Total Pageviews

Wednesday 6 March 2024

Sausages with tomato, leek and butter bean mash : Mid-week meal


There are so many different types and flavours of sausages aren't there. I quite often get mine from a local farm shop (yum) but our local supermarket does have a very good variety too, and I always look for the ones that are 90% plus meat... 
Of course for vegetarians you will be looking for other ranges ...

I often serve sausages with some buttery mashed swede, it keeps the carb count down, but how about this alternative to the traditional 'bangers and mash'. Using mashed butter beans as a delicious alternative to mashed potatoes, flavoured here with leeks and tomato, and paired with Cumberland sausages. The original recipe shows carbs per serving as 28.4g so there may be some readers who find it will not fit into their LCHF menu plans - as always dear reader the choice is yours.

If you would like to give this dish a try please read on for the ingredients and method.

Ingredients
Serves Four
8 large sausages of your choice ...e.g. Cumberland
150ml (1/4pt) vegetable stock
2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained
1 tbsp. olive oil
500g (16oz) leeks, trimmed and sliced
1 tbsp. sun-dried tomato paste
3 tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
salt and pepper
Method
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high. Cook the sausages for 15 minutes, turning frequently, until golden all over and cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, put the stock and butter beans in a pan cook, uncovered, over a low heat for 10 minutes until the butter beans begin to soften. Season well, then roughly mash with a fork.
3. In a separate pan, heat the oil in over a medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 10 minutes until softened.
4. Add the leeks to the mashed beans and mix well, add the sundried tomato paste and half of the thyme. Stir well to combine, then divide between 4 plates along with the sausages. Scatter over the remaining thyme to serve.

Nutritional Information
Carbohydrate 28.4g Protein 26.9g Fibre 8.3g Fat 9.4g
Recipe and details from an original idea here

You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Catarina said...

My favourite meal!!

mxtodis123 said...

I love sausages, but my kidney doctor says no more. I still cheat once in awhile though.

Sandi said...

❤️

My name is Erika. said...

This looks good too. Your two most recent posts are making me hungry tonight.

Tom said...

...we had sausage tonight.

Mari said...

I've never heard of mashing butter beans. This looks really good! I love sundried tomatoes but have never seen it in a paste. I bet it adds a punch of flavor. I'm going to have to look for that.
Thanks for another yummy recipe!

Chatty Crone said...

I would never think of that combination myself - but it goes - and sounds good.

Angie's Recipes said...

Not something I eat, but it does look very moreish.

Christine said...

Looks delicious

Margaret D said...

Looks good Jan.

Sami said...

I like sausages, but hubby is not a fan, so I rarely make them. Will have to try this recipe though :) Thanks Jan

jabblog said...

i can almost taste the The butter bean mash with leeks.

Giorgio said...

What a good dish! In my country it's so popular in winter. Great to hear it contains only 9.4 grams of fat (both saturated and unsaturated).

eileeninmd said...

Looks tasty, a great meal.
Take care, have a great day!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

You've made me want to eat such sausages. This dish looks very delicious.
Greetings.

Jeanie said...

I never would have thought of mashing beans. Looks good!

CJ Kennedy said...

Sounds interesting.

Norma2 said...

Jan, How nice! Although you have to be careful about the amount of fat that sausages have depending on their variety. Best regards

DVArtist said...

Sausage yes, mash I am not sure about. Have a nice day today.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por l receta. Me diste hambre. te mando un beso.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yum! Again!
I had a craving for leeks. We like sausages, too. This might do us!

This N That said...

It looks good. I have never tried leaks.

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde de quarta-feira. Nunca provei ou comi. Mais parece muito DELICIOSO.

happyone said...

That looks wonderfully delicious. :)

Snowbird said...

The mash looks delicious, I'll have to try that!xxx

Mrs.B said...

This sounds good, I hadn't thought of mashing butter beans (hubby's favourite) will give this a try. Thanks
Avril xx

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

It sounds delish.

Conniecrafter said...

that is an interesting side dish to the sausages.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Would definitely open up one's taste buds ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Teresa said...

Buena receta. Besos.