Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 November 2023

Foods to help slow aging and mobility issues


11 Foods to Help Slow Aging & Mobility Issues

Protecting your ability to move freely – without suffering and becoming dependent on drugs, devices, and other people – is mission-critical to protect your quality of life. The data shows mobility problems often begin at age 50 or younger. And for those 65 and older, mobility loss becomes the most common disability. However, you have immense power to avoid and even reverse this with very simple actions you can start taking right away. And one of the best places to start is by eating more anti-inflammatory foods, and foods that support muscle and bone health.

Eating a wide range of colourful foods is a great way to lower inflammation levels in the body and reduce risk of many chronic diseases, including heart disease, that can negatively impact your mobility. More specifically, you can focus on foods that contain good amounts of antioxidants, fibre, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids — all of which combat inflammation.

Protein is the most critical nutrient needed to build and maintain muscle strength. To maintain bone density, your body especially needs calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin K. These nutrients, combined with physical activity, help protect bone integrity as you age.

Eleven Foods To Eat More Of As You Age

1. Berries

Berries are rich in antioxidants, particularly anthocyanins.

2. Leafy Greens
Leafy greens are rich in carotenoid antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and E. Dark green veggies (kale, collards, Swiss chard, broccoli) include calcium as well as vitamin K - great for bone density.

3. Avocados
Avocados are full of healthy fats, soluble fibre, antioxidants, and vitamin E.

4. Beans And Lentils
Beans and lentils are great sources of fibre and plant-based protein - anti-inflammatory and great for building muscle strength. Tip - soak beans and lentils in filtered water to improve their digestibility.

5. Beets
Beets are rich in folate and antioxidants like betalains and beta-carotene. Nutritional powerhouses for healthy aging!

6. Citrus, Mangoes, And Other Vitamin C-Rich Foods
Vitamin C isn't just found in oranges! Try these different fruits to up your Vitamin C intake and flush your body with anti-aging nutrients.

7. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a good source of fibre and vitamin A. Plus, they're so versatile to use in meals!

8. Whole Grains
Whole grains like quinoa and oats are great sources of fibre, minerals, and B vitamins.

9. Nuts And Seeds
Walnuts, chia seeds, and hemp seeds are great sources of ALA omega 3s. Chia seeds and hemp seeds are also a complete protein, so work them into as many meals as you can!

10. Cacao/Cocoa
Cacao/cocoa has an outstanding antioxidant content and is rich in minerals like magnesium. Consider adding a healthy chocolate twist to your baking and desserts!

11. Green Tea
Green tea is full of polyphenols and the “super antioxidant” known as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Relax with a mug of this tea and enjoy the health benefits!
Above image from google.
Words above from article here


Why Berries Are Among the Healthiest Foods on Earth
more to read here 

Please note
Articles / studies within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your Doctor/local health care provider.

If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account, and if you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. I eat all of these - which is just as well because my mobility is definitely challenged.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this good list -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Margaret D said...

Interesting information Jan.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Good information - I do want to keep myself active as long as possible! Going to put this list where I can see it. Thank you for sharing - hope you have a good week! x Karen

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Interesting to read. My diet has been high in most of those for many years but has not prevented premature onset of age related mobility issues. I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones with bad genes.

roentare said...

Thank you for the wonderful reminder of great foods adding to health

Donna said...

They definitely help some, over the long run.
Better with than without!
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the list, I like most of these items.
Take care, have a great day!

Tom said...

...I haven't quite made it to the right!

roughterrain crane said...

Good information. I will have more green tea.

Jeff said...

With the exception of green tea, I regularly eat the rest of these foods-and still have crow's feet under my eyes :). But most people do think I'm ten years younger than I am.

Maria Rodrigues said...

Thank you for sharing this spectacular and informative article.
It is very important to maintain a healthy diet.
Hugs and all the best for you

Valerie-Jael said...

I have always followed a good diet, but have still become ill and need help to walk. Valerie

Bill said...

Thanks for sharing this info, Jan.

Divers and Sundry said...

Beets. I'm not going there lol I eat most of these, but I should ramp up the frequency and variety. Thanks for the list.

Carla from The River said...

I hear so much about green tea being good for you, I just do not like it. I will have to give it another try.
Carla

DMS said...

Great post! Lots of foods I love on this list- which is nice to see. ;)

happyone said...

I eat all except for 3.
Lots of good foods!!

Linda said...

I won't be eating beets! I do eat lots of healthful food. But, multiple back injuries need surgery before I can walk without pain, if I ever can walk normally again.

My name is Erika. said...

These are some of my favorites:)

Lorrie said...

I'm not fond of beans and lentils, but eat everything else regularly. I'm glad to be healthy and able to move well.

Snowbird said...

That is good to know!xxx

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan :=)

I wish I had known about these fruits and seeds, green tea etc when I was younger. All my doctor told me to do for healthy bones was to drink plenty of milk, and even though I did, I have to have full knee replacement surgery in the near future,...just waiting to be notified.

Conniecrafter said...

There are a few things I could add to my diet more often here :)

Teresa said...

Como de casi todo, me encantan. Besos.

William Kendall said...

Good information.