Total Pageviews

Wednesday 24 April 2019

Coconut and Chocolate Cake : Low in Carbs

Ewelina of Diabetic Good Baking blog loves cakes... but she says when she was diagnosed with diabetes she was terrified/worried that she wouldn't be able to enjoy her Sunday cake treat with a cup of coffee. Luckily reality is not that bad! There are many cakes that are suitable for diabetics and thanks to sweeteners you can reduce carbohydrates content a lot. A piece of cake with 5g of carbs sounds great and tastes delicious too. It’s easy to make and if you are a fan of coconut you will love this cake!


Ingredients (make 12 slices/pieces):
For coconut base:
6 egg whites
150g desiccated coconut
Equivalent of 200g sugar (e.g. Splenda)
2 tbsp. potato starch
1 tsp. baking powder
For chocolate cream:
250g mascarpone cheese
3 tbsp. cocoa
Equivalent of 3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. Greek yogurt or cream

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 170C and line springform tin with baking paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites to form soft peaks. Add the sugar (spoonful at a time) and continue whisking until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
3. In a medium bowl mix coconut, potato starch and baking powder and fold it in gently.
4. Pour the batter into baking tin and bake for about 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cake there for about an hour.
5. For the chocolate topping mix mascarpone cheese with sweetener, cocoa and yogurt. If it’s too thick add a bit more of yogurt or cream.
6. Spread the chocolate cream on top of cooled cake and decorate with coconut.

Carbohydrates (using Splenda and Greek style yogurt):

Whole cake 67.5g Carbohydrates 
One portion/slice 5.6g Carbohydrates
Recipe, and more, can be seen here
Need help with weight/measurement conversion see here


Dear reader, this blog brings a variety of recipe ideas and articles. It is important to note, that not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter.

All the best Jan

38 comments:

Jo said...

Yum, you can't go wrong with chocolate and coconut.

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds more than delicious, thanks for sharing. Valerie

Tom said...

...looks like something to try.

Catarina said...

Very tempting!!!
: )

CJ Kennedy said...

This sounds so delicious. Coconut and chocolate are heavenly.

Anonymous said...

This really sounds wonderful and we love coconut in this house!

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sounds delicious with a cup of tea!

mxtodis123 said...

Coconut and chocolate. My two favorites.

Christine said...

Delicious treat!

Lady Caer Morganna said...

Oooh, this looks like a wonderfully tasty recipe! A must try for me!!! Thank you for this!

Pam said...

Hi....I wanted to thank you for always stopping by the blog and leaving such sweet comments during my on and off days when I don't make it over to comment on others blogs. That is so sweet of you. Why is it that the best tasting stuff like SWEETS WITH SUGAR taste the best!!!! haha....have a great day.

My name is Erika. said...

I am drooling! Hugs-Erika

Carol Blackburn said...

Looks amazing! I just can't have this stuff in the house at all because I have absolutely no will power to fight the temptation. I have to save it for a super special occasion and make the smallest amount that I can. Once I get started, get out of the way.

Jeanie said...

This looks pretty delicious!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Does look good...Coffee is on

JFM said...

Oh my...how delicious is that!!!

Carla from The River said...

Oh my! Yes. I love coconut, but I am the only one in this house that does. Until Sam comes home, then I have a coconut loving Pal. ;-)

Mary Kirkland said...

Coconut and chocolate go good together.

Caty said...

OOhh Jan , this cake looks delicious, I love coconut and chocolate !! it seems to be an easy receipt, thank you very much for sharing it with us.
I wish you a very nice evening,
Big hugs, Caty

Snowbird said...

That does look delicious.xxx

Sue said...

Ooh this sounds lovely and as a fan of chocolate and coconut whats not to love. Sorry I've not been around lately but life's a bit stupid at the moment. Take care, Sue xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I'm allergic to coconut. I wasn't until just a few years ago, but something happened. I DO like the looks of that cake.

I also stopped by to let you know my original blog is functional again. I have even created a post, too!

Elephant's Child said...

It does sound good.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Now that sounds and looks very tasty. I like coconut and chocolate.

God bless.

happyone said...

Delicious looking!!!

Bill said...

Sounds and looks great.

Sandra said...

Oh. My. God. The coffee's on, bring the cake:)

magiceye said...

Seems yummy!

Chris Lally said...

A healthier choice for everyone :) Thanks, Jan!

handmade by amalia said...

The cake looks yummy, Jan, and not at all sinful. I like coconut and was just reading about its health benefits. Hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend!
Amalia
xo

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Hummmm deve de ser delicioso.
Um abraço e um bom 25 de Abril.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

PerthDailyPhoto said...

This is one I will pass on to Aimee Jan, she is the baker in the family 😊

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this cake looks and sounds delicious. YUM! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Enjoy your weekend!

Lee said...

I'm just now catching up on a lot...I've discovered....of posts you've posted while I've been otherwise occupied. I don't know where the days disappear to, and with a couple of public holidays tossed into the mix, they certainly mix things up!

Great lot of reading and pointers...so thank you for these. :)

Martha said...

This does look really delicious!

Bob Bushell said...

Lovely.

carol l mckenna said...

Oh so delicious looking! Yum!

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Crafty Green Poet said...

that looks delicious