Total Pageviews

Wednesday 23 February 2022

'Top sources of priority micronutrients'

"Priority micronutrient density in foods

Background:
Despite concerted efforts to improve diet quality and reduce malnutrition, micronutrient deficiencies remain widespread globally, especially in low- and middle-income countries and among population groups with increased needs, where diets are often inadequate in iron, zinc, folate, vitamin A, calcium, and vitamin B12. There is a need to understand the density of these micronutrients and their bioavailability across diverse foods and the suitability of these foods to help meet requirements for populations with high burdens of micronutrient malnutrition.

Objective:
We aimed to identify the top food sources of these commonly lacking micronutrients, which are essential for optimal health, to support efforts to reduce micronutrient malnutrition among various populations globally.

Methods:
We built an aggregated global food composition database and calculated recommended nutrient intakes for five population groups with varying requirements. An approach was developed to rate foods according to their density in each and all priority micronutrients for various population groups with different nutrient requirements.

Results:
We find that the top sources of priority micronutrients are organ meat, small fish, dark green leafy vegetables, bivalves, crustaceans, goat, beef, eggs, milk, canned fish with bones, mutton, and lamb. Cheese, goat milk, and pork are also good sources, and to a lesser extent, yogurt, fresh fish, pulses, teff, and canned fish without bones.

Conclusions:
The results provide insight into which foods to prioritize to fill common micronutrient gaps and reduce undernutrition."
Above words from Frontiers in Nutrition article here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

Do you include any of the top sources in your menu plans?
Liver would be my choice as the number one organ meat, it's not on the menu today though, we have a nice pork casserole to enjoy 😋

You may like to read:
Nutrient packed organ meat - see here
What is a bivalve mollusk? - see here  
What is Teff? - see here


Dear reader, you will find a variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas are within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

24 comments:

William Kendall said...

Very informative. Thank you for sharing.

J.P. Alexander said...

siempre es bueno comer de forma racional. Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso.

Martha said...

Great info. I include many of the top sources but I draw the line at organ meat.

Jenn Jilks said...

We've not been eating well. I'm just having too difficult a time. Hooray for frozen foods.

Rose said...

I loved my mom's liver and onions, but I don't fix it. I never even see liver, but maybe because I am not looking. Beef was the star tonight.

magiceye said...

Very informative and useful. Thank you.

Tom said...

...eating well sure can be complex!

Linda said...

Wow, it would be so hard to get enough nutrients if you were vegan!

Christine said...

Interesting

Fun60 said...

Not heard the term micronutrients before. An interesting article.

Jo said...

We enjoy liver, it's been a regular meal on our menu just lately.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan ;=) You know what, liver is the only food I really dislike, and Tripe also, but on the whole I think I eat quite well, and the foods you mentioned that are good for you, are the ones I eat. I don't take any vitamins, as I think my diet is rich in every vitamin I need. It's good to know I'm on the right track.
Best Wishes from Portugal.

Inger said...

I remember eating liver a lot as growing up. Now I eat some of the things you menioned without thinking about the nutrients involved. Thanks for brining this to my attention.

Giorgio said...

You mentioned "small fish" ... this means that swordfish, tuna, amberjack, etc. can't be considered as a good source of micronutrients. Isn't it?

Great post, Jan! Many interesting information about the sourse of micronutrients.

Angie said...

Jan - very interesting. Apart from the fresh seafood, this seems like the diet my parents enjoyed while they were growing up on the farm. Maybe it is time more of us returned to that diet!

DVArtist said...

All of the above. Come join us at food Wednesday. http://hummingbirdwoodlandstudio.blogspot.com/ I can't remember if I invited you before, if I did sorry for the push. LOL

Practical Parsimony said...

I grew up eating calf liver when Mama cooked it with onions and put it in gravy. The last time she made it, I was in my 30s. I have never cooked liver. I probably never will, but I eat most of the other items in the list. When my children were little, we called it "steak." They loved liver.

CJ Kennedy said...

Not a fan of organ meat.

Snowbird said...

A very interesting post. Being vegan I think I'll have to start taking vitamins.xxx

Sue said...

When I was growing up I had liver, but it's not something I've eaten in years. All other organs are a definite no no for me! Take care, Sue xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Giorgio said...
You mentioned "small fish" ... this means that swordfish, tuna, amberjack, etc. can't be considered as a good source of micronutrients. Isn't it?

Great post, Jan! Many interesting information about the sourse of micronutrients.


Hello Giorgio
Fish like herring, mackerel and pilchards are very good to include in your menu plans, read more here
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/fish-and-shellfish-nutrition/

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

DVArtist said...
All of the above. Come join us at food Wednesday. http://hummingbirdwoodlandstudio.blogspot.com/ I can't remember if I invited you before, if I did sorry for the push. LOL

Hello Nicole (DVArtist)
Many thanks for your comment here.
Thanks also for the invite to Food Wednesday.
http://hummingbirdwoodlandstudio.blogspot.com/
I have visited and left a comment.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Very interesing indeed, Jan. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Teresa said...

Siempre interesante. Besos.