Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 January 2022

Answers to January Quiz Plus ... A Recipe For Caponata Stew

Hello there, I hope you enjoyed yesterdays quiz. Many thanks to all those who read the post and special thanks to those who took time to comment.

Did you know the answers? Well, as promised here are the answers to the seven questions. For ease I have repeated the questions ...

Q. If you are born in the first 19 days of January, what star sign are you?
A. Capricorn

Q. January always starts on the same day of the week as which other month? (This question was based on common years and not leap years)
A. October (January begins on the same day of the week as October in common years, and April and July in leap years)

Q. How many days does January have in total?
A. 31

Q. Which Roman God was January named after?
A. Janus


Q. What flower is closely associated with January?
A. Snowdrop

Q. Before January was added to the calendar, how many months were there?
A. 10

Q. Which city’s name translates to ‘River of January’?
A. Rio de Janeiro

How did you do? Before I researched the answers I knew six 😊

... and now on to a tasty recipe suggestion, which you may wish to try.
Caponata - Sicilian Aubergine (Eggplant) Stew


A tasty dish, "hailing from Sicily, this vegetarian and vegan-friendly aubergine (eggplant) stew is packed with tomatoes, olives, capers and sultanas. A blend of sugar, garlic and white wine vinegar gives it a unique sweet-sour flavour that coats the vegetables like a salad dressing, bringing out the natural sweetness of the dish. This caponata recipe is delicious warm or served at room temperature slathered onto crunchy crostini".

Ingredients
Serves Six
2 aubergines (eggplants), cut into chunks
2 tbsp. light olive oil
5 celery sticks, cut into chunks
5 tbsp. olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
227g tin chopped tomatoes
250g cherry tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. white wine vinegar
4 tbsp. capers
100g green olives
2 tbsp. sultanas
2 tbsp. pine nuts
handful fresh basil leaves
crostini, to serve

Method
1. Preheat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the aubergine in batches and fry until golden.
3. Tip into a roasting tin with the remaining ingredients (except for the pine nuts and basil) and toss to combine. Roast for 1 hr, until softened and golden.
4. Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan. Remove from the heat and set aside, until needed.5. Scatter the pine nuts and basil over the veg and serve with crostini.

Each serving
Carbohydrate 13.9g Protein 3.6g Fibre 2.1g Fat 19g
From an original idea here

Please see these recipe suggestions for low carb bread choices here and here


A variety of articles and recipe ideas are within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues please take these into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

30 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The only one I didn't know was the snowdrop, which makes sense, though. Thanks for keeping me on my toes and sharing this quiz with us, Jan. Happy New Year to you and Eddie.

Tom said...

...something new for me.

Sandi said...

Yum...that salad!

DeniseinVA said...

A fun quiz, enjoyed reading the answers and another great recipe! Thanks Jan and Happy New Year!

Conniecrafter said...

Very interesting, I did not know that there wasn't always 12 months in the calendar.
We just had stew today, I will have to say I do enjoy my meat in a stew.

Lee said...

I'm flat-out knowing what day it is, without having to work out the answers! ;)

All the very best to you both for the coming year...take good care. :)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Missed 2, same day and Janus

The eggplant stew looks good!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracia spor a receta, la hare pronto. Te mando un beso

Iris Flavia said...

I haven´t seen a snowdrop for too long. My family´s garden always was full of them!
I got most of the answers right :-)

aussie aNNie said...

wow,looks good
Happy New 2022.

Elephant's Child said...

I didn't know snowdrop - which doesn't appear in January here. That dish looks GREAT. Thank you.

Jo said...

6 out of 7 for me.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your stew looks good! Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

I knew 4 but thanks to you know more

Jenn Jilks said...

That looks yummy!
I was born Dec. 26th, and I'm Capricorn, too!

Anne C said...

We ate caponatina as a relish when I was growing up. We would often munch on it with crackers while we waited for big family meals. My great-grandmother came to the US from Sicily in about 1912. Her recipe is a bit different from this one.

NanaDiana said...

Fun to read all the January answers. Happy, Healthy-eating 2022!

Christine said...

The eggplant stew looks delicious. I knew January had 31 days thanks for the answers.

happyone said...

The only one I got wrong was the first one.
Thought it was Aquarius!

Sue said...

I knew a few, and I worked out Rio de Janeiro so I was quite pleased with that lol. Take care and have a very happy 2022, Sue xx

William Kendall said...

Five for me.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love all the ingredients in this delicious looking dish. The quiz was fun -thanks. Happy 2022

Teresa said...

Acerté algunas y otras no. El guiso se ve bueno. Besos.

My name is Erika. said...

Fun quiz. I love how you start each month with all this fun info.

Rose said...

I am not saying how many I got right...LOL The ones I did, I was mainly guessing.

Wanted to wish you and your family a Happy and Healthy New Year.

italiafinlandia said...

Love Caponata. Very tasty!
Have a nice day!

Jeanie said...

I got all of them but I took a guess on a couple and was right!

carol l mckenna said...

Perfect stew for January ~ Xo

Wishing you lots of happy moments,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...



I make caponata often as we really enjoy its combination of sweet and vinegary taste.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If you combine all those great ingredients, it's hard to believe it wouldn't be terrific.