Total Pageviews

Saturday 30 April 2022

"Do You Know How to Properly Hydrate? It’s Not as Straightforward as You Might Think"


Sharing words from Mark Sisson writing on (his) Marks Daily Apple Blog-site*, he writes:

"Do You Know How to Properly Hydrate? It’s Not as Straightforward as You Might Think"

Hydration seems like it should be so easy: drink some water, go about your day, the end. Back in this blog’s* early days, and when I first published The Primal Blueprint, my hydration advice was simple: drink when you’re thirsty.

Over the years, however, my thinking on the hydration issue has become more nuanced. When I updated and expanded the most recent edition of The Primal Blueprint in 2016, I expanded on that basic advice to include more details about what we should be drinking and how much.

For the most part, I still think that “drink to thirst” is a sound strategy for the average person. Your body has a built-in, well-regulated thirst mechanism that will keep you from becoming dehydrated in normal circumstances. However, some folks, like the endurance athletes in the crowd, would be wise to take a more intentional approach.

Benefits of Proper Hydration and How It’s Regulated

Hydration is a critical component of optimal health. Digestion, muscle contraction, circulation, thermoregulation, and neurologic functioning all rely on having appropriate fluid balance in the body.

Your brain and kidneys are constantly working to maintain optimal hydration status. When you become even slightly dehydrated, several things happen. First and foremost, your blood osmolality (concentration) increases. Dehydration can also cause a decrease in blood volume and, often, blood pressure.

The brain and kidneys sense these changes and release hormones and hormone precursors designed to restore homeostasis. For example, the pituitary gland releases an anti-diuretic hormone called vasopressin, or AVP, which tells the kidneys to hold on to water. Blood vessels constrict. Most importantly, a brain region known as the lamina terminalis initiates the powerful sensation we know as thirst.

Pay Attention to Your Thirst!

For most people, proper hydration is as simple as 1, 2, 3.

1) Tune in to your body’s thirst sensations and respond accordingly.

2) Tailor your fluid intake to your individual needs. Rules like “drink at least eight eight-ounce glasses of water” or “drink half your body weight in ounces” are all well and good, but they might not be right for you. There’s not a lot of scientific support for those nuggets of conventional wisdom. Some days you might need less or considerably more.

3) Make appropriate adjustments for exogenous factors like climate and exercise. When it’s very hot, or you’re sweating buckets during some long endurance event, it’s best to stay on top of hydration rather than waiting for thirst to kick in.

Don’t Become Waterlogged

You can have too much of a good thing. While I’m all about the trend of carrying stainless steel water bottles everywhere we go for environmental reasons, there’s never any call to drink literal gallons of water. In fact, drinking too much can bring about the dangerous condition of hyponatremia, where excess fluid compromises the all-important sodium balance in your blood.

Hyponatremia can quickly become debilitating and even fatal. You may have heard the news stories of novice marathon runners losing consciousness after over-hydrating or radio station contestants drinking themselves to death in water-chugging contests.

By and large, your kidneys can deal with you drinking more water than you need within reasonable limits. You’ll just pee it out. Still, there’s no reason to force yourself to drink water beyond your natural thirst.

Salt: A Hydration Gamechanger

Maintaining proper fluid balance isn’t just about how much water you have in your body but also the concentration of key minerals, notably sodium. When you become dehydrated, you may experience not only thirst but also salt cravings.

Salt continues to get a bad rap, though thankfully the tide of conventional wisdom seems to be turning as more people recognize that salt is not the enemy. Salt—or rather, sodium—is essential in the truest sense of the word. Without enough, and without the right balance between salt and other minerals, our bodies literally cannot function.

Sodium helps transport water through the walls of your small intestines, where 95 percent of fluid absorption takes place. We Primal folks naturally consume less sodium than the average person since a large proportion of most Americans’ dietary sodium comes from hyper-processed foods that we avoid. For optimal absorption, I recommend adding a pinch of salt to your water, especially if you’re craving the stuff. You can also make a jar of sole (“soh-lay”) water and add up to a teaspoon to a glass of water."
Lots more to read, with all relevant links, here

Articles are provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you have any concerns about your general health, you should contact your local health care provider


A variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas are found within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

28 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. Food (or rather water) for thought.

Tom said...

...becoming waterlogged is easy!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

A good post about the importance of hydration. I try very hard to drink water throughout the day, though I really would rather just drink tea! Have a nice weekend.

Christine said...

Good information to just drink according to our natural thirst

Margaret D said...

Interesting.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like hot water.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Linda said...

Yes, I knew I woman whose niece died of hyponatremia during a marathon.

linda said...

Very interesting, I don't think I drink enough never as much as they recommend anyway. Have a great weekend.

CJ Kennedy said...

I never knew one could drink too much water.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I don't know why but my natural thirst interest is very low- I could drink a glass of water every few days. However, I do eat a good amount of fruit and vegetables which contain water. I literally force myself to drink a glass of water every morning when I wake up so I get some water in me each day. My intention is to drink more, but I am never thirsty and I do pee a normal amount. Interesting post- thanks

My name is Erika. said...

This is really interesting. I find when I am not hydrated I first start to get a sinus headache. If I drink a lot of water I can make it go away. Thanks for sharing, and happy end of April to you!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

when I worked in industry, the plant had no AC and with the added heat from machines, temps could reach over 100 F inside the plant in the summer. The nurse passed out salt tablets to counteract the lack of water and the excess heat. This was a great article and I am glad you shared it, Jan.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It seems that one needs a PhD to drink water correctly!

Jeanie said...

This is really interesting. I don't drink enough water and know that. This gives some really good strategies and seems to be well written. Also, the issue of too much. Thanks, Jan!

Creations By Cindy said...

Very interesting to read. I love water and I drink water off and on throughout the day. I also get water in my teas I make and of course my morning coffee! That's a must! LOL! I can tell for sure when I need water as I actually thirst for it. Nothing to me like a glass of water. Thanks for sharing the information. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Valerie-Jael said...

I always need to remind myself to drink more water! Valerie

DVArtist said...

Great post. Have a nice day today.

It's me said...

I always drink water….love happy weekend from me and Leaf 🍀🐾💗

happyone said...

This was such a great post. Happy to hear you say that not EVERYONE should drink 8 glasses of water a day. I tried that once and spent most of the day in bathroom!! :)
I was told that when you go to the bathroom and it is clear, you are drinking enough water. Yellow or golden you need more water. I've followed that advice for years.

Carla from The River said...

A great post.. I enjoy water! And I enjoy adding fruit to my water to make an infused water.
Carla

Rose said...

This was a good read.

Conniecrafter said...

It is hard to know how much is enough at times that is for sure, I have been having more cramps lately so wondering if my body is telling me I need more water

Divers and Sundry said...

Yes, it's more complicated than people realize. I keep a glass next to me and try to remain aware.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Good points about water and sodium. It seems like with many things, one needs to maintain a balance to achieve the correct amount of something.

Teresa said...

Unos consejos muy buenos. Besos.

Miss Val's Creations said...

For me, I get tired and my head aches if I don't drink enough water. So luckily my body tells me when I need more!

William Kendall said...

Good advice.

Hilly Nicolay said...

I know I should drink more water, I often forget.

All the best,
Hilly