Total Pageviews

Tuesday 31 October 2023

About Halloween, A Bit About Britain, Low Carb Pumpkin Spice Muffins


Did you know that "Halloween is a mish-mash of myths and legends from all over, a cocktail of beliefs and rituals which have been exported to other lands, particularly the USA, and re-imported. US servicemen stationed in Europe during World War II brought their hybrid traditions with them, ideas spread further, and gradually evolved, via films and TV. Growing up in England – oh, a very long time ago – Halloween was a night for staying under the blankets; bonfires and masks were reserved for 5th November, Guy Fawkes’ Night. Nobody went trick or treating in any big way until the 1980s (but they did in Scotland, where it is still often called guising) and, for many, the more recent celebration of the failure to blow up Parliament in 1605 is still more popular than its creepier calendar competitor – though you wouldn’t think so judging by the amount of Halloween-related material on sale.

Anyway, when the kids come knocking on the door yelling, “Trick or treat?”, you could remind them that they are taking part in the latest manifestation of rituals that go back to a time out of mind. Or you could say that they are the victims of someone’s marketing plan and greet them, wearing a ghoulish mask. Of course, it’s just a bit of harmless fun…isn’t it?"

The above words are from Mike - who some readers may know! He has a blog/site called 'A Bit About Britain'. It is a personal, independent, project of his that seeks to inspire, inform and entertain. He has many and varied articles on the site and because of the time of year this one about Halloween is a good read, just a snippet of which I copied above ... but Mike gives you much more information to read, just click on the link here


and at Halloween these are always popular
Pumpkin Spice Muffins... made the low carb way
see more details here

All the best Jan

25 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

These wishes were not in my post so ...
Happy Halloween and Happy Tuesday to all readers.

All the best Jan

PS to Mike, Wasn't sure if my comment on your site came through - hence you have two! LOL! Have a good day.

Tom said...

...Pumpkin Spice Muffins, yum.

eileeninmd said...

Happy Halloween! The muffin sound yummy!
Take care, have a great day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Thos muffins look great! Valerie

Christine said...

Yummy muffins, Happy Halloween!

Sandra Cox said...

A fun post. Thanks to you and Mike for the info.
Cheers,

Fun60 said...

I must confess I've never liked the idea of trick or treat but the grandkids love dressing up and playing Halloween games.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'd gladly take one of those muffins. I have also read various histories of Halloween.

Always CraveCute said...

We love pumpkin anything here, so can't wait to try this low carb muffin! Happy Halloween!
~ Diane

Elephant's Child said...

Mike's blog is often interesting and informative. Halloween has been and gone here. No trick or treaters. Again.

Bill said...

Happy Halloween!

Lisabella Russo said...

Interesting, thank you. The pumpkin spice muffins look delish!

Mary Kirkland said...

Happy Halloween.

roentare said...

I love the information your blog provides.

happyone said...

I usually just bake pumpkin things at this time of year and every year say I should bake them more often.
The muffins sure look good.

Authors with Advice said...

Happy Halloween! And awesome post with information.

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for the very interesting info. I don't ever remember it being a thing when I was young over there.

Carla from The River said...

I enjoy learning new tid bits. .. thank you for this.
Happy Halloween!
Carla

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Tomó nota. Te mando un beso.

My name is Erika. said...

This was interesting. I see Guy Fawkes nights hasn't made it to the US, but since Halloween is so big, I guess that's OK. And those muffins look delicious. Happy November.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I will pass by Mike's site, and since we made pumpkin spice muffins I may take one of those with me!

Jeanie said...

Thanks for sharing this -- and also for the shoutout to Mike, who is another of my favorite bloggers. I'm behind on reading so I haven't hit this post yet but will today. (I love the thought of actually engaging the kids in a little history lesson when they come by. I might have to try that next year!)

Conniecrafter said...

Since the pandemic we don't get many trick or treators, this year we didn't even bother with getting candy, plus it was sooo cold this year, our heat would have been constantly running every time we opened the door.
A girl at my hubby's work made pumpkin spice muffins and hubby brought his home to share with me :)

Snowbird said...

I don't open the door any more to trick and treaters, too many teenagersmessing around. xxx

Teresa said...

Espero que hayas pasado unas felices fiestas. Besos.