Total Pageviews

Wednesday 5 June 2019

You Can Successfully Cut Down Sugar In Your Diet In Four Easy Steps




With all the talk, both in the press, and on our TV Screens .. in fact all over the place .. we are hearing more and more how sugar is having a detrimental affect on our health. The article I've linked to below talks about the average American adult, but I really think you could add the UK, Australia, France .. in fact almost any country plus include children too. We are eating too much sugar.

If you are trying to cut down on your sugar intake you may find the tips in the article helpful.

"The average American adult consumes the equivalent of about 32 teaspoons of sugar per day. Sugar is really the number one food additive: it is added to drinks, often in the form of high-fructose corn syrup, to bread, sauces, dressings, and to all kinds of processed foods including many low-fat products.

Cutting down sugar in your diet may be one of the best actions you can take to improve your health and your weight. And you don't need to have tremendous amounts of willpower or to go cold turkey (unless you want to do this, of course).

Here are four steps to help you cut down sugar in your diet. You'll want to follow the steps in order, except for step four which can be taken whenever you want.

1. Give yourself 30 days (or more) 
There is mounting evidence that sugar can be addictive. But if you have strong cravings and you feel you're addicted to sugar, don't get discouraged.

Many people will try to convince you that breaking an addiction is very hard because of hormones and neurotransmitters in your brain, but this attitude can actually be quite disempowering. In fact, breaking an addiction is perfectly doable with the right approach. I have personally helped quite a few women do it with great success.

Your best bet is to use a gentle, step-by-step process that gives your body and your taste buds time to adapt. The mistake many people make when they decide to get off sugar is they want to be perfect from day one, so they go cold turkey and cut out sugar completely from the beginning.

While this may work for people with a very strong addiction, in my real-world practice with women who have a rather mild sugar addiction, I've seen that a compassionate, gentle approach works far better.

Start by believing that you can do it and make a commitment to give it all you've got over a period of time that feels realistic to you.

2. Identify your #1 source of sugar and start there 
Think about everything you eat and drink and identify your main source of sugar. Usual suspects are sodas or other sweetened beverages, sugar you add yourself, and processed baked foods.

It may be you're drinking a lot of commercial fruit juices, carbonated sodas, or hot sweetened beverages. Or it may be you're adding four teaspoons of sugar to your tea or coffee and you eat sugary snacks, sweetened yogurt or dessert at every meal. Or it may be you're eating processed bread, cakes and cookies several times a day.

Once you know what to cut down, make a plan. If you've been adding three teaspoons of sugar to your tea or coffee, gradually reduce to two within a week, then one within the next two weeks.

If you are currently drinking at least two large bottles of soda a week, start by cutting down to one and a half bottle, then one bottle the next week, then half a bottle, and see if you are comfortable with cutting out soda entirely.

The key is to be excited about cutting down your consumption and not experiencing it as frustration and deprivation or making a point of reaching an imaginary level of perfection.

Once you've cut down your main source of sugar, you may already enjoy some improvement in your weight and your energy levels.

3. Eat more real food 
Sure, the list of processed foods is a never-ending one. And sugar often hides in cakes, cookies, candy bars, ice cream, popcorn, pretzels, granola or fruit bars, energy bars, dressings, sauces, and condiments.

"Low-fat" or "no-fat" foods are often marketed as healthy but most of the time they have also been processed and fat has been replaced by hidden sugars or artificial sweeteners.

If you eat a lot of junk food and processed foods, start by replacing them with real food, one step at a time. If you cook and prepare your food yourself, you'll dramatically cut your sugar intake over time. Do this over thirty days or more, following the same gentle approach as mentioned earlier.

Once you've cut down processed foods, you may realize that your sugar cravings are gone and that you've even managed to kiss your sugar addiction goodbye.

4. Sleep your cravings away 
Whenever someone tells me she needs to eat six times a day and she has strong sugar cravings, the first question I ask her is how many hours she sleeps at night. Many times, the answer is less than five or six hours.

So what would sleep have to do with cutting down sugar? Well, it will help by reducing your cravings for sugar as well as processed foods that contain sugar.

Different studies have found that sleep deprivation of two hours or more of the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep leads to overeating and junk food cravings.

Sleep deprivation also leads to sweet foods being more appealing to adolescents, with a consumption of sweet/dessert servings up to 52% higher, and to an increased intake of food in men as well as cravings for calorie-dense foods in adults.

This is why a proper amount of sleep can be a great way to curb cravings, which will also help you cut down sugar in your diet over time."

Article taken from here. For me the key point is number three 'eat more real food' what do you think?

All the best Jan

32 comments:

Catarina said...

I don't have a single package of sugar at home... but I do eat some cookies/pastries from time to time.

Sugar and white flour... the modern evils.

Valerie-Jael said...

Good, sound advice. Valerie

Miss Val's Creations said...

The less sugar I eat, the less I crave it. It is funny when I eat decadent things I crave more of the sugar. Definitely addictive! These are great tips for cutting back. I stopped drinking sugary beverages in my 20s and cut it out of my coffee and tea too. That does make a huge difference. Now soda tastes disgusting to me as well as sweetened coffee/tea.

DUTA said...

The importance of sleep cannot be emphasized enough. The 7-8 hours sleep are a great metabolic booster. And don't forget that while we sleep we don't eat....and that helps with weightloss.

I don't like the use of the word 'junk' in connection with food. I use fast food or street food instead; never junk food.

Tom said...

...makes sense.

Sandi said...

"Eat more real food."

This is it in a nutshell!

Jenn Jilks said...

These are excellent suggestions! I don't tend to eat desserts, except on birthdays, etc. That said, it is spring, and I made a rhubarb crisp for fun!

happyone said...

Good advice!!

William Kendall said...

Good suggestions.

Trini Altea said...

Gracias por tu recomendación.

aussie aNNie said...

Don't have sugar apart from what may be in the fruit great post.xx

Mary Kirkland said...

Those are really good tips.

Chatty Crone said...

I have to work on this myself.

Christine said...

great advice, thanks.

Sandra said...

Cutting back on sugar is a challenge for most of us isn't it?
I'm a big believer in gentle/gradual. Back in the day I was a smoker and that's how I quit.
Good article, Jan.

Margaret D said...

Not into sugar in my tea and don't add it to anything.
Good article to read which I did.

Iris Flavia said...

I´m not on the sweet side but you are right, you get hidden sugar everywhere!
I always think more than twice now before I buy convenience food...

Elephant's Child said...

Eating more real food never goes astray.
And how I would love more sleep. Insomnia is a beast.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Several years ago, I gave up sugar in my coffee. I did it cold turkey, mostly to lose a few pounds. HOWEVER, no amount of slow phasing out the caffeine/coffee will ever work for me. I get severe headaches that only stop once I have sufficient caffeine. Even aspirin doesn't help the headaches. My addiction is definitely caffeine and it's my true drug of choice! Enjoyed this article, though.

linda said...

I never drink soda or sweet drinks but I can't resist the cakes and biscuits, if I have a tea or coffee a biscuit is a must so now I eat a few nuts and raisins instead, being addicted to sugar is a daily struggle it really is. xx

George Pereira said...

i don't use sugar in my tea/coffee. when i stopped it tasted different but after a few days i began to like it without sugar. i do like to have a small piece of something sweet after lunch. i don't know if it is an addiction or a habit or maybe they are the same.

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting facts.

roughterrain crane said...

The sweetness of sugar sometimes has a strong power to make me feel relaxed. I will try to take less.

Chris Lally said...

The best advice. Thanks, Jan!

Sue said...

What an interesting article, thank you. I don't take sugar in drinks, but it's everywhere isn't it x

angryparsnip said...

Thank You as usual a great post.
Even if we do not add sugar ourself it is in so much !
parsnip

My name is Erika. said...

The sleep deprivation and sweet cravings is a really interesting concept. I haven't heard of that but it really makes sense. Your body is tired and needs more sugar to fuel itself, but of course the source of the sugar isn't good carbohydrates. Huh. I'm glad you passed that on.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sugars and artificial sweeteners can hide in the most unexpected places, the stinkers. We've got to learn to read the labels on the products we buy, and yes, you can't beat preparing fresh foods yourself.

Angie said...

Jan - I am fortunate that I never developed a need for carbonated beverages, and my husband makes a lot of our bread. We don't keep cake or cookies around … my worst habit is the sugar in my coffee, but I think it's OK overall. I agree with you that learning to snack on carrots or apples when the craving starts - that's the most helpful thing of all!

handmade by amalia said...

This was helpful, Jan, thanks for sharing. I've cut back on sugar drastically in recent months but you can't go without completely, especially when flavoring food, and there is so much conflicting information out there :-(
Amalia
xo

Snowbird said...

As you say, sugar is hidden in so many foods. Fascinating post Jan.xxx

carol l mckenna said...

wonderful post ~ try to eat in moderation and not over do anything ~

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)