Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 January 2022

Garlic : Five Health Benefits


Famed for its medicinal properties, garlic is also a culinary staple in most kitchens. Here, we discover why.

What is garlic?
Garlic is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world, and is a hardy perennial belonging to the Liliaceae family. Other members of this family include onions, leeks, chives and shallots. They are distinguished by their pungent aroma and distinctive flavour.

The bulb is the most commonly used part of the garlic plant and is typically composed of eight to 20 individual teardrop-shaped cloves enclosed in a white, parchment-like skin.

Nutritional Benefits
One clove (4g) of garlic provides
4Kcal / 16KJ
0.3g protein, 0.0g fat, 0.7g carbohydrates, 0.2g fibre, 25mg Potassium

Five health benefits of garlic
1. Contains compounds with medicinal properties
Much of garlic’s therapeutic acclaim is down to an active compound called allicin. This sulphur-containing compound gives garlic its pungent smell and distinctive taste. Luckily for us cooks, the action of chopping or crushing stimulates the production of allicin. But, it is thought that the application of heat may inhibit some of the perceived medicinal properties, making it best to add garlic late in the cooking process.

2. May reduce the risk of heart attacks
Much research has focused on garlic’s potential in reducing the risk of heart disease and helping to manage cholesterol levels. Several studies suggest that garlic makes platelets (the cells involved in blood clotting) less likely to clump together and accumulate on artery walls; this means garlic acts like an anticoagulant and by so doing reduces the risk of heart attacks.
Garlic may also lower blood pressure through its ability to widen blood vessels,
allowing blood to flow more freely.

3. May have anti-cancer properties
The sulphurous compounds in garlic have been studied for their ability to inhibit cancerous cells and block tumours. That said, much of the evidence for garlic in relation to colon, prostate, oesophageal and renal cancer is observational, with only small numbers of subjects included in the studies. As a result, the effect garlic has in relation to cancer remains uncertain and more studies are needed.

4. Has antimicrobial and antifungal properties
Garlic has a long history of use as an infection fighter against viruses, bacteria and fungi. It has been referred to as ‘Russian penicillin’ to denote its antibacterial properties, which is once again attributed to the compound allicin. Some skin conditions, such as warts and insect bites, may also respond to garlic oil or a crushed raw garlic clove.

5. May support bone health
Animal studies suggest garlic may minimise bone loss by increasing oestrogen levels in female rodents. A study in post-menopausal women found a similar effect when a daily dose of dry garlic extract (equivalent to 2g of raw garlic) was consumed.
Studies also suggest the consumption of garlic may give some relief from the inflammatory symptoms of osteoarthritis.

Is garlic safe for everyone?
Garlic poses few safety issues and allergies are rare. If you take garlic supplements for cholesterol management, have your cholesterol levels checked after three months. The recommended daily amount of garlic ranges from ½-1 whole clove per day (around 3000-6000mcg of allicin).

Please note that some people may experience indigestion, intestinal gas or diarrhoea when taking high doses of garlic.

Above words by Jo Lewin, registered nutritionist.
You can see her original article with full research links here
Do you like to use garlic? 

The above is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.

Related Post
Why You Should Rest Your Chopped Garlic for 5 Minutes Before Cooking, see here
Looking for recipe suggestions that use garlic
please see this post here


~ some pretty snowdrops ~
traditional January birth flower

Dear reader, this blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

38 comments:

Tom said...

...and does it keep vampires away?

Lowcarb team member said...

Ah ... the legend of the vampire.

Throughout time, superstition has credited garlic with the ability to avert disease and evil spirits. Stories, verse and folklore claim garlic has the ability to ward off vampires. If worn around the neck or placed at the window, the plant's pungent flowers are believed to provide protection and keep vampires from entering.

There are many stories and articles on the internet about it ...

For me, I will stick to enjoying garlic in my recipes :)

Many thanks for your comment Tom

All the best Jan

magiceye said...

I love garlic!

Best wishes to you and yours for a great year ahead!

diane b said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am not a diabetic but I had a blocked bowel due to scar tissue narrowing the small intestine and I think I have IBS too. So trying to manage what I can and can't eat is becoming a nightmare. Hope you have a Happy New Year.

J.P. Alexander said...

El ajo es genial, gracias por la recomendación. Te mando un beso

Christine said...

Thanks for this good information.

happyone said...

We eat a lot of garlic here at my house.

Elephant's Child said...

All this and it tastes good too. I also really like black garlic and add it to salads.

Jo said...

I enjoy garlic but it's something I rarely cook with. I think I need to use it more with all those health benefits.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Garlic is an essential ingredient for us, more of a staple than eggs and butter, I think!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

We use garlic often in cooking. Also, garlic tablets.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hubby and I eat a lot of garlic.
Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great week ahead!

linda said...

Interesting facts about garlic, I love snowdrops too.

Rain said...

I LOVE garlic!!! I still have about 30 heads in my shed from my outstanding harvest last August! We eat it every day!

CJ Kennedy said...

Sadly, garlic is a trigger for those of us with stomach issues like IBS

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Fine!!!Very usual and important the garlic in my country... we call Ajo in Spanish.
... Happy 2022...Be safe

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde. Obrigado pela matéria. Sou apaixonado por alho. Um excelente ano novo.

Sue said...

I'd never eaten garlic until I met my husband who adds it to just about everything. Luckily I'm now a fan too! Take care Jan & Eddie xx

Bill said...

We use garlic all the time in our meals.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We enjoy fresh garlic in cooking, Jan, and I appreciated this post with the recipe links. Also, I didn't know about letting the garlic "rest" after chopping or mincing, so thanks for the tip.

Kinga K. said...

Garlic is great❤

sandy said...

i love garlic. thanks for all the info.

Sandra Cox said...

I didn't realize they were possibly linking it to bone strength. Wonderful to know.
Wishing you all the best in 2022.

Jeanie said...

I love garlic! It's a wonderful ingredient. Thanks for so many fun facts!

Carola Bartz said...

I love garlic and I use it in a lot of cooking. It does gives such a great flavor. I wanted to grow my own garlic this year, but then I forgot to plant the bulbs...
Happy New Year to you!

DUTA said...

I once saw a line in a doctor's article and it stuck into my head: "Go heavy on garlic and onions". I do. Garlic in particular is full of health benefits, and adds taste and flavor to cooking.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Garlic is delicious! I wish I could eat it like normal people but this family of roots are a digestive problem for me. I keep hoping I will grow out of this, but no luck!

William Kendall said...

Very informative.

Conniecrafter said...

Even more reason to eat garlic :) Just don't need the garlic breath that comes along with it :)

Debbie said...

i LOVE garlic but my husband is not a big fan. i love spaghetti, garlic and oil, when garlic is the star of the dish!!

roughterrain crane said...

Thanks a lot. I am very happy to get the precious and useful information from you.

Teresa said...

Me encanta el ajo, es un ingrediente habitual en nuestra cocina. Besos.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We love garlic...it doesn't always love me back but we keep using it! So much flavor and so good for us. Stay warm this week!

carol l mckenna said...

Very informative post on garlic and love the snowdrop photo ~ Xo


Wishing you peace in your day,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Mary Kirkland said...

That sounds like a good soup.

Snowbird said...

What a handy little plant! That's a lovely snowflake picture.xxx

Lorrie said...

Garlic adds so much flavour to dishes. We love it here. I think I read that Queen Elizabeth II hates it so much she has banned it from her kitchens.

Hilly Nicolay said...

I will also be using it a little more.
At Christmas I did it in the Stroganoff.

Have a nice day and all the best,
Hilly