Total Pageviews

Monday 4 January 2016

Brussels Sprouts and cheddar cheese soup


Well you don't need to be a Sherlock Holmes, or Agatha Christie to see where this rather lovely recipe idea for soup came from ... yes ... Sainsbury's magazine! It really is the perfect way to use up leftover sprouts, but don't worry if you have none leftover - see the kitchen secret tip below!

Ingredients:
Serves Four
Ready in approx 35 minutes
7.9g carbohydrate per serving

a splash of olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 medium onions, chopped
300 g cooked Brussels sprouts
2 garlic cloves, crushed
650 ml vegetable stock
4 tbsp single cream
100 g mature cheddar, grated, plus extra to serve

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a medium pan and fry the onions over a medium heat until soft, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, roughly chop half the sprouts and cut the rest into halves or quarters, depending on size.
2. Add the garlic to the pan and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the chopped sprouts and stock, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
3. Purée the soup. Stir the cream, remaining sprouts, cheese and some seasoning into the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a scattering of extra cheese.

Kitchen secret: if you love sprouts so much you don't have any leftovers, simply cook raw sprouts in boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes, or until tender.

... Brussels sprouts are thought to have been cultivated in Belgium in the 16th century - hence the name. They are rich in many valuable nutrients, find out more here

All the best Jan

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a different idea and looks delicious.

Annie

Jo said...

I'd have never thought to use sprouts in a soup. I love sprouts but don't have them very often as the rest of the family won't eat them, but I do insist we have them on our Christmas dinner and I also add just one to each of their dinners too, though it's always left on the side of the plate.

Connie said...

Hi Jan, wow! This looks amazing . . . it is making my mouth water :)
The perfect treat for a cold winter day.
Happy New Year!
Connie :)

Lisa said...

I never buy sprouts, but Savanna found them on her school dinner lunch and told me she liked them. So I made sure I had them for our Christmas dinner too. I wonder if she'll like this?
Lisa x

DeniseinVA said...

Oh now, being a big fan of the Brussels Sprout, that indeed looks a delicious soup. Thanks for the recipe Jan and I would like to wish you all a Very Happy New Year!

Down by the sea said...

I wish I had seen that last week when we still had some brussel sprouts left! Sarah x

Debbie said...

Another great looking dish, I love soup during the winter!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Annie - "That is a different idea" ... yes, that's what I thought to! Hope you may enjoy this soup soon.

Jo - growing up I can remember not being too keen on Brussels Sprouts, but now I really enjoy them, and I thought this soup recipe one to share.

Connie - yes I agree with you, "perfect treat for a cold winter day" Enjoy!

Lisa - sprouts with Christmas dinner ... delicious. Why not give this soup a try out?

Denise - now if you are a big fan of Brussels sprouts, I'm sure you will enjoy this recipe. Happy New Year to you and your too, thank you.

Sarah - if you love sprouts so much you don't have any leftovers! You can simply cook raw sprouts in boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes, or until tender and use. Hope you try this recipe idea out, I'm sure you will enjoy it ...

Debbie - this dish looks very inviting, and just right for cooler weather too!

Many thanks to you all for your comments.

All the best Jan