Total Pageviews

Monday 22 May 2017

Low Carb Orange Mousse

Don't know about you - but I've always enjoyed mousse as a dessert, it's such a lovely way to round off a delicious meal. This lovely recipe is for a light and fluffy orange mousse and it makes a nice refreshing dessert, a great end to your low carb meal. You may add a splash of orange liquor, such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier, to give it an indulgent kick, but that is optional. 


Ingredients (make 8 small glasses):
3.2g carb per portion
4 sheets of leaf gelatine
zest of 2 oranges, juice of 1
4 eggs separated
100g erythritol (powdered)
300ml double (heavy) cream

Preparation:
1. Soak the gelatine in cold water to soften it. Heat the orange juice in the microwave for 30 sec. Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine, add to the hot juice and stir to dissolve. Set aside to cool.
2. Put the egg yolks, erythritol and orange zest into a bowl and whisk over a saucepan of hot water for 10 mins until thick and foamy. Remove from the heat and continue whisking until completely cool.
3. Fold the gelatine and orange mix into the egg yolk mixture. In separate bowls, whisk the egg whites and cream until both are softly stiff, then gently fold into the orange mix. Spoon into 8 glasses and chill until set. Decorate with slice of orange. The mousse can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Enjoy, I'm sure you will!

This lovely recipe idea is from Ewelina ... and here she is


Ewelina is a Type 1 Diabetic ... here is what she says "Diabetes and cakes doesn’t sound like a great combination. Well not to me, I have always loved baking and after diagnosis with diabetes type 1 in 2011 I had to find some way of combining these two. It is quite challenging and anyone who knows a little bit about baking will agree with me. How to bake without using flour or sugar?! After long research and checking hundreds of recipes I came across some great ideas. There are sugar substitutes that work quite well in most recipes and there are many different low carb flours and flour substitutes. I’m still learning and discovering new products and recipes but with every cake I make I know more and more. Now I’m convinced that low carb cakes can be delicious and we don’t need to feel sorry for not having regular cakes. Cakes from my blog are equally good (if not better) and you can eat them without worrying too much about your sugar levels"

... Enjoy

All the best Jan

21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the mousse looks delicious. It is nice to learn there are options for the diabetic that loves desserts. MY hubby is one! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

R's Rue said...

Love.

Jo said...

That looks lovely. I do love a mousse, though I can't remember having an orange one before, I must give this a try.

Martha said...

Oh, yummy! And it looks so pretty, too.

Tom said...

...looks cool and refreshing.

Valerie-Jael said...

Ewalina's recipe looks great! Hugs, Valerie

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I have eaten mousse but never made it... Your recipe looks awesome... Think I'll try it sometime...

I am glad to see more options for people with Diabetes.... Diabetes Type II is happening BIGTIME in our country... There's so much obesity due to the fast food and processed options out there for BUSY people...

Hugs,
Betsy

Mary Kirkland said...

I've never made mousse before but this sounds good and easy to make.

Lisa said...

I bet this is delicious with that orange fresh taste.
Lisa x

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks Jan, I haven't eaten mousse in a long time.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love orange flavor so I'd love this dessert! It looks so creamy and delicious and a bonus is that it is low carb.

Linda said...

This looks scrumptious! I want to try this. :)

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty and refreshing presentation.

Bob Bushell said...

Yum yum yummy.

Lady Fi said...

Mmm - delicious!

Phil Slade said...

That sounds nice and simple Jan. Might try it with lemon for the extra zing.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Looks divine!
xx

NatureFootstep said...

can I have one?

Sami said...

I love mousses, and this one look delicious, will give it a try for sure!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I do like mousses!

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you!! Delicious!!!