Total Pageviews

Friday 4 February 2022

T is for Tuna, it makes a tasty Fish Casserole : Low Carb Recipe

Tuna can be bought fresh, but is also available tinned. Albacore is one of the best types sold this way. Skipjack (which, like bonito, is somewhere between tuna and mackerel, but classed as a tuna) is the most commonly tinned variety. Tinned tuna is available packed in water, brine, vegetable oil or olive oil (with the last being the best).

I nearly always have a can of tuna in the cupboard, so handy on the rare event the fridge and freezer are empty! Do try to choose high-quality, MSC-labelled tuna fish, preferably in olive oil instead of sunflower oil.

Tuna Fish Casserole
~ a low carb recipe ~


Ingredients
Serves Four
5g carb per serving
2 oz. / 50 g butter
1 yellow onion (also known as brown onion)
1 green bell pepper (also known as capsicum)
5½ oz. / 160 g celery stalks
1 lb / 450 g tuna in olive oil, drained
¾ cup / 180 ml mayonnaise
1 cup / 2¾ oz. / 80 g freshly shredded/grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chili flakes
salt and pepper
Serve With
6 oz. / 170 g baby spinach
4 tablespoons olive oil

Cooking instructions are on Diet Doctor site here
You can read more about Tuna here


A variety of recipe ideas and articles are found within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

linda said...

I always have at least one tin of tuna in the house too, you can do so much with it, I quite like a tuna pasta, this fish casserole looks yummy. Have a great weekend

Divers and Sundry said...

I like tuna casserole, though mine is more boring than yours lol

kathyinozarks said...

sounds delicious I love tuna, My Mom made something similiar when we were kids-my father would not eat fish though happy weekend

Christine said...

Delicious!

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

It has to be very tasty, also nutritious and low in carbohydrates, you will have to try it.
Thanks for sharing it.
Best regards.

Tom said...

...thanks, I would enjoy this.

Susan Kane said...

Tuna casserole was a hit in my family, and it was served often. As long as I didn't put peas in it, they loved it.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

The casserole looks very appetizing.
Have a nice weekend:)

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice change of pace recipe. I buy tuna packed in water.

Elephant's Child said...

It is always good to have a last minute standby in the pantry isn't it?

carol l mckenna said...

Sounds and looks delicious ~ great for the Winter time ~ Xo


Wishing you joy in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Pam said...

I used to make a tuna casserole but have not in yrs. Used to make cream tuna on toast also...now I am hungry.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Tuna steak tastes nothing like tuna in a can. I was amazed tuna steak is so good.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks good.

Sue said...

I love a nice tin of tuna, though I'm not as fond of the fresh variety. Take care and have a fun weekend, Sue xx

William Kendall said...

I don't go for sea food, so not for me.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso

Lee said...

I had fish for lunch today! Sardines on toast...yum! :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds delicious. Have a great weekend, Valerie

Jo said...

That looks delicious. We always have a tin of tuna in the cupboard, it comes in handy as it can be used in lots of different ways.

eileeninmd said...

Looks delicious! We always have tuna in the pantry.
Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

Lowcarb team member said...

Giorgio said...
It isn't easy to find skipjack here. But I could try the recipe with the typical mediterranean tuna, which is also low in saturated fat and sodium, and it's a source of protein, and potassium ... in addition, there's olive oil in your recipe ;-)
Thanks for sharing!

Have a nice weekend!

NB copied and pasted from Giorgio's comment on the Answer to February's quiz post :)

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I havent had any kind of tuna casserole in ages. This looks really delicious!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also keep tuna on my pantry shelf. I buy albacore in water. This sounds quite good.

Lorrie said...

It looks like a quick and delicious dish to prepare.

Martha said...

Oh, delicious! I'd really enjoy this.

Teresa said...

Gracias por esta receta. Feliz tarde de domingo.

italiafinlandia said...

In Italy canned tuna is sold in olive oil, but here in Finland it is mostly in sunflower oil.

Debbie said...

we love tuna, and i always have it on hand!!