Total Pageviews

Monday 10 April 2023

Real Food Is Good : 21 Reasons Why You Should Eat It


Franziska Spritzler RD CDE writes:

"Real food is food that is as close to its natural state as possible.

It is primarily:
  • unprocessed
  • free of chemical additives
  • rich in nutrients
However, since processed foods became popular in the 20th century, the Western diet has shifted more toward ready-to-eat meals.

While processed foods are convenient, they can also potentially affect your health. So following a diet based on real food may be one of the most important things you can do to help maintain good health.

Here are 21 reasons to eat real food:

1. Loaded with important nutrients

2. Low in sugar

3. Heart healthy

4. Better for the environment

5. High in fibre

6. Helps control blood sugar

7. Good for your skin

8. Helps lower triglycerides

9. Provides variety

10. Costs less in the long run

11. High in healthy fats

12. May reduce disease risk

13. Contains antioxidants

14. Good for your gut

15. May help prevent overeating

16. Promotes dental health

17. May help reduce sugar cravings

18. Sets a good example

19. Gets the focus off dieting

20. Helps support local farmers

21. Delicious

The bottom line
Real food is just one component of a healthy lifestyle. It’s also important to get plenty of exercise, lower your stress levels, and maintain proper nutrition. But there’s no doubt that eating more real food will go a long way toward improving your health."

The above is just a snippet of Franziska's article, you can read it in full here


Dear reader - you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas, within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health, it is always advisable to consult your doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Tom said...

...good things to remember.

Anonymous said...

I have been staying away from processed food, and just eat natural foods. Also, I hardly ever eat junk food anymore which has made a big difference in my weight.

My name is Erika. said...

This post makes a really good point. Happy new week.

Christine said...

Here's to real food!

J.P. Alexander said...

Muy cierto . Buen articulo. Te mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

15 I should pay real close attention to.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

roentare said...

You speak wisdom!

Donna said...

Good advice!
hugs
Donna

eileeninmd said...

Great post, I like to eat!
Thanks for sharing!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also try to eat real food. I also try to have an avocado every day. Now that eggs don't cost more than diamonds, I include those in my meals, too.



Martha said...

Yes to all of this! Words of wisdom.

CJ Kennedy said...

As always helpful information

Ananka said...

So true :-D We all need to eat well.

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with you 100%. I don't always do it, but I wish I did.
Did have a bowl of oatmeal - homemade 5 minute kind this am with salt and low fat milk.

Hilly Nicolay said...

Good food certainly contributes to good health.

Read with pleasure.

All the best to you,
Hilly

Divers and Sundry said...

I do eat processed food but try to eat as much "real" food as possible. Good information, thanks!

Creations By Cindy said...

I always enjoy your posts. YES words of great wisdom. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jeff said...

Good advice and I have my tomatoes planted inside and they're just breaking the soil... in four weeks, they'll be in the garden as I grow my own real food (I get eggs and beef from local farmers)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good information
During a conversation about a grocery store flyer, I realize I don't read them because my shopping is produce, meat, grain and taxables whether on sale or not.

Carla from The River said...

I agree.. High Fives to Real Food!!!

This N That said...

That Salmon looks yummy...Hope you had a nice Easter..

happyone said...

All great reasons.

Sue said...

I do try to eat fresh food, but chocolate tastes so good too lol. Have a very happy week, Sue xx

Cherie said...

I'm trying to grow as much of the food we eat as I can. It's a great hobby and pays for itself many times over in terms of wonderful organic produce.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I try to eat good food but I do stray at times.

Conniecrafter said...

I wish I could stick to this I know I would feel so much better

William Kendall said...

Quite timely.

Alicia said...

Great post. Eating real foods requires shopping for, prepping, cooking and cleaning up after preparing real food and we often get caught up in the ease of using processed foods. I remember growing up as a kid, we ate our meals, made from scratch by our mom and that was it, we never snacked. Now it seems we are constantly grazing from chips to cookies then back to chips. Our bodies crave salty and once we give it salty it craves sweet and it's a never ending circle. thank you for providing the link for me!

Lowcarb team member said...

REPLY TO Alicia ... part of her comment said "thank you for providing the link for me!"

So pleased the link I left on your recent blog post worked okay :)
Also so pleased you found this post helpful.

Have a good 2024.

All the best Jan