Well the weather of late has certainly been varied, and of course for many ... disastrous, with very bad flooding hitting parts of the UK. Further afield, there has been flooding - and tornadoes in parts of the US. Wherever you are, as you read this, I hope you stay safe.
If you may have been fortunate to enjoy some good weather, I hope you had the chance to get out and about. The above picture shows two of the grand-children enjoying a walk along the beach, although the wind was certainly whipping up the sea!
... and when you get in from a bracing walk, what better than a nice bowl of red pepper and tomato soup ... sure tastes great, and boosts the energy levels for more fun ... or perhaps a quiet read of a good book!
1. Pre heat oven to 190/gas mark 4. Place the pepper & onion halves (cut side down) along with the plum tomatoes & garlic cloves into a baking tray & drizzle with the olive oil. Bake at the top of your oven for 30 mins or until the vegetables are roasted & tender.
2. Meanwhile melt down the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and saute the chopped celery for 4-5 mins. Not too hot, don't burn the butter.
3. Make up the vegetable stock adding the tomato puree, sun-dried tomato paste & the chilli flakes. Mix well and then add to the sauteed celery. Remove from the heat.
4. When the baked vegetables are ready remove the peel from the onion & garlic cloves roughly chop them & add them to the pan along with the plum tomatoes. Place back on to a low to medium heat & using a hand blender blend until the soup is smooth.
5. Season to taste & gently simmer until the soup is at a comfortable edible temperature. Do not allow the soup to boil.
Certainly hope you may enjoy this recipe idea. We try and bring a wide variety, but not all recipes will suit all. Any food allergies, or underlying health issues must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.
The above recipe idea from here