Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 November 2023

How Knitting Can Benefit Your Health

 Take Up Knitting ... it may help protect your brain against aging

How Knitting Can Benefit Your Health.



"Not only does knitting allow us to make cute beanies, cute Christmas/winter figures, socks, jumpers and more, the pastime can have a beneficial affect on our health and help to tackle stress and depression according to some studies.

As part of its 'This Is Your Brain series' CNN took a look at the effect knitting and other craft making can have on a person's health. Findings suggest that making woolen creations can help to ease anxiety.

"There's promising evidence coming out to support what a lot of crafters have known anecdotally for quite some time," says Catherine Carey Levisay, a clinical neuropsychologist and wife of Craftsy.com CEO John Levisay. "And that's that creating - whether it be through art, music, cooking, quilting, sewing, drawing, photography, cake decorating - is beneficial to us in a number of important ways."

Knitting has been named a "natural anti-depressant" in CNN's report, as crafters receive a surge of dopamine while their hands work.

CNN discuss one study of more than 3,500 knitters, published in The British Journal of Occupational Therapy, where 81% of respondents with depression reported feeling happy after knitting. More than half reported feeling "very happy."

The benefits of knitting isn't a new topic among psychologists. At a TED talk in 2004, psychologists Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi noted then when a person is completely absorbed by an activity, nothing else seems to matter.

"When we are involved in (creativity), we feel that we are living more fully than during the rest of life," Csikszentmihalyi said. "You know that what you need to do is possible to do, even though difficult, and sense of time disappears. You forget yourself. You feel part of something larger."

Studies have found intellectually stimulating activities can help prevent cerebral atrophy and significantly delay dementia.

Knitting stimulates many different areas of the brain including memory and attention span while involving your visuospatial processing, creative side and problem-solving abilities - therefore the pastime could also help protect your brain against aging.

"Studies have found intellectually stimulating activities can help prevent cerebral atrophy and significantly delay dementia.

Knitting stimulates many different areas of the brain including memory and attention span while involving your visuospatial processing, creative side and problem-solving abilities - therefore the pastime could also help protect your brain against aging."
The above article taken from here

I think anything we can do to help protect our brain against aging is helpful. Of course we do have to get old .. that is nature .. but perhaps we could do more to help ourselves, and our brain, stay as active as possible. Whether it be going out for a refreshing walk, or when indoors taking up, or doing some knitting, or perhaps crocheting....it is good to keep the mind active. Of course some may prefer doing a crossword puzzle ... the choice is yours!

~ cute Christmas/Winter figures ~

This blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! However, not all the recipe ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

32 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Another benefit of knitting is you get some personal and unique item when you finish. :) I'm glad to read this as I enjoy knitting. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

My mom would knit a lot in her later years, good to know the benefits.

Tom said...

...I think that I would be too clumsy.

Kim said...

Oh, I love knitting! It's is so relaxing.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por el consejo pero no soy para nada habil Te mando un beso.

angela said...

I started to knit and crochet when I was very ill. It helped to keep me sane when I couldn’t do much at all
Sometimes all I could manage was a few stitches of crochet and then id have to rest.
It was the only thing that kept me going. And now many years later I’m still creating with yarn. It helps to keep that black dog away

Margaret D said...

Interesting what's written Jan.
Crochet is what I do but not at the moment.

Elephant's Child said...

I do try and keep my brain active, but sadly my shaky hands means that craft work is difficult.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good to know, thank you!
My knitting basket will come off the shelf.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I have just, literally this weekend, taken up knitting again. All it's doing so far is causing me frustration lol

linda said...

I agree completely, knitting and crochet has got me through so many stressful situations ion my life.

Fun60 said...

I agree with you about exercising the brain as well as the body.

eileeninmd said...

It is good to keep your brain active, but my hands hurt doing common things.
The little figures are so cute.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

Donna said...

Never did learn to knit...crochet, instead.
hugs
Donna

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Nice entrance, it reminds me of times of my childhood, my mother liked to knit and she would put me with open arms holding the yarn while she made the ball, other times,
That is slowly disappearing.
Best regards.

DUTA said...

Right. In fact, any craft work is beneficial to health.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Knitting is fun, unless you have arthritis in your hands. :-(

Valerie-Jael said...

Knitting is fun! Hugs, Valerie

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh how I used to love kniting and crocheting! My eyes aren't that good anymore and I get headaches now if I try.

Inger said...

They taught us to knit in middle school, which tells you how old I am, I'm sure they don't do that any more. I hated it, but managed to knit a pair of socks, and believe it or not, I brought these socks with me to America so I guess I was proud of my accomplishment. Now I crochet and enjoy that a lot. I hope that's good for my brain too.

happyone said...

I learned how to knit when I was a kid and have enjoyed knitting all my life. :)

Luiz Gomes said...

Bom domingo e bom início de semana. Não sabia dessa função do tricô, dica interessante.

roentare said...

This is interesting

MELODY JACOB said...

This is great.

Conniecrafter said...

I so agree with this so much, I can be very stressed and then I will go into my craft room and I feel so much better, it can totally take my mind off of everything else.

Debbie said...

i am so glad i did not miss this!! as you know, i am crazy hooked on knitting. it has become a really big part of my life!!

Carla from The River said...

I enjoy sewing and knitting. Yes, it helps lift the stress, thank you for sharing this post.

Jeanie said...

I can vouch for that. I can't knit much anymore but I always loved it!

Shari Burke said...

Needless to say, I completely agree :-) I have a pair of Christmas socks on my needles--just about finished.

Snowbird said...

What an interesting post!xxx

Teresa said...

Hace años tejía bastante, luego bordaba y ahora lo tengo abandonado, pero me gusta mucho. Besos.

William Kendall said...

My mother knitted.