Total Pageviews

Sunday 30 January 2022

It's Draw A Dinosaur Day !

In the U.S. January 30th is National Draw a Dinosaur Day. A day to celebrate the mysticism and magic that surrounds these magnificent animals that once roamed the world eons ago. On this day, kids and adults paint and sketch all types of dinosaurs — cute, scary, jovial, wicked, etc., and have fun while doing so.

HISTORY OF NATIONAL DRAW A DINOSAUR DAY

On a seemingly unassuming day in 2007, a student named Todd Page was attending an anthropology class. To relieve the boredom, he put pen to paper and, out of nowhere, drew a dinosaur. He found it fun and stimulating. He motivated his classmates to sketch dinosaurs too, and they all found it to be fun. He decided to create a day when folks could just let their imaginations run riot by drawing the most mystical creatures that have inhabited our planet.

Todd Page registered the day — January 30 — as National Draw a Dinosaur Day and popularized it through social media. Since then, folks across the United States and Canada draw a dinosaur on the day and share their creations over social media.

It’s no secret that kids love dinosaurs. Ask any kid to do anything connected to dinosaurs, and they are over the moon! Drawing is a constructive way of engaging children. The celebrations on the day are simple — just draw a picture of a dinosaur and post it on various social media platforms. The picture is not essential, but having fun while doing it is! The idea is to motivate people, especially children, to let their imagination flow freely on paper or canvas.

Over the years, kids and adults have sketched their perceptions and visualizations of dinosaurs and shared them online.

So, on January 30, take out your pencils, wax crayons, colour pens, paintbrushes, or even your stylus to draw your very own version of the most mystical creature to have ever walked the Earth.
Above words and more can be seen here

I'm not too good at drawing so my contribution to Dinosaur Day
are these two photographs sharing happy memories from 2019


I didn't get a hole in one but it was a fun day
and I'm sure the dinosaur watching liked my pink trainers 😊


Have a great Sunday
Will you be drawing a dinosaur?

All the best Jan

35 comments:

Tom said...

..who thinks up all of these special days?

Christine said...

Happy Dinosaur Day!

J.P. Alexander said...

Uy no conocía ese día pero parece divertido. Te mando un beso

Elephant's Child said...

What fun. And no, my totally inartistic self will not be drawing a dinosaur.

DMS said...

Dinosaurs are definitely popular. I haven't drawn one in years. ;)
~Jess

Suzna said...

I love the story. One of my memories is taking a long drive with my son from Longreach to Winton and seeing the Dinosaur Hall of Fame. It was hot and not quite fitted in with my visions of the Australian Outback. I know Will has been back as he often secures contract work out west. Thank you for bringing back a memory.

Jo said...

There's a day for everything!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can't draw anything but flies in the summer, so I won't be drawing a dinosaur. However I enjoyed learning about the day.

eileeninmd said...

I did not know there was a Draw a Dinosaur Day.
Have a great day and a happy new week!!

CJ Kennedy said...

Makes me think when the girlies were little and went through a dinosaur phase

DVArtist said...

Happy D day.

Sami said...

I had never heard of this day, but there seem to be days for everything nowadays, lol.
Have a great Sunday Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

There's a day for everything :) I like seeing them and plugging in when I can. My kids loved dinosaurs when they were little.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The way I draw anything I produce could be taken for a dinosaur!

pam nash said...

I'm not very good at drawing either but we have a Dinosaur Park here with a big brachiosaurus out front. I'll go by and give him a pat on the knee.

Jeanie said...

this is a new holiday for me but a fun one!

Laura. M said...

Simpático el dinosaurio. Me gusta.
Buen domingo para Todos.
Un abrazo.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Interesting post- thanks for making me aware of this fun celebration for dinosaurs!

sandy said...

I learn a lot when I come here - i had no idea about draw a dinosaur day ..i think i'll do that. Did you enjoy your golf game - nice to see you about and having fun.

Sandra Cox said...

Huh. Had no idea. Love that dino and the pink sneakers;)
Cheers,

happyone said...

My goodness, there is a day for everything!! :) No drawing dinosaurs for me. :)

My name is Erika. said...

What a fun day. You look like you were having fun playing mini-golf too.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks everybody for your comments (so far).
There's just something about dinosaurs isn't there!

... and to those who asked!
Yes, I did enjoy playing this 'fun golf', hopefully when the weather warms up we may be able to enjoy another game :)

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend and my good wishes for the new week ahead.

All the best Jan

Stevenson Q said...

Oh Jan thank you so much for that Trivia! Never thought that a Draw your Dinosaur Day exists and I find it really cute! Not just for kids but also for adults like us to show some of the creativity we don't usually show out!

Have a great February coming!

William Kendall said...

I can't draw, but dinosaurs fascinate me.

Bill said...

What a fun day!

magiceye said...

Interesting!

peppylady (Dora) said...

The soup sound lovely.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Iris Flavia said...

Fun! If late I did join you here.

baili said...


i watched all Jurassic park movies with my kids and yes we all love dinosaurs as they remind us fascinating history of this planet :)

thank you for this post i was hardly going to know the origin of this day or it exits at first place
blessings!

Rose said...

This is a new day for me
..I wonder if my niece has heard of it. When she was little she loved dinosaurs.

Lowcarb team member said...

Iris Flavia said...
Fun! If late I did join you here.

Hello Iris
Thank you for the link, I did come across to your blog and have a look :)
I like the dinosaur you drew ... well done.

Enjoy this last day of January and my good wishes for the new month of February.

All the best Jan

Carla from The River said...

My boys loved dinosaurs when they were little. The mighty T-Rex!!

Teresa said...

Un día interesante, no lo sabía. Besos.

Conniecrafter said...

I haven't heard of this, I bet my great nephew who loves them has though, I will have to ask him :)