Total Pageviews

Friday 18 February 2022

Meanwhile here in the UK everyone's been talking about Eunice !

Here in the UK it seems everyone's been talking about Eunice! What about Eunice you may be asking? Are you meaning Eunice, (pronounced as YOO-nis), usually a girls name, which originates in Greek language and means "victory of goodness". In English-speaking countries, Eunice has been used since the Protestant Reformation. In Greek mythology, she was one of the sea nymphs, Nereids. She is also mentioned in the New Testament as mother of Saint Timothy

No we haven't been talking about the name but about a storm named Eunice and it really has filled our UK news with the havoc, damage and most sadly deaths it has caused. 

Eunice is very much in the news! Red alert weather conditions have been issued for many areas, train/travel services cancelled, schools closed, stay indoors warnings given. Much to their delight, and due to early closure of schools for safety reasons our grandchildren had an extra day off school, although some schools in the UK are already on half term holiday.

image from google

Yes, Storm Eunice, the sixth named storm of the season arrived across many areas of the UK. We recently had Storm Dudley which brought gusts of up to 90mph to northern England and southern Scotland and now Storm Eunice is bringing strong winds and the possibility of snow.

Why is it called Storm Eunice?

Have you ever wondered why storms get their names and why we've had Storm Arwen, Barra, Corrie, Malik, Dudley and now Eunice?

The Met Office names storms in association with Ireland’s Met Eireann and the Netherland’s KNMI meteorology service.

Eunice was a name selected as part of the Met Office's Name Our Storms collaboration.

For 2021/22, the UK public sent in 10,000 storm names to the Met Office - using anything from pet names to favourite books as inspiration.

The storm names for the 2021/22 season have all been selected by the Met Office and partners Met Éireann and KNMI - reflecting some of the more popular choices.

The next storm to directly impact Ireland, the Netherlands or the UK will be called Storm Franklin, according to 2022's list of storm names.

For example, Arwen is a name that is thought to be of Welsh origin and popularised by Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings books.

The names chosen reflect the diversity of the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands.

The 2021/22 storm season runs from September 2021 through to the end of August 2022.
Above words and more from here

Eddie and I took heed of the weather warnings and shopped a little earlier this week ... we have a good supply of delicious low carb food in the kitchen 😊
I must admit when the weather turns inclement I think of warm comforting soups and casseroles.

Quick Minestrone Soup
more details here

Winter Green Beef Casserole
more details here

What's the weather like where you live and what's on your menu plans?
Do please share in the comments.
Wherever you are stay safe and well, my good wishes to all our readers.

Please note, there is a variety of articles and recipe suggestions within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

41 comments:

Tom said...

...stay warm and safe!

Lorrie said...

We've heard about Storm Eunice and I have been thinking about the UK bloggers I know. I hope you all stay safe. Stocking up on needed supplies ahead of time is a good idea.

Sondra said...

I hope you dont have any issues from the storm...I agree I always think of easy things that I can heat n eat in case the electric goes out. Be Safe!

Susan Kane said...

Scary to be in such a storm! Keep safe, pay attention to new reports. I grew up in flood zones along the Mississippi and Illinois rivers.

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, that is a huge wave in that photo. There's been so many bad storms all over the place this winter, hasn't there? I think your minestrone soup looks perfect for bad weather, and it looks yummy. Hope the storm isn't too bad where you live.

happyone said...

That sure was some storm!! Hope all is well at your home and tomorrow brings calm weather and sunshine.

Martha said...

I've heard about Eunice. Being in Florida I'm used to those kinds of storms. Our hurricane seasons runs June - November so we're pretty much in the clear at this time of year. Very smart to stock up in advance. You two stay safe and enjoy those delicious meals!

Anonymous said...

I surely hope you're well, and that you're keeping yourself safe from any harm!

Christine said...

We are ready for spring!

bobbie said...

Please stay safe!!!

DMS said...

Wow! What a big storm! I always like soup in bad weather. :)
~Jess

J.P. Alexander said...

Cuidensen mucho. Les mando un beso.

peppylady (Dora) said...

My husband has an Aunt Eunice.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Elderberry-Rob said...

we had a lucky escape, we are a couple of miles from Gatwick where flights had trouble landing, but we were sheltered by woodland. Menu this weekend is chicken curry, lentil dahl rice tonight and tomorrow home made pizza :)

Iris Flavia said...

I am pleased Ingo came home safe and sound from grocery shopping, stormy here, too, and Hamburg, ohhh (it´s some 300 km away, but was on the news). Crazy weather.
Good for making kale again. (I´ll spend hours in the kitchen cause also thanks to you cooking became my job!!! When I remember the first stupid questions I asked you, ohhhh... boy-oh-boy).

Jo said...

I hope you got through the storm unscathed. Those meals look delicious, perfect comfort food when we're hunkering down.

mamasmercantile said...

The storm wasn't as bad as anticipated here thankfully, but my heart does go out to all those affected. Leek and potato soup is on the menu for today, made in case we had a power cut and I could just warm it on the stove.

baili said...

oh i am really sorry for the damage Eunice has caused

i hope things are improving gradually
thanks for the detailed explanation of the name of this storm ,one of my cousin has name with same pronunciation almost "yonus"

comfort foods are best gift by winters :)

thanks for link .
blessings!

eileeninmd said...

Eunice sounds scary, stay indoors and safe.
Take care, enjoy your weekend!

Breathtaking said...

He :=) Hello Jan, :=) It was interesting to read how storms are named.It has often crossed my mind how names are chosen. I have been reading about Storm Eunice in the news, and the devastation it caused I'm glad you are safe, and your house wasn't damaged.

Those recipes look delicious, nothing like comfort food when it's cold winter weather.
Have a good weekend
Best wishes from Portugal.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've seen the storms on the news. What a mess. So sorry.

Sue said...

We seem to have got away lightly here thank goodness. Why would you name a storm Dudley - that's not going to scare you indoors is it! Take care and stay warm and safe Jan & Eddie xx

Kinga K. said...

I'm so sorry for you ❤
Nice soup btw❤

Laura. M said...

Tremenda la fuerza de Eunice. Cuidarros. Por aquí hoy mucho viento. Me gustan las recetas.
Buen fin de semana para Todos.
Un abrazo.

Lori Miller said...

Eunice reminds me of the Carol Burnett character who was always on the verge of a fight with her family. Here she is with Betty White: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLSUW9ODX4

Stay dry!

Pam said...

Does the UK stick with naming just have girls? Years ago they started naming ours boys and girls names. I never used to freak over storms but since we are now what they call Tornado Alley, I sort of freak. Take care.

Christine said...

Stay safe Jan, Eunice is all over the news here.

lenalima said...

Gostei de saber sobre os nome das tempestades, interessante.
Tenho uma amiga que se chama Eunice.
Aqui no Brasil estamos divididos, estados chovendo horrores e matando muitas pessoas com enchentes e deslizamentos.
Na minha região, não cai uma gota.
Gosto de suas receitas, eu estou seguindo a dieta Fodmap por recomendaçao médica.
Fiz cinco cirurgias no intestino e não tenho mais o segmóide.
Que Deus nos proteja a todos! bj

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Here in the US, I heard about Eunice. I hope you're doing okay. Your food looks delicious.

Fun60 said...

Must have been on the same wavelength as I stayed home yesterday and made a beef casserole.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I do hope you and Eddie are okay Jan. The weather has been crazy all around the world! I too think of soup during the cold windy days. I'm planning on making taco soup for our family tomorrow. It's a favorite here. Stay warm and well!

William Kendall said...

Here it's cold, and we've had snow off and on the last thirty six hours.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Those huge storm waves breaking are terrifying.
Prayers for better weather

Lowcarb team member said...

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

J P Alexander said ...
Take great care. I send you both a kiss

Laura M said ...
Eunice's strength is tremendous. Take care of yourself. Around here today a lot of wind.
I like the recipes.
Good weekend for everyone.
A hug

lenalima said...
I liked to know about the names of the storms, interesting.
I have a friend named Eunice.
Here in Brazil we are divided, states raining horrors and killing many people with floods and landslides.
In my region, there's not a drop.
I like your recipes, I'm following the Fodmap diet by medical recommendation.
I've had five bowel surgeries, and I don't have the segmoid anymore.
May God protect us all! bj

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was offline since midday yesterday due to an area wide outage at AT&T. Now I'm trying to catch up. I like how your storms are named so very different from ours. My outage is a result of our latest storm. I hope you and Eddie are safe and eating lots of hot soups and stews.

DeniseinVA said...

That's interesting how these storms are named. I have read about Eunice in the UK and seen some of the photos. Dreadful storm! Thanks for the links.

aussie aNNie said...

Take care the storms appear deadly. xx

Hootin Anni said...

For some reason, I can't leave a comment on your Sunday post... hope it goes thru here.

I saw on our national news about your wind storms! Hope soon,all will be back to normal weather-wise!
That blueberry dish looks mighty tasty.

Be safe.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Even a storm doesn't deserve a name like Eunice!

Jeanie said...

I'm reading backwards but it's so good to know this information on the background of Eunice and hoping the aftermath isn't too bad. I'm glad you are OK so far.

Teresa said...

He visto las noticias sobre la tormenta, espero que estén bien. Besos.