Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 October 2023

Roasting Red Peppers is perhaps one of the best ways to enjoy them

Roasting peppers is one of the best ways to enjoy them – the skin blisters and the flesh becomes soft and sweet. Try these simple methods for roasting at home, then perhaps try them in the recipes below. Discover the most efficient way to prepare and cook peppers and avoid reaching for that jar in the supermarket.


Why do you roast peppers?
Roasting, charring or blackening peppers brings out layers of flavours that will take your dishes to the next level. The flesh of the veg becomes super-soft and sweet, making it perfect for blitzing into sauces, soups and dips.

How do I prepare peppers?
When roasting peppers, you can either choose to halve them or keep them whole. Halving them is the preferred method, as it's best to get the fiddly prep done before cooking. Cut each pepper in half through the stalk, then remove the white membrane with a small serrated knife. Scoop the seeds out with a dessert spoon and discard.

Different ways to roast peppers
There are several different cooking methods to choose from. The key things to remember when roasting are:-
1. Use baking parchment instead of foil (as this can transfer a metallic flavour to the peppers).
2. Blackening and blistering the peppers is a good thing. The more blackened the skin becomes, the easier it will be to peel. This also gives a tasty, lightly charred flavour to the flesh of the peppers.
3. Stick with red peppers. These have the sweetest flavour and work best for roasting. Most varieties of red pepper work well, including Romano.

Basic roasted pepper cooking methods

How to roast peppers in the oven
1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
2. Line a large, flat baking sheet with baking parchment.
3. Halve the peppers and arrange on the baking sheet cut-side down.
4. Roast for 30-35 mins until the skin is shrivelled and lightly blistered.
5. Set aside to cool completely before peeling.

How to grill peppers
This is a speedier method for roasting peppers.
1. Heat a grill to high.
2. Halve the peppers and arrange on a non-stick, unlined baking sheet cut-side down (do not use baking parchment, as this can easily catch under the grill).
3. Grill for 15-20 mins until blistered and softened.

How to roast peppers on the hob
Traditionally, roasted peppers are cooked directly on a gas hob. This method is particularly useful if you're looking to achieve a smokier, charred flavour.
Put whole peppers directly on the flame of a gas hob and cook for 10-15 mins, turning often, until completely charred. You'll know they're done when they reach a deep, blackened colour.

How to peel roasted peppers
Once your peppers are roasted, pile them (still hot) into large food bags and seal. Set aside to cool in the bags, then peel off the skins and scrape away any lingering seeds. Alternatively, leave your peppers to cool at room temperature before peeling. The skin should slip right off if the peppers have been roasted well, so if you’re having trouble removing the skins, it may be worth cooking your peppers for slightly longer.

How do I store roasted peppers?
Once peeled and cooled, you can store your peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for five days. Alternatively, slice the peppers and put them in a jar with good-quality olive oil and crushed garlic cloves, then store in the fridge for up to one week. Do not freeze the peppers.

Roasted pepper recipe ideas
Roasted peppers work beautifully in so many dishes. They can be blitzed into a homemade hummus, tossed through a salad or eaten as part of an antipasto platter. Make a large batch of roasted peppers to use in different dishes. Homemade roasted peppers are more budget-friendly and tastier than their shop-bought counterparts.

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup with Ricotta
recipe details here


Roast Peppers with Cumin and Tomatoes
recipe details here


More from original article here

Do you enjoy peppers roasted, you may prefer them raw?
Eddie and I love red peppers, they are very nutritious, see here

A variety of articles and recipe ideas are found within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

happyone said...

I love roasted peppers and just had some the other day!!!

My name is Erika. said...

I love roasted veggies,well most of them, including red peppers.

Tom said...

...I generally eat them raw.

Lorrie said...

I love roasted peppers. When they are on sale here, I roast lots of them and put them into the freezer for future uses.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the instructions -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Granny Marigold said...

I enjoy roasted peppers on home made pizza. So tasty!!

Elephant's Child said...

Not for me. Raw I like them, cooked I don't.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also love roasted peppers and prefer to do so in the oven.

Margaret D said...

Never roasted them, we usually just cut them up and eat them raw in salads, sometimes in cooking.

Fun60 said...

I like to roast peppers and butternut squash and then use them to make soup.

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Antes los asaba y ahora me he vuelto me he vuelto más cómoda. Lo compro asado, en tarros de cristal.
Un abrazo

eileeninmd said...

I love the roasted peppers, yum!
Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead!

Valerie-Jael said...

Peppers are always delicious! Valerie

John's Island said...

I especially appreciate this post. One of my favorite meals is beef kabobs cooked on the grill. My kabobs always include pieces of red pepper, green pepper, and onions. Cooking on the grill gives the veggies that charred flavor I love. So, you’ve given me some great ideas about expanding roasted peppers into other meals I’m sure to enjoy. Thank you Jan!

Divers and Sundry said...

This looks delicious! I tend to cut them and use them in salads and soups.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Skinning peppers was my worst nightmare. A friend could only eat skinned peppers due to a severe allergy. She trusted me to remove every trace! Too much responsibility!

Bill said...

Roasted peppers are very tasty and I love them.

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Thank you for the great recipe and complete in everything, I like them regular, for me they are a bit indigestible, but it also depends on the amount you eat.
Best regards.

roentare said...

You are increasing my appetite for peppers!

Romance Reader said...

I like roasted peppers. Thanks for this recipe.

Norma2 said...

Jan, I prefer to bake them whole in the oven. When they are tender, smell them in a covered bag or container. When warmed, the skin may be removed. Store them in the fridge (a few days) in jars covered with oil and some garlic for flavoring.
Greetings from siempreseraprimavera.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

i roast peppers in the oven when i can. when i don't have the time, i buy them already roasted in a jar. they are always better when i roast them myself!!

i LOVE roasted red peppers!!!

Jeanie said...

I have never done this and have always been curious about how to do it and how to store it -- so you nailed it on all counts, and bonus recipes, too!

Conniecrafter said...

I eat peppers all the time but I don't think I have ever had them roasted, will have to try that :)

Teresa said...

Los pimientos me gustan todos, pero asados me encantan. Besos.

William Kendall said...

Looks good!