Total Pageviews

Thursday 24 February 2022

Daffodils a welcome sign of Spring

As regular readers know, this blog brings a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes! It is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. Our main focus is about the Low Carb Higher (Healthy) Fat lifestyle, LCHF for short, and you can read/find out more about that in this post here

But for something different, today's post is about:-
Daffodils, for many they are the first sign that spring is on its way. Even on a grey day, daffodils make you feel like everything is right with the world.
Narcissus, the botanical name for daffodils, can be a little tricky to care for.


Here's What You Need to Know About Caring for Cut Daffodils:

1) Buy your daffodils when they're still a bit closed. They will begin to open after being in the water for a while.

2) Daffodils give off a sap that can be deadly to other flowers. So it's best to arrange them with other daffodils only. Feeling adventurous? Want to include them in a mixed flower arrangement anyway? Then let the daffodils stems soak overnight in cool water to release some of that sap.

3) Partially fill a clean vase with room temperature water. Half way should be good. Daffodils prefer shallow water.

4) Add some of the floral preservative from the little packet. A few shakes, not the whole thing.

5) Stand the daffodils next to the vase to see how long or short you want them to be.

6) Cut each daffodil stem on an angle with a sharp knife or flower shears. When in doubt, cut them longer than you think you actually want them. You can always re-cut them later. If you cut them too short the first time though...

7) Gently remove the protective husks or you can leave them on.

8) Repeat steps 3 - 6 every other day to help the daffodils last longer.

Do you like daffodils?
Words above from original post here

Once you've arranged your daffodils why not sit down with a cup of tea or coffee and enjoy a slice of low carb Italian Lemon Cake - see recipe details here


You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

36 comments:

Sondra said...

Daffodils are the welcome sign of spring in my yard, and the cake looks delicious...Enjoy the rest of the week.

Tom said...

...a cheery beginning of spring.

Christine said...

I didn't know daffodils were better in vases on their own, thanks for sharing. I love them.

William Kendall said...

We won't see them grow here until May.

J.P. Alexander said...

Hermosas flores. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

Martha said...

I love Daffodils and Italian Lemon cake!

My name is Erika. said...

Daffodils are so beautiful. They scream spring. Your lemon cake does too. It's coming very soon. hugs-Erika

bobbie said...

I love daffy-down-dillys!! Thanks for the tips on keeping them fresh ~

Valerie-Jael said...

Daffs and lemon cake, a glorious combination! Valerie

FlashinScissors said...

Very interesting article! Your photograph is so pretty I felt I could actually smell them.
I do love daffodils, we had some beauties a week ago, I didn’t know about the sap before.
Thank you.
Barbara x

linda said...

I love to have a cheerful bunch of daffodils displayed as soon as they appear on the shops, they never have the little packets of floral preservative they are in a bunch with an elastic band around them. It makes me wonder how they don't die when they aren't placed in water for so long.

Jo said...

I love daffodils, so cheery, and very affordable too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I used to have daffodils in my yard, but they have stopped growing, probably because they need to be transplanted. When I cut them, I always take a bucket of water with me, and immediately place them in the water until I get them inside to the vase they will live in. I have never found the desire to mix them with other flowers, but I love that you included that information.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love the daffodils, very pretty.
The cake sounds yummy, thanks for sharing.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Hilly Nicolay said...

What a wonderful daffodils.
The lemon tart looks delicious!

All the best and greetings from,
Hilly

DVArtist said...

Nice info on the flowers but that cake looks sooo good. Have a great day.

Laura. M said...

Un buen anuncio de la primavera.También están saliendo los primeros por aquí.
Buen jueves.
Un abrazo

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde. Espero um dia conhecer narcisos pessoalmente. Parabéns pelo seu excelente trabalho.

happyone said...

It is always nice to see those first daffodils in spring. It will be a while yet here for them but sure do look forward to them. I love daffodils.

DeniseinVA said...

I like how you cover a large variety of subjects Jan. Thank you for another outstanding post :)

Aritha V. said...

I love this post!

The first bulb fields to bloom in The Netherlands are the Narcissus fields. The yellow color is therefore one of the main colors in the Bollenstreek from mid-March to mid-April.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My backyard is still almost waist deep in snow. It will be a while before we see daffodils here.

New Release Books said...

Lemon cakes...yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe and the information filled blog.

sandy said...

I love lemon anything...yum.
our daffodils don't sprout here until April for the most part. Once in awhile i see one earlier..

Rose said...

Oh, they are like a bouquet of sunshine! I sure would not mind having a vase full of these on this dark, dreary day.

Joyful said...

Daffodils are so cheery after a dreary winter.

Carola Bartz said...

I love daffodils and grow them in my garden. It is always such a pleasure to see them emerging from the soil.
Mhm, that lemon cake looks delicious. I will check out the recipe - thank you!

CJ Kennedy said...

Daffodils are just a beautiful breath of Spring.

Lorrie said...

Daffodils are so cheery, and definitely one of the first signs of spring. I have some small tete a tetes blooming in my garden, but they are kind of shivery these days with our low temperatures.

Teresa said...

Preciosos los narcisos. Buen día.

Bob Bushell said...

Wonderful, Daffodils and lemon cake, they are the best.

Jeanie said...

Daffodils are possibly my favorite spring flower. I adore them and that bouquet is so springlike! I haven't seen many in the shops yet this year but hope to buy a bulb garden with them so I can plant them after they bloom. I didn't know some of these tricks to keep them going longer -- thanks for this one!

Phil Slade said...

I think we are two weeks behind your daffodils. Very few showing yellow yet. If only we could have some of your Southern Summer Sunshine.

Divers and Sundry said...

Daffodils are already in bloom here and such a cheering sight! Lemon cake sounds tasty :)

Debbie said...

such a good time of year to share this information about daffodils!!

Conniecrafter said...

Can't wait to see them blooming here again!