Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 September 2023

'Keep busy : More hobbies, less depression'



"Hobbies linked to lower depression levels among older people.

by University College London

Having a hobby is linked to fewer depressive symptoms and higher levels of happiness, self-reported health and life satisfaction among people aged 65 and over, and this holds true across 16 countries on three continents, according to a new study led by UCL (University College London) researchers.

The study, published in the journal Nature Medicine, aimed to see if the benefits of hobbies were consistent in different national settings, and looked at data from 93,263 people aged 65 or over who had enrolled in five existing longitudinal studies in England, Japan, United States, China and 12 European countries.

Analyzing data from participants spanning four to eight years, the researchers found that having a hobby was also linked to subsequent decreases in depressive symptoms and increases in happiness and life satisfaction, suggesting there might be a causal effect, although as an observational study it could not prove causality.

These results remained after adjusting for other factors such as partnership status, employment and household income.

The study found the benefits of having a hobby were relatively universal, with only small differences between countries.

Lead author Dr. Karen Mak (UCL Institute of Epidemiology & Health Care) said, "Our study shows the potential of hobbies to protect older people from age-related decline in mental health and well-being. This potential is consistent across many countries and cultural settings."

"Of the four outcomes, life satisfaction was most strongly linked to hobby engagement. Hobbies may contribute to life satisfaction in our later years through many mechanisms, including feeling in control of our minds and bodies, finding a purpose in life, and feeling competent in tackling daily issues."

"Theoretical work suggests the relationship between hobbies and well-being may cut both ways—that people with better mental health may be more likely to take up a hobby, and persisting with a hobby may help us to retain improved life satisfaction."

"Our research also supports policymakers in promoting access to hobbies among older people as a way to enhance their well-being and health."

Hobbies, defined as activities people engage in during their leisure time for pleasure, might range from volunteering or being part of a club to reading, gardening, playing games, and arts and crafts.

The researchers found the proportion of people who said they had a hobby varied considerably between countries, with 51% of study participants in Spain reporting having a hobby, compared to 96% in Denmark, 95.8% in Sweden and 94.4% in Switzerland.

China had the lowest level of hobby engagement, at 37.6%, but researchers cautioned that study respondents in China were asked only about social hobbies, not hobbies in general.

In countries with better life expectancy and national happiness levels, more people reported having a hobby, and also the link between well-being and having a hobby was stronger in those countries."

Above words, and more to see from article here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

A hobby is considered to be a regular activity that is done for enjoyment,  typically during one's leisure time. I enjoy reading and walking and yes, I also enjoy blogging, I wonder if that counts as a hobby 😉
You can see 'the ultimate list of hobbies' here
Do you have a hobby?

Articles, studies etc found within this blog are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, including medication, you should contact your local health care provider.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Christine said...

Wonder if blogging qualifies as a hobby?

Elephant's Child said...

Interesting, though I do wonder whether it is a bit of a chicken and egg question. Blogging certainly counts as a hobby.

Margaret D said...

Interesting read Jan.

Tom said...

...my blog keeps me busy.

J.P. Alexander said...

Buen consejo. Te mando un beso.

roentare said...

Yeah, it makes sense. I am doing a few hobbies filling out my whole week schedule.

baili said...

what a beautiful post dear Jan!

loved the topic ,although i get less time for doing things i love yet i know how crucial is to engage in a hobby to feel light and strong mentally
thank you so much for treasured sharing
hugs

Rustic Pumpkin said...

With tongue in cheek, I can also say more hobbies, less money in the bank! On a serious note, though. I do find that creativity helps me immensely when the days are dark with my Parkinson's disease. I plan to keep on creating. especially painting for as long as I can manage to hold a brush. It helps to ease my tremors. It is the only time I feel like me these days.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I tried learning to play the guitar. I failed ... and got depressed.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
It makes sense, great post and information.
Take care, have a great day!

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Totally agree, my two hobbies since childhood are music and painting, they have always gone with me but as a result of a strong and hard health crisis, painting surfaced above all and made me take the brushes and see another world different from the one lived so far.
Best regards.

Bill said...

Interesting read!

Debbie said...

i could not agree more. and believe me, i have a lot of hobbies!!

Jeanie said...

I couldn't agree more!

MELODY JACOB said...

Great topic and insightful
https://www.melodyjacob.com/

Angie's Recipes said...

An interesting article...thanks for sharing!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I think that anything someone dos for enjoyment or relaxation can be considered as a hobby and mine include those you mentioned, walking and reading, and blogging as well as photography and travel.Sometimes, just relaxing and doing nothing is also a great pastime.

Conniecrafter said...

I totally agree with this statement, being able to go in my craft room and create just calms me down and can relieve any stress I am under, I took up junk journaling last year and that is another great way to relieve stress! I do need to have more active hobbies though I think

Fun60 said...

It seems that keeping busy with things you enjoy doing leaves you no time to become depressed.

Valerie-Jael said...

That is good advice! I am always busy, and I like it that way! Valerie

happyone said...

So true.
I have lots of hobbies - who has time to be depressed! :)

My name is Erika. said...

This is really interesting and good to read. I have too many hobbies-not that I want to get rid of any of them. But know creating art definitely makes me feel good, even when I'm down.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Oh, yes, definitely! I find blogging to be a very rewarding hobby. I also enjoy kayaking, hiking, gardening, reading, travel, music and yoga. I think hobbies are key when it comes to emotional balance and happiness.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It definitely makes sense. I am retired and blogging is one of my hobbies. I enjoy it, it's stimulating, and keeps me busy.

Kay said...

Blogging is definitely my hobby now too. Creating the Family History photobooks for the kids was also another hobby I had during the pandemic.

Linda said...

I’m surprised that the number wasn’t 99%. Most people over 65 have a hobby, whether they realize it or not. I suspect that people define hobby according to the culture. Yes, blogging is a hobby, unless you are doing it for money or free stuff, which is not often successful. My other hobbies include taking pictures and exploring the countryside. But if I thought hobbies were only collecting items, I might respond that I didn’t have one. On second thought, I do collect some things, like local art and books.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Interesting, I have lots of hobbies.

Teresa said...

Muy interesante. Tengo varios pasatiempos que me encantan. Besos.

William Kendall said...

Photography and blogging is my hobby, but depression is always going to be with me.