Total Pageviews

Friday 16 September 2022

Diabetes in the News : Are you sleepwalking into a diabetes diagnosis ?

"Most 30-somethings are sleepwalking into a diabetes diagnosis because they are eating 3 TIMES more potatoes and bread than needed, an expert says
  • Professor Joan Taylor, of De Montfort University, blamed current NHS guidance
  • It states that carbohydrates should make up just over a third of what we eat
  • Speaking at the British Science Festival, she called for it to be cut to just 10%
Most people in their 30s could unknowingly be on the way to developing diabetes because of society's carb-heavy diets, a top expert warned today.

Professor Joan Taylor, a diabetes expert at Leicester's De Montfort University, blamed current NHS nutrition guidance.

It states that carbohydrates — such as potatoes, bread and rice — should make up just over a third of what we eat.

But speaking at the British Science Festival, Professor Taylor called for this to be cut to just 10 per cent.

Eating less starchy foods could result in people losing weight – drastically slashing the risk of getting type 2 diabetes.

It will also help blood sugar levels come 'down to normal'.

Starchy carbs tend to be calorie-dense, which is why they have been vilified over the past few decades.

Professor Taylor said: 'If you can cut it down to 10 per cent, bearing in mind that the NHS recommendation is about 35 per cent, then not only will you lose weight, which is a good thing for metabolic syndrome and type 2, but your blood glucose comes down to normal.'

Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body does not make enough insulin, or if the insulin it makes doesn't work properly — leading to high blood sugar levels.

Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to blindness and leave patients needing their limbs amputated or in a coma.

The condition affects roughly 4.5million Britons and more than 30m Americans.

But hundreds of thousands are feared to be unknowingly walking around with the condition.

Unlike type 1 diabetes, which is genetic, type 2 diabetes is mainly (but not always) driven by obesity. 

Professor Taylor said: 'If you talk to diabetologists, they will tell you that most people from their 30s onwards... are beginning to put on the kind of weight these days that means then moving into the metabolic syndrome, that then is a route to diabetes."
Words above and more to read at article here

Related Post
Introduction to low-carb for beginners is here

~ Do please share your thoughts about this article in the comments section ~

Please note that articles within this blog are provided for general information only and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider.


All the best Jan

27 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh. A terrible disease with a relatively simple fix.

DUTA said...

I'm not diabetic, but in order to avoid weight gain I try to eat low-calorie food which includes low carb+ low fat items.

happyone said...

I always say all foods in moderation. It's worked for me and I'm 71 and healthy.

carol l mckenna said...

Very informative post ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~ Xo

A ShutterBug Explores ~
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...the food triangle is upside down.

Teresa said...

Me encantan tus reportajes, siempre son interesantes. Besos.

J.P. Alexander said...

Siempre es bueno cuidarse yo me entere que tenía diabetes cuando casi caigo en coma. Te mando un beso.

Conniecrafter said...

I can believe that it is our diets these days because many people eat their meals out and all that stuff has many carbs in them. I don't have diabetes, my hubby is pre diabetic, my weight is mainly from not getting enough exercise daily.

Kay said...

I wish I knew this 40 years ago. But then... would I have been better then?

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing

Margaret D said...

Good read. All things in moderation.

OLga said...

Io sono 30 anni che sono a rischio diabete.Ciao.

Valerie-Jael said...

I have a lot of illnesses, but not diabetes! Valerie

Jo said...

It's all about education and eating in moderation.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Um artigo muito interessante.
Um abraço e tenha um bom fim-de-semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
Livros-Autografados

Sondra said...

Good post with good info...I have never had trouble with Blood Sugar but My Older sis has type 2..Since I had to go on a High dose of Decadron which is an Anabolic Steroid to prevent Brain swelling I have to check my BS twice per day and eat accordingly...its no fun...I am tapering down off the higher doses now and hope this side effect will now go away..
I plan to watch the Queens' Funeral...it will be played without interruption on TV..I saw the Flag at our local Walmart was Half Staff in her Honor. Have an excellent weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I have been trying to eat more fruits and veggies.
Great information, thanks for sharing.
Take care, have a great weekend.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A carb protein balance is a struggle every day. It broke my heart to learn sweet potato is a carb. It was not until I switched from a cut down on carbs to a focus of increase protein, did I starts losing weight again.

Stefania said...

Grazie mille per le importanti informazioni del post

Mary Kirkland said...

I have diabetes but I'm trying to get my blood sugar under control.

William Kendall said...

All things indeed in moderation.

DMS said...

Great information. Thanks for sharing! :) ~Jess

Divers and Sundry said...

Made even harder by the state of health insurance and prescription costs in this country :( Scary!

kathyinozarks said...

Yum looks delicious
enjoy your new week
Hugs Kathy

Lowcarb team member said...

kathyinozarks said...
Yum looks delicious
enjoy your new week
Hugs Kath

Hello, and many thanks for your comment, on the post '"Diabetes in the News : Are you sleepwalking into a diabetes diagnosis ?"

I believe you may have intended it for the newer post "Creamy mushrooms, braised leeks and crispy chicken : So tasty"

I have therefore copied and pasted it there.

All the best Jan

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thank you for the excellent information, Jan.
I also appreciate your visits to my blog and your comments. Thank you!

Ananka said...

Because I had the cataract in my left eye, I got checked for Diabetes and other things. All tests came back clear and negative. They still cannot understand why at 42 I got both a cataract and uterine prolapse? I don't smoke, drink and do all that walking! I guess the latter could be childbirth and my heavy lifting job. I had to laugh, one of the doctors said I was "just unlucky".