Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 April 2023

Parsley : A Popular Herb With Health Benefits

Autumn Enloe MS RD LD writes:
"Parsley is a popular herb often used in American, European, and Middle Eastern cooking. It’s commonly used to elevate the flavour of dishes like soups, salads, and fish recipes. Aside from its many culinary uses, parsley is highly nutritious and has been shown to have many powerful health benefits. This article reviews parsley and how this impressive herb may benefit your health.


Rich in Nutrients
Parsley contains several important nutrients, such as vitamins A, K, and C. It’s also a good source of the minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium.

May Improve Blood Sugar
Elevated blood sugar levels can increase your risk of conditions like diabetes or metabolic syndrome. Some rat studies found parsley to effectively reduce blood sugar levels.

Can Benefit Heart Health
Parsley contains carotenoid antioxidants and vitamin C — both of which have been shown to benefit heart health.

May Aid Kidney Health
Parsley may help keep your kidneys healthy by fighting inflammation and reducing high blood pressure and your risk of kidney stones.

Other Potential Benefits
Parsley has antibacterial properties and may help support bone health, boost your immune system, and enhance liver health.

Easy to Add to Your Diet
Parsley is a versatile herb that’s easy to add to many dishes.

Here are some ways to add parsley to your diet:
Use as a garnish on pasta or soups.
Chop and add to salads.
Use in egg bakes or frittatas.
Make a pesto with pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley.
Add to smoothies for a nutrient and flavour boost.
Use on homemade pizza.
Add to homemade bread.
Use in homemade juices.
Add flavour to sauces, soups and stews.
Incorporate into marinades and dressings.
Use to flavour fish, poultry, and meat dishes.

How to Store Parsley
To best store:
Fresh parsley, you first need to remove the bottom of the stem. Do not rinse. Fill a glass or jar halfway with water and place the stem ends into the water. If you keep the plant in the refrigerator, it’s best to loosely cover it with a plastic bag. Otherwise, parsley can be kept at room temperature. Change the water every couple of days and discard the herb once the leaves start turning brown. This way, your herb may stay fresh for up to two weeks.
Dried parsley, can last in an airtight container in a cool, dark environment for six months to one year.

The Bottom Line
Rich in antioxidants and nutrients like vitamins A, K, and C, parsley may improve blood sugar and support heart, kidney, and bone health. What's more, this herb can easily be added to many tasty dishes. Parsley stays fresh for up to two weeks, whereas dried parsley may last up to a year. Adding parsley to your diet can boost your health while adding flavour to your favourite recipes."

The above is only a snippet of Autumn's article, read it in full with all related links here

I wonder do you like parsley? Do you use it in your recipes?

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

35 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Believe or not. I eat parsley.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Christine said...

I should get some parsley

J.P. Alexander said...

Yo adoro el perejil me encanta como sirve para las comidas y para la salud. Te mando un beso.

Tom said...

...we use just dry parsley flakes.

Elephant's Child said...

I am not really a fan. I will have to do better.

Margaret D said...

Lovel parsley and use it a lot, have plenty growing in the garden.

Donna said...

I need to plant a bed of parsley...Thanks for the reminder!
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I have used parsley in various recipes.
Thanks for sharing this information.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love parsley. I remember my great aunt making steamed fish with parsley sauce, so yummy! Valerie

roentare said...

I eat parsley quite a lot. It is a good appetite suppressant

Martha said...

Lots of good info! I always have some on hand.

Catarina said...

I haven't bought parsley for a few weeks now.
I am happy to be reminded of how healthy this herb is.
Thank you.

CJ Kennedy said...

I didn't know parsley had so many health benefits

Teresa said...

Sí, yo uso bastante perejil, sobre todo en adobos para la carne. Besos.

William Kendall said...

Very informative.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Interessante estes benefícios.
Um abraço e bom Domingo.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Bill said...

We used parsley all the time.

Barwitzki said...

I really like parsley and always have some in the freezer in case I need some and don't have fresh ones.
Now there is wild garlic in my garden... I use it very often now.
I wish you a happy Sunday evening.
Viola

Jenn Jilks said...

I really ought to grow some!

happyone said...

Very familiar with parsley and use it often.

Jeanie said...

I've always liked parsley -- it gives everything a little flavor boost!

Kinga K. said...

I use it all the time :D

Creations By Cindy said...

I love using parsley and especially fresh! Love the read today. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

My name is Erika. said...

Isn't it interesting how healthy so many herbs are?

DMS said...

I like parsley, but realized reading this that I barely use it at home. I will have to get some. I had no idea how healthy it is! Thanks for sharing. :) ~Jess

Conniecrafter said...

I don't use it in my cooking but it sounds like a good thing to start, didn't realize all the benefits!

Jo said...

My mum used to make fish with parsley sauce, delicious. It's good to know its health benefits.

roughterrain crane said...

I like to eat sashimi with parsley.

Divers and Sundry said...

I keep dried parsley and use it a lot. I grew parsley in pots on the patio several years, hoping butterflies would find it. That effort failed. I'm growing dill this year.

Rain said...

I've never liked the taste of parsley but I still use it in cooking. As long as it's really ground up well, I don't notice it. I do love the health benefits though!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Parsley is one herb I cannot seem to grow. I've tried various varieties and none like living at my house, even though I love it!

Sue said...

I don't mind a bit of parsley, but I once had a parsley salad on holiday, and all I literally got was a very large bowl of parsley - not so good lol! Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Debbie said...

i love fresh herbs and they grow very easily in my garden!!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I had never paid attention to parsley this much. One would think that I would have--considering that I tend to put it in almost everything. I guess I will just be glad I do.

Bob Bushell said...

Parsley has a beautiful odour, it is splendid taste Jan.