Total Pageviews

Monday 15 April 2019

Hot Cross Buns : Two Lower / Reduced Carb Recipe Suggestions

Who can resist a hot cross bun? With their combination of spicy, sweet and fruity flavours they have long been an Easter tradition and are traditionally eaten on Good Friday. Although if you are like me - they are often enjoyed on other days too! If you live the keto or low carb lifestyle you may be interested in these recipe suggestions …



Ingredients:
Makes 12 - 16
4.5 carbs per bun
4 tbsp. (60g) Chia Seeds
3/5 cup (150ml) Water
4 tbsp. (60g) Butter
6 Eggs, whisked
2 cups (210g) Almond Flour/Ground Almonds
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp. (30g) Psyllium Husk
1 tsp (5g) Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp (5g) Ground or grated Nutmeg
2 tbsp. Raisins
2 tsp (10g) Baking Powder
1 tsp (5g) Salt
For brushing the buns:
1 Egg yolk
1 tbsp. (15ml) Cream

Please see instructions here 


Ingredients:
Makes 8 Buns
Buns:
1/2 cup almond flour (50 g/ 1.8 oz.)
1 cup coconut flour (120 g/ 4.2 oz.)
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
12 large eggs
1 cup melted coconut oil (240 ml/ 8 fl oz.)
1 tbsp. water (15 ml)
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice or 1 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
1/4 cup granulated Erythritol or Swerve (50 g/ 1.8 oz.)
1/4 cup raisins or currants, chopped if too large (36 g/ 1.2 oz.)
1 tbsp. orange zest 

Glaze: 
1 large egg
1 tbsp. water
Crosses:
2 heaped tbsp. full-fat cream cheese (50 g/ 1.8 oz.)
1 tbsp. coconut milk, heavy (double) whipping cream or unsweetened nut milk of choice
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp powdered Erythritol or Swerve
Please see instructions here

    Of course, once you've made your low carb hot cross buns
    what you need to do next is make a nice cup of tea or coffee
    I'll just put the kettle on …



    You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. 


    couldn't resist sharing this cute picture 

    Enjoy your day
    All the best Jan

    29 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I’ve never used almond or coconut flour, I do make hot cross buns at Easter though,, this is a great option!

    sandy said...

    these look and sound delicious.

    Tom said...

    ...they look good!

    Christine said...

    Looks delicious, perfect for Easter!

    Elephant's Child said...

    I am very glad to hear that there are low carb alternatives. It is years since I have made Hot Cross Buns. My lazy self won't be making them this year either.

    Jeanie said...

    I've never made any hot cross buns but those look pretty delish!

    Valerie-Jael said...

    Both variations sound really good. Thanks. Valerie

    kathyinozarks said...

    I liked the second recipe til I saw the dozen eggs-um that's a bit much for me

    Lowcarb team member said...

    kathyinozarks said...
    I liked the second recipe til I saw the dozen eggs-um that's a bit much for me

    Hello Kathy, thanks for your comment.
    Although the original recipe says makes 8 buns, some prefer to make a slightly smaller bun and get 12 from this recipe, which then doesn't seem to make using 12 eggs quite so much.

    Also in the original recipe a large egg should be 50 grams … if your eggs are larger than this you may need to increase slightly the amount of flour you use.

    Careful weighing is needed.

    If you should have second thoughts about trying the recipe ...happy baking :)

    All the best Jan

    DeniseinVA said...

    Just in time Jan, I want to try this Hot Cross Bun recipe. Thank you and Happy Easter :)

    Miss Val's Creations said...

    Yummy buns! The photo of the bunny with the chick is so cute!

    peppylady (Dora) said...

    Never cooked with Psyllium Husk.
    Coffee is on

    Martha said...

    So delicious! What a lovely treat.

    Pam said...

    I have never used those flours before. I want to get back to ME and maybe bake some more bread. That would be a good one to try.

    RO said...

    I'm getting my tea ready now! Hugs....RO

    Lady Fi said...

    Mmm - delicious! Happy Easter.

    Sami said...

    I might have to make some, would probably go with the first recipe.
    Thanks Jan

    CJ Kennedy said...

    I love hot cross buns and may make them in all their carb glory as a cheat day for Easter. One thing that bothers me about Keto or Low-carb baking is the use of ingredients is extravagant. The second recipe shocked me. A dozen eggs? As much as I'd like to try the low carb version, cheap me won't sacrifice a dozen eggs.

    kathyinozarks said...

    thank you Jan-

    Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

    squeeeeeee love the bunny photo

    R's Rue said...

    I want.

    Zaa said...

    Super Recipe...I've never used almond oil although my daughter has been encouraging me ... I love hot cross buns.. so I guess I better-getting hopping and make this recipe..Thanks..have a Happy Easter.

    Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

    Oi, how cute!

    Lowcarb team member said...

    CJ Kennedy said...
    I love hot cross buns and may make them in all their carb glory as a cheat day for Easter. One thing that bothers me about Keto or Low-carb baking is the use of ingredients is extravagant. The second recipe shocked me. A dozen eggs? As much as I'd like to try the low carb version, cheap me won't sacrifice a dozen eggs

    Hello CJ and thanks for your comment.
    Eating low carb/keto doesn't have to be expensive and here are some articles that may interest you, and other readers.

    How to make a low-carb or keto diet cheaper
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cheap

    How Much Does Low Carb Cost?
    https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/much-low-carb-cost/

    Low-Carb Pantry Essentials
    https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/20-low-carb-pantry-essentials/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ditchthecarbs%2Fpkck+%28Ditch+The+Carbs%29

    With regard to the recipes for the lower carb hot cross buns, yes that second recipe does use a lot of eggs …
    I wonder if you may like this one?
    Low Carb Hot Cross Buns - it only uses four eggs and makes eight buns, more details here
    https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-hot-cross-buns/

    With Easter just around the corner, I wish you a Happy one :)

    All the best Jan

    William Kendall said...

    Oddly enough we didn't have them at Easter time.

    Lee said...

    Old traditions are hard to break....I never eat Hot Cross buns until Easter Sunday....as tempting as they may be beforehand! lol

    Snowbird said...

    They look lovely!That is such a lovely picture!xxx

    carol l mckenna said...

    Love the bunny and chick photos ~ so sweet and with delish hot cross bun recipe ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka ( A Creative Harbor)

    Magic Love Crow said...

    These are my mom's favourite! Thanks for the recipe! Happy Easter! Big Hugs!