Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 April 2023

Suggestions For Low Carb Potato Substitutes : Helpful For Diabetics

For those readers who are diabetic they will know that the chief symptom of diabetes is an elevated blood glucose level. Whilst some medications can help Type 2 diabetics to reduce blood glucose, far more significant a factor is a reduction of those foods in the diet which raise the levels in the first place. This is not just obvious sugars in sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits, breakfast cereals and so on but most carbohydrates as well.

Carbohydrates metabolise quickly to sugar in the system (some take a little longer than others) and so for diabetics they act basically as if they were sugar. So you need to cut out starchy carbs as much as possible, including bread, potatoes, pasta and rice.

Many who do live a low carb lifestyle may miss potatoes. They are so versatile, so once you cut out potatoes, you also cut out fries, crisps, mash, roast potatoes etc.

Don’t despair. There is another way.

The potato might be the most popular root vegetable, but it isn’t the only one.

Its siblings in the root vegetable family are less famous but taste just as good, and they contain less starch and fewer carbs.

Here are seven suggestions:-

Celeriac – 7g net carbs, 42cal per 100g

Daikon (aka mooli) – 2g net carbs, 18 cal per 100g

Swede (aka rutabaga) – 5g net carbs, 35 cal per 100g

Turnips – 4g net carbs, 28 cal per 100g

Kohlrabi – 2g net carbs, 27 cal per 100g

Cauliflower – 2g net carbs, 23 cal per 100g

Courgettes (aka Zucchini) – 2g net carbs, 20 cal per 100g

The above words are snippets taken from '7 Low-Carb Potato Substitutes (and how to cook them all)' which can be read in full here and 
'Introduction to low-carb for beginners' which can be read here

Eddie and I enjoyed celeriac mash recently with Mustard and Sage Chicken
more details here



You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Catarina said...

This info is what I really needed.
Thanks!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por el consejo. Te mando un beso.

Tom said...

...a couple, I'm not familiar with.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. I really should do more with celeriac - which isn't always available here.

DeniseinVA said...

This is all good to know and am bookmarking your post. Thank you Jan and all the best :)

Christine said...

My hubby uses a lot of cauliflower

Practical Parsimony said...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=cold+potatoes+low+glycemic+index&form=ANNTH1&refig=923389691f8e4dfd99ed2679a05f3212&sp=5&lq=0&qs=UT&pq=cold+potatoes&sk=AS1LT2UT1&sc=10-13&cvid=923389691f8e4dfd99ed2679a05f3212#:~:text=potatoes%20glycemic%20index-,Cold%20Potato%E2%80%99s%20Have%20A%20Lower%20Glycemic%20Index.%20They%20found%3A%20%E2%80%9CCold%20storage,with%20GI/II%20of%20freshly%20boiled%20potatoes%20(168/185).,-Cold%20Potato%E2%80%99s%20Have

Well, that is a horrible link and I don't know if it works! But the glycemic index is improved when cooked potatoes are cooled. That works for me and potato salad.

Practical Parsimony said...

The message in last link:

"Cold Potato’s Have A Lower Glycemic Index. They found: “Cold storage of boiled potatoes increased resistant starch (RS) content significantly from 3.3 to 5.2% (starch basis). GI and II of cold potatoes added with vinegar (GI/II=96/128) were significantly reduced by 43 and 31%, respectively, compared with GI/II of freshly boiled potatoes (168/185)."


That is a significant reduction!

Fun60 said...

Celeriac mash. Something I have been meaning to try for ages but haven't.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love all of the veggies, but wouldn't want to miss out on my potatoes! Haved a great day, Valerie

Donna said...

I've heard turnips ca taste a Lot like potatoes...True??
Maybe I'll experiment...Thank you!
hugs
Donna

Anne C said...

The small round radishes can be washed and left unpeeled as a pretty good swap for new potatoes in a stew or a sheet pan dinner.

Susan Zarzycki said...

As usual your information is very informative and useful. I am not familiar with several of the swap options but I intend to research them because I have been diagnosed hyperglycemia and really need to shy away from my beloved potatoes. Enjoy your Spring time whatever you are doing and thanks for the recipe!❤️

happyone said...

I like potatoes too much to give them up. Thankfully I don't need to!! :)

Chatty Crone said...

Why do things always look better when someone cooks them for you! lol

Hey, I will be off internet services for about a week because of the move. I will be back! ☺

Rain said...

This post was made for me Jan! I have so much trouble digesting potatoes, though I love them so much! I've always wanted to try mashed celeriac, thanks for the post! ♥

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sadly, I like all those starchy carbs. Most vegetarians will, too.

Barwitzki said...

...Today I'm making broccoli soup with parsnip and root parsley and it's topped with smoked salmon... I like it.

Teresa said...

Muy interesante para mi marido. Besos.

R's Rue said...

Yum.

Bill said...

Thanks for sharing.

William Kendall said...

Cauliflower I like.

Martha said...

Good suggestions! And that chicken recipe looks so delicious.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan :=)
I don't eat a lot of potatoes, mainly rice and pasta, with perhaps some roast potatoes at weekend, but I like courgettes, and add them mashed to any meal. I haven't tried Celeriac mash.because it isn't always available in the supermarket, but I will do now, whenever I see it.
All the best.

Conniecrafter said...

I do like my potatoes, I told hubby if I ever became diabetic I would cry for missing potatoes, we went to eating red potatoes hoping they were better than the others.

Debbie said...

a great suggestion...but i LOVE potatoes!!

Divers and Sundry said...

I'd just as soon do without than have some of these lol but I don't often eat potatoes.

Ananka said...

These are good suggestions. I used a lot of Aubergines and Courettes when watching the carbs.