Total Pageviews

Thursday 20 April 2023

Baked Aubergine / Eggplant Bruschetta ... Vegetarian and Lower Carb

Did you know that aubergines/eggplants are an excellent source of dietary fibre, they are also a good source of Vitamins B1 and B6 and potassium. In addition they are high in the minerals copper, magnesium and manganese. A 100g serving of raw aubergine/eggplant provides: 25kcal 1g protein 0.2g fat 6g carbohydrate 3.4g fibre. Aubergines are high in fibre and low in fat and therefore recommended for those managing type 2 diabetes or managing weight concerns.
There is more to read about the health benefits of aubergines/eggplants here


Why not try this Aubergine/Eggplant Bruschetta! Easy dinners don't have to be boring. This throw together one-pan wonder can be perfect for those dinners when you need something quick and easy.

Of course you can eat it as a vegetarian meal or just add some meat or fish … as always dear reader the choice is yours.

Ingredients
1 large aubergine/eggplant, cut lengthwise into 2 cm (1 inch) thick slices
Sea salt
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Cheese of choice - mozzarella, parmesan, cashew cheese
Handful of fresh basil
Bruschetta
250 g cherry tomatoes
1 small red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Method
1. Preheat oven to 400°F : 200°C : Gas Mark 6
2. Arrange aubergine/eggplants on a baking tray and sprinkle with salt.
3. Set aside while you put everything together - the salt will help absorb moisture which will allow the aubergine/eggplant to bake nicely.
4. To make your bruschetta mix, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
5. Drizzle both sides of the aubergine/eggplant with olive oil, top with cheese of choice and spoon bruschetta mix on top.
6. Bake aubergine/eggplant for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Garnish with basil and serve warm.
From original recipe here


You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e., use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

33 comments:

Lisabella Russo said...

This looks delicious! Thanks so much for the information and vegetarian recipe!

Tom said...

...a good summer dish.

Barwitzki said...

Thank you for the lovely recipe...I rarely use eggplant in my kitchen, the fruit looks so wonderful. I will definitely try your recipe.
Many greetings to you. Viola

roentare said...

Such a high fibre healthy brunch here

Teresa said...

Me encanta la berenjena. Besos.

Susan Kane said...

I love eggplant/🍆 recipe. This is one that I can make with only a view mistakes.

happyone said...

Yummy, we like eggplant here at our house! :)

Christine said...

So nutritious!

William Kendall said...

Thanks for sharing!

The Happy Whisk said...

I absolutely love, love, love eggplant.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso

Authors with Advice said...

Wow, thanks for this recipe.

Margaret D said...

Definitely have to add flavour to an egg plant.

Elephant's Child said...

That sounds good. Thank you.

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh, this makes my mouth water! Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Great recipe, I love eggplant.
Take care, have a great weekend!

My name is Erika. said...

I've always had sliced or chopped eggplant. This looks yummy. Happy almost weekend to you.

Donna said...

I love eggplant!
Happy weekend!
hugs
Donna

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't tend to cook this, or eat it, actually. It isn't something readily available in restaurants, either! This is a good idea.

Jeff said...

That looks good. I have yet to be able to grow eggplant here in the mountains, but am going to try again this year by growing them inside first.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I haven't made a dish like this in a long time. It's one of my favs too. My mother in law always had the best recipe. Thanks for sharing and for always visiting my blog. I sure appreciate your friendship! Hugs, Diane

Breathtaking said...

Hello :=)
Eggplant is on the menu quite a lot in my house, in soups, grilled, or roasted. Thank you for the recipe.
All the best.

Jeanie said...

I've only recently become fond of eggplant so it's nice to have a new recipe to add to the mix!

Conniecrafter said...

I have never tried anything like this.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

roughterrain crane said...

I love eggplant's texture and taste.

Snowbird said...

What an interesting meal, really tasty looking too.xxx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Any way you serve eggplant is good for me. We often buy the skinny eggplants, sometimes referred to as Chinese eggplant, and appropriately enough use it in Asian dishes.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I do like eggplants and enjoy them stuffed like in your recipe.

baili said...

mom loved eggplants and i too after my late twenties ,one of the most tasty veggie indeed
thanks for the recipe

Martha said...

This looks really yummy!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love this idea and can't wait to try it. I'll have to use vegan cheese but I think it work taste the same Thanks

Cherie said...

I love aubergine and this sounds delicious. Hopefully I'll have a decent crop this year.