Total Pageviews

Tuesday 1 February 2022

February : Time for the first of the month quiz !

As we welcome February, the second month of the year, it's time for the first of the month quiz. I'm only asking seven questions, I hope you may have a go at answering them. 


1. At one time February was the last month of the year. True or false?
True
False

2. February gets its name from the word februa. What language does this word come from?
Greek
Latin
French
Sanskrit

3. What is the meaning of the word "februa"?
purification
winter
more daylight
rain

4. Augustus Caesar took a day from February to make August the same length as July. True or false?
True
False

5. Which of these flowers do many people consider February's flowers?
snowdrop
primrose
crocus
anemone

6. What is the birthstone for February?
garnet
ruby
sapphire
amethyst

7. How often does February have 29 days?
every four years
every ten years
every other year
always

How did you do? Please come back tomorrow when the answers will be revealed. 😊

In the meantime can I offer you a warming bowl of Cream of Celeriac Soup
Celeriac is a great winter vegetable. Much tastier than potatoes, low-carb and unlike other root vegetables, which store a large amount of starch, celery root is only about 5-6% starch by weight. Collins Gem calorie counter states flesh only boiled 1.9 grams of carb per 100 grams


Ingredients
Serves Four
For the soup
75g/3oz butter
1 onion, finely chopped
50g/2oz streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 leek, white only, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
700g/1lb 8oz celeriac, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 litre/1¾ pint chicken stock
200ml/7floz double cream
salt and white pepper
For the garnish (optional)
4 rashers pancetta
25g/1oz butter
1 tbsp olive oil
50g/2oz celeriac, peeled and finely julienne'd
1 slice white bread, cut into 1cm/¼ dice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp double cream
Instructions more details here

Dear reader, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

17 comments:

William Kendall said...

I know five of them: 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7.

Tom said...

...I had known that we were having a quiz, I would have studied!

J.P. Alexander said...

Uy ni idea. Te mando un beso.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know ONE for sure. I THINK I know at least three more. I look forward to seeing how smart or not I am tomorrow.

Christine said...

I know ques 7.

eileeninmd said...

Interesting facts. I am like Tom, not prepared. I should have studied.
Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.

Jo said...

Interesting questions, I shall look forward to the reveal tomorrow.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun Quiz! Happy February, Valerie

Creations By Cindy said...

I should have studied too! LOL! But, I do know a few things and one of them is the birthstone for sure! My birthday is this month! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Fun60 said...

Tricky questions. I think I know two but that remains to be seen.

Snowbird said...

what a fun quiz.I have a feeling I've done really badly!xxx

My name is Erika. said...

I've record my answers and will find out tomorrow how well I did.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

No star for me. sigh
:)

Lisabella Russo said...

What a fun quiz! The soup looks very yummy.

happyone said...

A few I knew the others I guessed. Will be fun to find out the answers. :)

DVArtist said...

Fun quiz. I know I got a few right. Love the soup.

Teresa said...

Creo que acerté varias. Feliz febrero.