Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Celeriac & Blue Cheese Soufflés


Looking back at my school days I have many good memories of both friends made and teachers met ... in fact I am fortunate to still be in contact with some of my school friends from 'back then'.

Teachers can play such an important and informative role can't they, and although some perhaps you'd rather forget, memories of many tend to stay with you through various stages of your life - well that has been my experience.

One such teacher was my 'Domestic Science' teacher, I always enjoyed her classes, and it was a combination of her, my dear mum and my wonderful Gran that made me aware of good home-cooked food.

One dish I always loved to cook was souffles ... and as many may know there is a knack with souffles ... they rise wonderfully well when cooking and can taste so light and fluffy, but just a moment later they can collapse! Have you ever experienced that? My favourite souffle was always a cheese one, but times have moved on since then and now we have such recipes as this one I share today...

It's celeriac and blue cheese souffle, which is a winning combination, because we just love celeriac (it's a low carbers favourite) and we love blue cheese (Roquefort). Read on and see what you think ... perhaps you may make it soon, it makes a lovely lunch or supper dish ... but then you may prefer to eat it at a time to suit you!
Here is what you will need ...

Preparation time:15 minutes
Cooking time:30 minutes
Ingredients:Serves: 4
5.9g carbs per serving

Small knob of butter, for greasing
500g celeriac, peeled and cubed
3 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
150g blue cheese such as Stilton, Roquefort or Gorgonzola
4 large (Free Range) Eggs, separated
Green salad, to serve


Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Lightly grease 4 x 250ml individual ramekin dishes.

2. Place the celeriac in a steamer set over a pan of gently simmering water. Cover and steam for about 8 minutes until very tender when pierced with a knife.

3. Place the cooked celeriac in a food processor with the crème fraîche and blue cheese and blitz until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.

4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites using an electric hand whisk until soft peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, lightly fold the egg whites into the celeriac mixture until well combined.

5. Spoon into the prepared dishes and cook for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Serve swiftly with salad on the side.

FREEZING TIP
These freeze well once cooked. Leave to cool completely, turn out of the ramekins, pack into bags then label and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw completely and bake for 10–12 minutes at 180°C, gas mark 4 until piping hot.

Recipe idea from here

All the best Jan

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great:)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I never tried making a souffle. This does look delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Jan, I've never tried a souffle. For all the years I've been cooking, I'm not very skilled. We have a restaurant here that makes "what they call a souffle". I'm going to try to copy there's because I love them. If I succeed maybe I will try the real thing.

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds a wonderful recipe but souffles are tricky and can sink but I may give this a try.

Jenny S

TexWisGirl said...

i've never eaten souffle but i bet a blue cheese one would be delicious!

Lowcarb team member said...

Anon at 12.35 ... glad you liked the look of this recipe idea

Eileen ... souffles are very tasty - perhaps give them a try one day

'R&L' ... a souffle with salad is such a lovely dish - whichever recipe you try, enjoy it

Jenny ... the secret of souffles is, never open the oven door until they are cooked, and serve them immediately

Tex ... yes, the blue cheese is so yummy and delicious

Many thanks to you all for your comments, always pleased to receive, read and share them.

All the best Jan

DeniseinVA said...

I used to love making cheese soufflés. This has given me an idea. Thanks Jan!

Lowcarb team member said...

Denise ... I love it when I see someone say "this has given me an idea". Enjoy a souffle!
Many thanks for your comment,

All the best Jan

handmade by amalia said...

I've never made a souffle in my live. Yours looks so elegant and delicious, Jan, I should give it a try.
Amalia
xo

Lowcarb team member said...

Amalia ...yes, souffles can be so delicious. If you have the ingredients, and some ramekin dishes, why not give it a try!
Many thanks for your comment

All the best Jan

Sami said...

Blue is my favourite colour and Blue cheese my favourite cheese too :)
Great recipes Jan.