Total Pageviews

Thursday 18 April 2019

Ginger Salmon with Bok Choy : Low Carb


My blogging friend Christine made a wonderful low carb dinner recently. It was for salmon with zucchini (courgettes) tomatoes and peppers, and you can see it here
Seeing it gave me an idea to share this low carb recipe suggestion. It's for Pan-seared salmon, coated with sesame and ginger, served with braised Bok choy … you may like to give it a try.

Ingredients 
Serves Four 
1 1/2 lb fresh Bok choy
4 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp Minced Garlic
3/4 cup (Low Sodium) Chicken Broth
1 1/2 lb salmon fillet in four portions
4 tsp sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 pinch salt

1 pinch Black Pepper

Method
1. Wash and dry Bok choy. Remove and discard rough stems and discoloured parts.
2. Chop leafy part crosswise into 2” pieces. Slice stems crosswise into 1” strips.
3. In large frying pan/skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Sauté garlic 1 minute.
4. Add Bok choy and broth, cover, and cook 5-6 minutes until stems are crisp-tender. Set aside in warm place.
5. In small bowl, combine sesame seeds and ginger. Massage spices onto surface of fish.
6. In large frying pan/skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over high. Place salmon, skin side down, in pan and cook 4 minutes; turn salmon and cook 4 additional minutes until internal temperature reaches 145°F.

7. Divide Bok choy between individual serving bowls. Add broth. Top each bowl with one serving of salmon. Season with salt and pepper.

From an idea seen here

Did you know that Bok Choy, otherwise known as ‘Chinese cabbage,’ is a nutritious vegetable that is high in calcium.
Aside from calcium, Bok choy is also full of vitamins, minerals, and health-supportive phytonutrients.
The vegetable is particularly high in vitamins A, C, and K.
As one of the best non-dairy sources of calcium, Bok choy offers 11% of the RDA per 100g.


You may also like to read about the health benefits of salmon, see here 

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. I do like bok choy. And ginger. I would braise it in vegie stock though.

William Kendall said...

As I'm not one for seafood, this one I would pass on.

happyone said...

mmmm that looks delicious.

Rose said...

I wish we liked salmon...but the two of us just don't but both girls love it!

Christine said...

Looks delicious Jan, thanks for the link too. I haven't pan fried salmon in awhile, it might be time to do it with ginger and sesame seed!

Tom said...

...Bok choy is another items that I've never had.

Catarina said...

A meal I like very much!
Had salmon for dinner.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love bok choy but we don't eat it often enough. This is a good reminder to go out and buy a bunch of it. It is delicious sauteed with the right spices.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Bok choy has been a bit of a go to vegetable for us recently, especially in stir fries, or as a side dish to protein-based asian meals, and we haven't had salmon for quite a while, so this looks like a recipe to try.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds great! Valerie

Sussi said...

Looks and sounds good!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Looks fabulous. :)
Happy Easter!

My name is Erika. said...

I love salmon. This meal looks so delicious. And easy-think I will be trying it next time I have salmon. I haven't cooked bok choy before it looks pretty simple to do. I love bok choy but have only had out in restaurants so it will be good to try it myself. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and Easter if you celebrate. Hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

This is such a perfect meal, thanks so much for giving us this today!

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, I will try this, but with white fish. Never had Bok Choy, but will try, if I find it.

R's Rue said...

Yum.
Happy weekend.

Jordi López Pérez said...

Mi mujer se frota las monos con tus articulos y con razón.
Un abrazo.

It's me said...

Mmmmmmm...i have also salmon for the weekend 💛🌞🧡🐥🐰🌼🐣🍀

CJ Kennedy said...

This looks so good!

Ygraine said...

Oh WOW...this looks absolutely superb...not to say mouthwateringly delicious!
This is going to have to be my Easter Sunday lunch!!
Oh thank you SO much 😊😊

Wishing you a very Happy Easter!

JFM said...

Looks great!
Wish hubby wouls eat fish but he won't :{

Jeanie said...

I love salmon, Jan. This looks delish!

NCmountainwoman said...

Looks great, Jan. I will definitely give this one a try.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I'm not much of a salmon guy...but reminds me we haven't had fish lately...lacing my shoes now to look at the market's sea bass today.

Ela said...

Yum yum, it looks so fantastic !!
Happy Easter !!

Susan Kane said...

I like bok choy. Went to a great Chinese restaurant and ate a goodly amount of it.

baili said...

we have no bok choy here though cabbage is common in winters here
thank you for tasty dish ,weather is coo enough to have fish yet

PerthDailyPhoto said...

This is one of my favourite meals Jan.. love salmon and Bok Choy, so tasty 💙