225 g ground almond
6 eggs, separated
100 g xylitol (powdered) low carb sweetener
1 tbsp. Cocoa powder
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of cream of tartar
2 tsp. red food colouring
About 360 g full fat Philadelphia soft cheese ( 2 packets)
70 g Xylitol, powdered (or to taste)
1. All the ingredients should be at room temperature
2. Prepare two round baking trays (about 20 cm diameter). Line it with baking paper and grease the sides with butter. Preheat oven to 180C. 350F. Gas Mark 4
3. Sift ground almond, cocoa, baking powder and salt into a bowl. For sifting ground almond try using a colander as a it’s rather difficult to do it with a standard sieve.
4. In a separate bowl, using electric mixer, beat eggs yolks with butter until yellow and fluffy. Add xylitol, food colouring and vanilla extract and mix all together well.
5. In a large bowl whip egg whites with cream of tartar
6. Add 1/3 of whipped egg whites to the eggy mixture and using spatula fold it in as gently and slow as possible. Fold the whole mixture into remaining egg whites and again, fold it in as gently as possible.
7. Add half of mixed ground almond and fold it in gently. Add remaining flour and repeat folding in.
8. Pour the batter into the cake tins and bake for about 20 mins. Check with a skewer if the cake is baked (the skewer should come out clean). Let it cool down.
You may wish to read 'Introduction to low-carb for beginners' post here