Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 April 2022

The Boat Race Is Back !

Yes, the Boat Race will return to its celebrated Championship Course on the river Thames in London
and will take place on Sunday 3 April 2022.

From as far back as I can remember ‘The Boat Race’ was always a must watch sports event in our family, it was part of our family tradition… which still continues to this day. Yes, it‘s true the family are spread far and wide but we are all together in spirit for this event, and I know texts, emails and phone calls will be made as the Boat Race finishes later today.

My dad was always a firm Oxford Fan … my dear mum always used to support Cambridge - the event was a great family time to share, cheer, commiserate but it was always a time when we were together and for some reason no other sporting event had quite the same effect. I’ve never stopped to analyse why this was. Dear Mum and Dad are no longer with us, but I just know they will be looking down on Sunday 3rd April 2022 as this years boat race is due to start ... and the family will have so many fond memories of years gone by.

Will the water of the River Thames be calm or choppy? Will it be Oxford or Cambridge who takes the coveted 167th title? I hope the stretch of water between Putney and Mortlake will see a great race. The first race took place on 10th June 1829 in Henley on Thames, following a challenge between old school friends, since the second race in 1836 the contest has always taken place in London, except during Covid when it took place 'behind closed doors' in Ely, Cambridgeshire. So many followers (estimated 250,000) do flock to the River Thames with their families to be part of the event and to enjoy the wonderful atmosphere, while more than 5 million people watch the event on television.

The race is due to start at 15.23 Sunday 3 April 2022, and I will edit the post later with the winners!

*post edit*
Oxford won the Men's Race
Cambridge won the Woman's Race in a new record time


these are old photographs showing a win
for Oxford above
and Cambridge below


After the Boat Race I think we may enjoy
Chicken Drumsticks Simply Baked
a delicious low carb recipe, details here


~ Enjoy your Sunday ~

A variety of articles and recipe ideas are within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

23 comments:

Kay said...

That chicken looks awesome.
I either read a book or saw a movie about that Oxford boat race, but I just can’t remember what it was.

Elephant's Child said...

My mother was an Oxford supporter. Of course, because she studied there...
Enjoy your family time watching.

Tom said...

...we have a rowing event here in the fall.

J.P. Alexander said...

Suerte y disfruta de la regata. Te mando un beso.

Lee said...

I'm enjoying my Sunday...I'm busily attacking a plate of hot roasted vegetables as I type. It's almost noon here on Sunday.

Enjoy the boat race...and take care while doing so! :)

Margaret D said...

Rowing, a good sport.
The drumsticks are looking good, I usually bake mine too.

Valerie-Jael said...

We often used to go with our school to cheer at the boatrace! Valerie

Barwitzki said...

What a beautiful tradition the "The Boat Race". Thanks for reporting Jan. I can feel the tension...
We also have a great sporting tradition on the Elbe with pleasure boats, especially the 8 rowers :-)) I even sewed a small bag especially for this event.
Have a great time this afternoon with all your loved ones.
Warm hug Viola

Jo said...

The boat race is a British institution. I do love a chicken drumstick.

CJ Kennedy said...

Boston has a rowing race in October called Head of the Charles Regatta. So much fun to watch the crews. Best of luck to Oxford and Cambridge with a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love seeing activities returning. It's an encouragement to think we might eventually get past all this.

That chicken looks delicious!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jan,:=) I didn't know it was a historical event, although I knew of it's existence. May the best team will win. I wouldn't mind eating a chicken drumstick right now.
Regards.

Bill said...

The race will be fun once again.

Inger said...

How fun, activities and sporting events are coming back. A light at the end of this long dark tunnel, maybe.

Christine said...

Very exciting that things are getting back to normal. Those drumsticks look good.

Rose said...

It is wonderful that you have such fond memories and are still making more with this boat race.

Sue said...

It's good that things are getting back to normal. I must admit that I don't really care who wins the boat race lol. Take care and have a very happy April, Sue xx

Creations By Cindy said...

I hope you and family enjoy your time together. Those drum sticks look so good. We grilled hamburgers and hot dogs today. It was a beautiful Sunday to grill. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

sandy said...

how fun for you and the family. hope it turned out the way you hoped.

Teresa said...

Es un bonito evento y me gusta verlo. El pollo se ve delicioso. Besos.

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fun family tradition I think!

Jeanie said...

I would just LOVE to see this. It would so exciting to have it as your tradition but just to see and enjoy it no matter what. Lucky you -- I'm glad it's on.

William Kendall said...

There are a couple of rowing clubs here.