Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 September 2023

P is for Pumpkin

image from here

Pumpkin season is here again … from pumpkin spice lattes to big Halloween decorations, this savoury orange fruit will be everywhere you look; and did you know you can eat every part of a pumpkin? Yes, from the skin to the seeds and even the stalk, you can eat it all roasted or steamed, sweet or savoury.

With so many ways to enjoy pumpkin, you may be interested in knowing some of the top health benefits of eating this versatile fruit.

1. Low Calorie, High Nutrient Content
Being 90% water, pumpkins are a low-calorie food with plenty of beneficial nutrients. They’ve got more fibre than kale, more potassium than bananas, and are full of magnesium, manganese, and iron. Pumpkins are also a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Riboflavin.

2. Powerful Anti-Inflammatory
Pumpkin seeds, or pepitas, are a perfect snack and work as well as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in reducing symptoms of inflammation. Plus, they’re even better than drugs because they taste great and don’t have any of the negative side-effects!

3. Anti-Cancer Properties
Pumpkins are incredibly rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that has been linked with reducing the risk of cancer. Studies have shown that populations with high levels of beta-carotene in their diet had lower population-wide rates of cancer.

4. Great Source of Protein
One serve of pumpkin provides 4% of recommended daily protein values, which is good news for non-meat eaters looking to increase their protein intake.

5. Good For Your Eyes
Vitamin A is essential for good eye health, helping the retina absorb and process light, and pumpkins contain a high percentage of your daily requirement in just one serving! Additionally, lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants found in pumpkin, support the prevention of cataracts and may slow the development of macular degeneration.

6. Supports Your Immunity
The large amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin C found in pumpkin help protect your body and recover more quickly from infections, viruses, and diseases. Pumpkin oil can also help fight against bacterial and fungal infections.

7. Good For Your Skin
The properties of pumpkin can protect your skin from harmful UV rays, plus the pulp is a popular ingredient in natural face masks that leave your skin looking fresher and younger.

8. Helps Treat Baldness
While chemical treatments exist to treat baldness, they come with a number of side effects. The natural pumpkin seed oil alternative encourages hair growth by blocking the body’s process of creating a particular hormone that shrinks hair follicles.

9. Helps Heal Wounds and Burns
Pumpkin oil has been found to have healing properties, with tests on second-degree burns on rats showing a positive impact on the closing of wounds by increasing the production of collagen by 65%.

10. Good for the Heart
The high amount of potassium found in pumpkin is great for the heart, regulating blood pressure and supporting cardiovascular health. Studies have indicated that the consumption of the right amount of potassium is as important for hypertension and high blood pressure as is the minimization of sodium intake.

To reap the most benefits from pumpkins, be sure to opt for real, whole pumpkin rather than canned pumpkin pie mix, as it typically contains added sugars and syrups.

A word of caution … Pumpkin is mildly diuretic and could be a problem for people who take certain medications, especially lithium.
Most words above from article here


Thai Pumpkin Soup
A low carb high fat Thai pumpkin soup for cooler days.
It’s dairy-free, too! See recipe here

You will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas within this blog and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Norma2 said...

Jan, For you begins the time for comer soups!! Around here we are leaving them little by little.

Tom said...

...pumpkin is the flavor of the season.

chica said...

Adoro abóbora de todas as formas e nas sopas, mais ainda... E quantas propriedades ela tem! beijos praianos, chica

Jules said...

I didn't realise that eating pumpkins had so many benefits. X

Margaret D said...

Informative article on the pumpkin Jan.

Unknown said...

I love pumpkin anything. It's time to make my pumpkin cake with dark chocolate chips. It's so good and even healthy-ish.

Stefania said...

Quando ero piccola non sopportavo per niente la zucca, se me la proponevano era una tragedia.
È stato intorno ai 25 anni che ho scoperto, anzi riscoperto la zucca che adoro e che mi piace gustare sotto varie forme

Elephant's Child said...

I adore pumpkin. My father didn't like it so it wasn't served when I was growing up. I make the most of it now.

roentare said...

You just convince me to drink pumpkin soup everyday

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Love the pumpkin field photo.
It is great to know the health benefits of pumpkin, I love it.
Take care, have a happy day and great new week!

TODAY said...

Hi, My name is Ashu Rana, Founder https://mintosnews.blogspot.com . I am a social and Tech blogger. Our motive to build this website to provide News, like Art and Culture, Business, Education, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Personal Development, Sports and Technology.

Donna said...

My downfall...pumpkin pie...lolol
hugs
Donna

linda said...

I think they are so colourful and perfect for the season, my MIL used to make candied pumpkin and it was yummy.

Christine said...

So nutritious!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan :=)
My daughter has been making Pumpkin soup for me for weeks now, and I love it. It's nice to know the health benefits from eating it too. Thank you!:=)
My best wishes
Sonjia.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The Thai soup sounds wonderful. The ginger is a nice change from the usual cinnamon.

My name is Erika. said...

I love pumpkin just about everything. But only in the fall of course. Happy new week.

happyone said...

We like pumpkin here at my house. :)

Teresa said...

Antes plantaba calabazas en el huerto, tendré que volver a plantarlas. Besos.

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

chica said...
Adoro abóbora de todas as formas e nas sopas, mais ainda... E quantas propriedades ela tem! beijos praianos, chica

I love pumpkin in all shapes and in soups, even more... And how many properties it has! beach kisses

Stefania said...
Quando ero piccola non sopportavo per niente la zucca, se me la proponevano era una tragedia.
È stato intorno ai 25 anni che ho scoperto, anzi riscoperto la zucca che adoro e che mi piace gustare sotto varie form

When I was little I couldn't stand pumpkin at all, if they proposed it to me it was a tragedy.
It was around the age of 25 that I discovered, indeed rediscovered the pumpkin that I love and that I like to taste in various forms

Teresa said...
Antes plantaba calabazas en el huerto, tendré que volver a plantarlas. Besos

Before I planted pumpkins in the garden, I will have to plant them again. Kisses

Jeanie said...

I didn't know pumpkin was an antiinflammatory == that's valuable info for me right now. I have to radically restrict tyromine foods (all my favorites, of course) for two weeks, but I think pumpkin is OK.

RINCÓN DE EXPRESIÓN said...

Wish you a happy Fall season.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Interesting information about pumpkins, thanks for sharing. I really like pumpkin pie, but don't have the chance to eat it very often.

Conniecrafter said...

On of those things I love about Autumn season :)
That it is good for my eyes is even better reason to eat it :)

William Kendall said...

Good information!

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't eat pumpkin, but I always have 2 or 3 for decorations during the fall.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I love the pumpkintime, so yummy !