Total Pageviews

Monday 14 August 2017

The baby boomers.

I suspect a fair few of the readers and commenters on this blog, are so called 'Baby Boomers' Jan, Graham and I certainly are. It's my opinion we have been the luckiest generation in the history of the world. We have never lived through a world war, I doubt any of us have ever been truly hungry, and all have spent all or most of our lives living in a comfortable home. Never rich or particularly well off, but never really poor. The only downside of being a baby boomer I can see is we are on the last lap of our lives. Some of us are already on the grim reapers list, our exit visas are being rubber stamped, the end is nigh.

A question I have asked myself, if I had a chance of being a teenager again in the present time, would I go for it? not in a million years. Please bear in mind, I have considered myself to be an optimist all my life, am I looking back with rose tinted glasses? or is the world that I have lived in going to the dogs? What say you my friends and fellow bloggers.

Eddie


"The phrase baby boom refers to a noticeable increase in the birth rate. The post-war population increase was first described as a "boom" by Sylvia F. Porter in a column in the May 4, 1951, edition of the New York Post, based on the increase in the population of the U.S. of 2,357,000 in 1950. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first recorded use of "baby boomer" is from 1970 in an article in The Washington Post.Various authors have delimited the baby boom period differently. Landon Jones, in his book Great Expectations: America and the Baby Boom Generation (1980), defined the span of the baby-boom generation as extending from 1943 through 1960, when annual births increased over 4,000,000. Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe, well known for their generational theory, define the social generation of Boomers as that cohort born from 1943 to 1960, who were too young to have any personal memory of World War II, but old enough to remember the postwar American High" From here.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am a baby boomer too. I agree with you, I would not want to be a teenager in this present time. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Catarina said...

If I had a chance to become a millennial would I go for it? I think I would. I would try to be a bit more adventurous, to get out of the box and experience life in a broader way within the parameters of common sense, of course!!

Mac n' Janet said...

I'm a baby boomer and you couldn't pay me to go back to being a teenager. We grew up in a golden age and it's sad that it's gone.

Tom said...

...count me in!

only slightly confused said...

Yep...baby boomer here as well. What a wonderful time we lived through.

Valerie-Jael said...

That's my generation, and even if I'm getting old and grey now, I would never want to be a teenie today. Good article! Hugs, Valerie

Adam said...

I'm much younger, part of Generation Y/Millennials. Funny thing Gen Z is still kind of clumped against my generation as Millennials too. I certainly don't think anyone born after 2000 is part of the Y generation

Debby Ray said...

I totally agree, Eddie. The world is a scary place and I just pray that my grandchildren are able to get through their lives OK...trusting in the Lord's protection!

happyone said...

No, I'd not want to be a teen in this day and age.
I'm a boomer born in 1951.

Elephant's Child said...

I wouldn't willingly be a teenager in our time (another baby boomer) let alone this.

Sami said...

I was born in the last year of the "baby boomer generation". I agree, I wouldn't want to be a teenager now, too much pressure on them to be thin, beautiful, knowledgeable of all technology....

No boom left said...

Sorry to be anon but I couldnt dissagree more. Are you guys forgetting the racism, Gay illegality and blatant sexism. As for wars how about Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Biafra, Bangldesh not forgetting the cold war with nuclear proliferation and half a million men stationed in Germany to dissuade the Reds. I could go on but I think you get the drift.

Good post though, got us thinking

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for the comments. I will start a new post on the topic addressing some of your comments in more detail.

Good health to all.

Eddie

Sue (this n that) said...

I really liked that back in the 60s we could pick and choose our own employment, there being so many jobs available. Today's young people have the pressure of having to gain all sorts of formal qualifications.
I would love to have had a more adventurous and independent spirit (as Catarina mentions above).
When raising our babies I would also have loved to enjoy the more loving and tactile way of communicating with them rather than allowing myself to feel that I had to adhere to the rigid "Rules" instilled by fearsome Health Centre Sisters.
On the other hand, we did have a freedom of being able to roam around the neighbourhood and to play in the local bushland as long as we were home before dark... something unheard of these days.
So, I guess I'm not answering your question directly Eddie, I am grateful that hubby and I still have each other and have been around long enough to see our dear family grow and explore life as it is today.

Magic Love Crow said...

I would not want to be a teenager these days!