salt or fat.

They're also a good source of fibre, so leave the skins on where possible to keep in more of the fibre and vitamins.

For example, if you're having boiled potatoes or a jacket potato, make sure you eat the skin, too."

All the best Jan

happyone said...

I actually like vegetables more than fruit.

Louca por porcelana said...

Great tips! Thank you Jan. All the best!

Jeanie said...

I was just thinking you could do that with fruit -- strawberres, oranges (or cantaloupe), apricots, green grapes, blueberries and purple grapes. But I'm having trouble with indigo!

Conniecrafter said...

I will have to say I do get more greens in me then any other color but I do try to get more.

William Kendall said...

Never had purple cauliflower.