Total Pageviews

Monday 10 January 2022

Bizarre Diets


I know many people at this time of year start diets, resolve to change their lifestyle because they want to lose weight, feel healthier etc. Some readers may choose to eat vegetarian, or vegan, some choose a Mediterranean style diet, while others talk low carb or keto. What we eat is of course a personal choice, for Eddie and I it is LCHF, but one thing we must all take into account is the nutrients we get from the foods we eat.

Today, I am sharing an article by Lizzie Robinson "Bizarre Diets You Won’t Believe Exist" Once you've read it do please share your thoughts in the comments section ...

"Over the years, people have tried various methods to achieve their weight and fitness goals. Some of these diets are healthy and sensible, while others are harmful and outlandish. Let’s look at some of the most bizarre diets that you won’t believe even exist.

The Ice Diet
This diet advises people to consume four cups (one litre) of ice per day. There are no other diet or lifestyle changes required. Some dieticians think that people can sometimes lose weight following this diet since they are consuming more water.
The body’s efforts to bring everything from ice cold to body temperature can also contribute to calorie burning. However, chewing ice can be harmful to your teeth, and this diet is unlikely to help with sustainable fat loss.

The Cotton Ball Diet
An extreme diet that has been slammed as dangerous and harmful by many doctors, the cotton ball diet reportedly started in the modelling industry. People following this diet will dip cotton balls in juice, soup, and other liquids before eating them. It is thought to help them eat less food, thereby consuming fewer calories and staying slimmer. Doctors have repeatedly said that ingesting non-edible items such as cotton balls and paper tissues can cause severe and permanent intestinal issues.

The Air Diet
The Air Diet involves making food, imagining food, drawing food, painting food, or talking about food. But whatever you do, you’re not going to eat the food. The name of this diet is self-explanatory – you consume nothing except air. People trying this out are almost certain to see the number on the scale drop. But they are also likely to lose muscle rather than fat, damage their metabolism, and gain weight quickly when they resume regular eating habits.

The Baby Food Diet
Baby food is made for babies, but some people believe it has benefits for adults too. The most extreme versions of the Baby Food Diet call for people to eat one jar of baby food instead of each full meal. Other versions of this diet recommend fourteen jars of baby food per day, or ten jars of baby food alongside one full adult meal.

The Prayer Diet
The Prayer Diet is popular with those who follow a religion. Praying consistently every morning is the core part of this diet. People following this diet pray to their god for help with eating less food, losing fat, or building muscle. Results are normally only seen when prayers are included alongside healthy eating and lifestyle habits.

Ear Stapling
Some studies have suggested that stapling certain areas of the ear can help to promote weight loss. However, many medical professionals have questioned the difference between this and traditional acupuncture. Traditional acupuncture by a trained professional can help the body relax and direct positive energy to certain areas of the body. As part of a healthy and balanced lifestyle, it can promote sustainable fat loss and muscle building.

The Sleep Diet
Some people who advocate for extreme versions of this diet would suggest the most effective diet is to sleep almost 24 hours a day. The rationale for this is to prevent you from eating. Many medical professionals have denounced such extreme diets. But getting some extra sleep can go a long way in promoting good health. In fact, good sleep quality is associated with longer life, a healthier brain and heart, and better overall wellbeing.

The Dessert with Breakfast Diet
In a society where we’re often being told desserts are bad for us, this diet just sounds downright bizarre. As part of this diet, people are encouraged to eat a type of dessert with their breakfast. This is supposed to help curb sugar cravings for the day. It could be a cake, a cookie, or a tub of ice cream. However, eating high sugar foods in your first meal of the day can cause your blood sugar levels to rise. It can also exacerbate anxiety or low mood throughout the day and impact your energy levels.

The Vision Diet
The Vision Diet came about at the turn of the 21st Century. It’s based on the idea that foods seen through a blue lens are less appealing to the human eye. Wearing glasses with blue lenses is thought to help prevent food cravings and see food in a less attractive way. Several years later, another version of the Vision Diet was created. Virtual reality glasses caused the user to see food items as larger than they really were. This made them believe they had eaten more food.

The Cigarette Diet
In the 1920s, a cigarette company began promoting the potential weight loss effects of smoking. Nicotine in a cigarette can suppress the appetite, causing a person to eat fewer calories. It was suggested that people smoke a cigarette instead of eating a meal. But it’s difficult to imagine how this was ever promoted as an effective diet. Regularly smoking cigarettes brings a higher risk of lung cancer and other types of cancer and illness. Despite these risks, the Cigarette Diet is still a form of appetite suppression used by people in the modelling industry.

The extremes that some people will go to in achieving their body goals can be unbelievable. Over the decades, bizarre diets have been promoted by companies and individuals. Many doctors have strongly advised against following these diets, which have the potential to cause a significant amount of harm."
Words above from an article here


Dear reader, this blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

36 comments:

Tom said...

...everything becomes a fad today!

Martha said...

These are all just insane! I can't believe anyone would actually try any of this stuff. I'm so exhausted these days that the sleep diet sounds pretty darn good ;)

My name is Erika. said...

There are some interesting diets for sure. I will admit that if I have some sweet pastry with a big breakfast (like omelets and scrambled eggs) I don't crave dessert later in the day. But I never do that on a daily basis. Happy new week!

Kay said...

Wow! These are really crazy diets. I must admit that I went on some strange diet that was recommended to me by a friend after my 2nd child. I'd gained quite a bit of weight. I have to admit I did lose the weight gain remarkably, but I think it was because I was just eating less and chasing after two kids.

Lori Miller said...

On low-carb, you can have (low-carb) dessert for breakfast and dip for dinner!

peppylady (Dora) said...

No resolution for this gal. Just working on being a better person.
Coffee is on and stay safe

J.P. Alexander said...

Es mejor siempre tener cuidado en lo que uno come. Te mando un beso

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...


Oh my, some of these diets sound ridiculous, and some even dangerous.

Christine said...

Bizarre for sure

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Amazing how silly it is that anyone would try them.

Elephant's Child said...

Extreme diets are rarely a good (or sustainable) idea.

Lorrie said...

I find it hard to imagine that people would fall for some of these diets -they must be desperate! Real food is best, all things in moderation, in my opinion.

Jo said...

My goodness, it beggars belief that people actually believe that some of these diets work. Who'd want to staple their ears, or eat cotton balls?

Valerie-Jael said...

Interesting article wit some strange diets! Have a good week, Valerie

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Thank you, the truth is that after the holidays and the exceosos you have to lose a couple of kilos at least, but I am not very convinced by any of these diets Jan, I am a little more classic, eat less and healthy and take off some whims, of course walk and burn calories.
Happy week.
Best regards.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, there are so many weird diets.
I think any food in moderation and learning control works for me.
Have a great day and a happy new week!

linda said...

Oh dear I can't believe that anyone could actually think that any of those would actually work but I know that some people are so desperate to loose weight that they will try anything. Eat everything in moderation and I don't think that you can go far wrong.

Caty said...

I couldn't imagine how many diets people can do, Jan. I think that most of these diets are dangerous to health, but people are able to do anything to lose weight. I think that the best diet is to vary the meals, healthy of course, do some physical exercise if possible, and have a positive mind. I also recognize that many people need help and good advice to get it.
With my best wishes for this 2022 Jan, for you, your family, and the whole team.
Sending big hugs, Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

Sounds like fad diets have a long history.

Jeanie said...

I haven't heard of any of these -- and I have a feeling anyone who has done them has not had a good experience!

happyone said...

Wow those are some really crazy weight loss ideas.

DVArtist said...

OMGosh! That cotton ball diet is dangerous. People get desperate and instead of thinking clearly about it they go nuts.

CJ Kennedy said...

You forgot to mention the See Food diet. You see food and you eat it. 😉

DUTA said...

The only diet that works for me is the calorie count diet, helped by the sleep formula of at least 7-8 hours. I stick to this sort of diet when getting out of winter to get rid of the surplus accumulated during the cold weather and holidays eating.

Rose said...

Oh, my goodness...I suppose a lot of people try this. Can we say use common sense?

William Kendall said...

Quite informative.

Veronica Lee said...

These are really crazy diets!

It's hard to believe anyone would actually try any of this stuff!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never heard of any of these but I don't doubt that people will try anything. The air diet...I do better when I don't think about food all the time. Some people need to have balance as their word this year....or common sense! Thanks for the interesting post!

pam nash said...

Well, the Desert with Breakfast certainly sounds like the best of the lot. Tho, if I eat that much sugar first thing in the morning, I'd be climbing the walls with a sugar high. My mother subscribed to the Cigarette Diet. And, she kept slim, of course she had all sorts of tobacco related illnesses as she got older. Myself, I don't subscribe to any particular diet - just use common sense and keep on, keeping on.

Caroline said...

My weight is not too much so I have no diets.

Ananka said...

Haha there are some crazy diets out there for sure!

Creations By Cindy said...

My mercy! Well I am not too old too learn new things apparently! LOL! Here's my rule of thumb for what it's worth! Moderation! Portion Control. And.....be self conscious about your health and to remember that God gave us one body and it is short lived on this earth. NOW...I FAIL a lot but I am only human. I love reading your wealth of informative things. Girl, I always feel a tad smarter when I read a post from you. Happy New to you and Eddie. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Snowbird said...

Apart from smoking I've never heard of any of these diets. Wow...some strange fads for sure.xxx

Teresa said...

No me gusta estas dietas, son muy peligrosas. Besos.

NatureFootstep said...

wow, I get tired just reading the headlines of all diets. :)

Mostly it is not harder then, eat less and walk instead of taking the car. :) Take the steps instead of the elevator. (unless you live in a skyscrape)

Take care!

Conniecrafter said...

Wow there is some crazy diets out there, I think the cotton ball one is the craziest.
I will have to say when I was younger and smoked I would smoke instead of having a snack and it must have helped because when I quite over 20 years ago I gained over 60 pounds and have never been able to take it back off.