Total Pageviews

Saturday 23 September 2023

Autumn is a wonderful season ...

Autumn
'Every leaf speaks bliss to me,
fluttering from the Autumn tree
Emily Bronte


There are two different dates when Autumn could be said to begin. Autumn, as defined by the Earth's orbit around the Sun, begins on the equinox which falls on 22 or 23 September. This year 2023, Autumn begins on 23rd September and lasts until 22nd December. However, to record climate data, it is important to have set dates that can be compared, so meteorological autumn always begins on the 1st of September.

I thought for this post I'd have a play on the letters that make up AUTUMN, and choose a food from each! I wonder would these have been your choices? Read on and have a look!

A is for Apple and a delicious low carb Apple Crumble


Autumn is definitely the right season for delicious apple crumble, and many will use the more traditional recipe, but there is a lower carb alternative, as shown in this photograph, please read more details and see the recipe here

U is for Ugli Fruit


Ugli fruit is a unique citrus hybrid grown in the Caribbean. And unlike other citrus fruits, ugli has thick, bumpy, and wrinkly yellow-green skin. Once you peel into it, you’ll be greeted with juicy segments that’re bursting with flavour. It tastes sweet and tangy, like a cross between an orange, grapefruit, and tangerine. Not only is it delicious, but it boasts nutritional benefits as well – with plenty of Vitamin C, potassium, and fibre.

T is for Tomato Soup


Autumn is a wonderful season for soups and this recipe suggestion is for a fresh and simple tomato soup with the welcome addition of onions, carrot and celery. Please see more details/recipe here

U is for Upland Cress


Upland cress, also known as land cress or American cress, is a leafy green vegetable that is closely related to watercress. It has a tangy and slightly peppery flavour that is often described as more intense than that of watercress. Upland cress has small, oval-shaped leaves that grow in a rosette pattern, and its stems are thin and tender. It is a good source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as calcium, iron, and potassium. Above image from here

M is for Mushrooms


There are many different varieties of mushrooms, including those that can be picked in the wild, as well as cultivated mushrooms that are generally sold as buttons, cups or flats according to age. Large flat (Portobello) mushrooms have more flavour than young buttons, and chestnut mushrooms tend to have a slightly stronger taste and firmer, meatier texture than ordinary white ones. An easy mushroom sauce (pictured above) is a great recipe to have in your repertoire because it's so versatile, please see more details/recipe here

N is for Nutmeg


I wonder do you use nutmeg in your house? Many call it the forgotten spice (which is a shame) because as chef Nigel Slater says 'it works in the background doing magical things especially in savoury dishes.' Read more about nutmeg and see a Broccoli and Stilton soup recipe which incorporates a little of it here. There is also a recipe for Mini Spinach and Cottage Cheese Frittatas which uses a little nutmeg.


well I started the post with words from Emily Bronte
finishing with a snoopy gif, which always makes me smile 😊



Have you thoughts on Autumn? 
Please share in the comments.

This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

18 comments:

Christine said...

Let's Celebrate autumn!

J.P. Alexander said...

Siempre me ha gustado el otoño. Te mando un beso.

Margaret D said...

Interesting and autumn is rather a picturesque in most countries Jan.

Elephant's Child said...

Autumn is one of my favourite seasons.

roentare said...

I love autumn pics. The leaves are just wonderful to see. Thanks for the recipes that might come handy when I stop eating take aways

eileeninmd said...

Happy Fall, beautiful Autumn scene!
The Apple crisp sounds yummy.
Have a happy weekend.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Gosto desta estação do ano.
Um abraço e bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Valerie-Jael said...

Autumn is always my fave season, and I love to eat the autumn specialities with pumpkins etc! Hugs, Valerie

Tom said...

...yum, it's apple time.

Jules said...

It is a beautiful season, but I'm already realising I'll probably be feeling cold until spring. I'm looking forward to some comfort food and using some of your delicious recipe suggestions. Xx

Bill said...

Autumn is a beautiful and colourful season.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Emily Bronte and Snoopy made me smile. Thank you! I love nutmeg and use it whenever I can. I have that old fashioned metal grater that I store the nut inside. Lovely post about my favorite season! Have a wonderful weekend.

happyone said...

Apple Crumble, yummy!!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Beautiful post on Autumn! I’m still waiting for cooler temperatures here in Texas so that I can enjoy fall.

Hena Tayeb said...

Happy Autumn. I love a good tomato soup.

Granny Marigold said...

Our sunny weather changed overnight and we have wind and rain. Great post. I think I'll make the Tomato Soup and the Apple Crumble too. Yum. Thanks for posting.

Conniecrafter said...

I had not heard of upland cress, Yes I just used nutmeg a couple days ago.
Love snoopy playing with the leaves :)
Happy Autumn!

William Kendall said...

My mother used to use nutmeg to garnish sprouts.