Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 February 2022

Reading Has Positive Effects On The Brain


There's nothing like sitting down with a good book is there. I often put the kettle on make myself a cuppa pick up my book and before I know it I am engrossed in the story. Did you know reading does have positive effects on your brain, read on to find out more.

"Five Positive Effects Reading Has on Your Brain, why reading remains beneficial in the digital age.

There’s nothing like sitting down with a good book. While the hobby is plenty entertaining, scientists and doctors have observed several positive effects from reading. Books inspire creativity, critical thinking, increase empathy, and offer plenty of other incentives to go and enjoy some word power. Read on (pun unintended) for five benefits everyone can enjoy from books!

1. READING ALLOWS US TO EXPERIENCE MORE SENSATIONS
In a study conducted at Emory University, reading increases the activity in the brain’s central sulcus, which controls our motor skills. If we read a passage where a character is walking along a path, the activity from the neurons in this area make us feel as though we’re experiencing the walk ourselves. Then, there’s grounded cognition; a concept that proves that reading actually puts you in someone else’s shoes through the brain’s biology.

2. IT MAKES US MORE EMPATHETIC
Literary fiction readers have a higher ability to empathize with other’s emotions and thoughts than those who read mainly nonfiction. In other words, fiction readers can be more empathetic, and have an easier time seeing a situation from various perspectives, just by reading about their favourite characters.

3. BOOKS PROVIDE PLENTY OF MENTAL STIMULATION
Mentally stimulating your brain on a regular basis can help slow down Alzheimer’s and Dementia. It’s like physical exercise; the more you move, the better shape you’re in. For your brain to stay healthy and alert, it needs exercise. Reading (along with puzzles and certain games) keeps your activity levels high and your brain power nice and strong.

4. WE BECOME LESS STRESSED WHEN WE READ REGULARLY
When you make a habit of reading, it’s easier for your brain to relax and temporarily transport itself to another world. A good book can daily stressors evaporate, put you in your character's shoes, and keep you focused on the words you’re reading. If you’re looking for an easy way to relax and destress, try to make a habit out of reading more often.

5. READING CAN IMPROVE OUR MEMORY
When you read, you’re engaging more than a few brain functions, such as phonemic awareness, visual and auditory processes, comprehension, fluency, and more. Reading jolts your brain into action, maintains concentration, and allows your mind to process the events happening before you. The more you read and engage that part of your brain, the easier it is to keep your memory strong."
Words above from article here

Are you reading a good book at the moment?

As regular readers know, this blog is presented in a magazine style - we hope something for everyone. You will find a variety of articles, studies, thoughts, photographs, music and recipes!

However, not all the recipes ideas featured in this blog may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

31 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I love to read, I am glad it is good exercise for the brain.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

Elephant's Child said...

Good. My brain needs all the help it can get.

Jo said...

I love reading. I was a bookworm as a child, it dropped off a bit while I was bringing my kids up purely down to lack of time, but I'm an avid reader again now.

Hilly Nicolay said...

Reading enriches the mind.
I have two beautiful books at the time of the library.

All the best and greetings,
Hilly

pam nash said...

I love to read and have since I was very young. It does all those positive brain things and allows our imagination to take us to Never, Never Land with Peter Pan; to Oz with Dorothy and Toto; to help detectives from Nancy Drew to Joanne Brady solve mysteries; to be an innkeeper with a magical inn; to see the past through the eyes of someone else and so much more.

Rose said...

I feel naked, or like a part of me is missing if I am not reading. I dontvread bear as much as I used to, but I still have to have a book to pick up and read. And in summer I read more cause I can go sit in the swing to read.

Martha said...

Reading has always been at the top of my list of favorite things to do. Have a great week Jan!

Sue said...

I read loads, some good stuff and some absolute rubbish, but I love it! Have a great week, Sue xx

NanaDiana said...

I can't remember a time when I could not read. My father taught me to read before I went to first grade so I was ahead of my classmates. I have always loved to read but haven't had the time lately. I love how you can visit a whole different world when you are engrossed in a book. Diana

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I do like to read although I'm not reading a book at the moment. I think I would fall asleep I'm so tired.

Tom said...

...I wish that reading was easier for me!

Jenn Jilks said...

I love reading. All my kids do, as well!

bread&salt said...

Glad to hear that reading is good for our mental health! Thanks!

My name is Erika. said...

I'm a big reader. Always have been. And hopefully its a good book. Life is too short for books that don't speak to you.

William Kendall said...

I find it relaxing.

Christine said...

Good Post.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I hope when I retire. I can find a little more time to read.
Coffee is on and stay safe

happyone said...

My first grade teacher Mrs Claxton taught me to read and I've been enjoying books ever since. :)

Teresa said...

Me encanta leer, pero últimamente lo tengo un poco dejado. Besos.

Sondra said...

Totally agree, lately Im into History, and it's been really good!

Iris Flavia said...

I´m reading on how to feel better. A paper book, and on the kindle on DNA.

Debbie said...

i am not a reader BUT i love the picture of those cool books!!

Divers and Sundry said...

Books are good for you :) We knew it all along!

carol l mckenna said...

Reading is a passion for me ~ when I have a good book I feel like I am with a friend ~
Great post ~ Happy Reading ~ Xo

Wishing you happiness in your day,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Reading is food for the soul. At the moment, I am reading three fantasy novels, a book on houseplants, and a textbook on cognitive behavioral therapy. And I'm enjoying them all.

Jeanie said...

I couldn't agree more! Good news, for people like me!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Reading is such a joy for me. It is part of my breakfast, lunch and bedtime routines. I would love to have more free time to read. It will happen someday! Currently I am reading The Red and the Black by Stendhal which is quite entertaining.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I read a lot! I'm currently reading Mobius Dick by Andrew Crumley which is described as 'the only novel about quantum mechanics you could imagine reading on a beach'.

Laura. M said...

Me encanta esta carne. Se ve delicioso. Gracias.
Buena semana para Todos.
Un abrazo.

Conniecrafter said...

In the past couple of years I just stopped reading, guess I found other things to fill my time, sounds like I need to start it up again

Dewena said...

These points are wonderful to know! I'm glad that I'm at least doing one thing right and have all my life! I keep a biography or memoir going at my breakfast table, have a stack of books by my reading chair in three rooms and light relaxing books on my bed table. Not counting the cookbooks that I read like novels and bookshelves in every room except the laundry room and bathroom. And now I have good reasons to keep it up, thank you!