Total Pageviews

Tuesday 19 April 2022

'Wearing many common types of face masks causes you to breathe in microplastics'


Investigating the current status of COVID-19 related plastics and their potential impact on human health. (Study published online 2021 Aug 13).

Abstract
The COVID-19 pandemic led to a sudden global increase in the production, consumption, and mismanagement of personal protective equipment (PPE). As plastic-based PPE such as disposable face masks and gloves have become widely used, human exposure to PPE-derived pollutants may occur through indirect and direct pathways. This review explores the potential health impacts related to plastic-based PPE through these pathways. Face masks release microplastics, which are directly inhaled during use or transported through the environment. The latter can adsorb chemical contaminants and harbor pathogenic microbiota, and once consumed by organisms, they can translocate to multiple organs upon intake, potentially causing detrimental and cytotoxic effects. However, more research is required to have a comprehensive overview of the human health effects.

Introduction
Plastics are one of the most ubiquitous materials used across the planet. In the last 60 years, global plastic production has increased 20-fold, reaching 368 million tons in 2019. However, the improper management of plastic waste and its environmental persistence has resulted in the accumulation of plastics in many environments. Plastic debris and particularly microplastics (herein referred to as MP; plastics smaller than 5 mm) are considered ubiquitous pollutants and have been reported in water, soil, air, living organisms, as well as in processed food and drinking water. Therefore, human exposure to MPs is inevitable, and it is imperative to determine their impacts on human health.

The global immensity and impact of the COVID-19 pandemic were defined by the rapid and effective spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for COVID-19. This led to a global pandemic declared by the World Health Organization on March 11, 2020. The pandemic has resulted in an unprecedented surge in the production and consumption of single-use plastics (SUPs), including personal protective equipment (PPE). PPE are wearable items that protect the user against infectious diseases, such as SARS-CoV-2, and these items are mostly made from synthetic SUP. The monthly global consumption of face masks and gloves is 129 billion and 65 billion, respectively. This massive consumption of PPE has created an unbearable burden for conventional solid waste management worldwide, leading to the exacerbation of plastic pollution with new types of litter. Exposure to pollutants related to COVID-19 PPE (e.g. MPs, plastic additives, and viruses) may occur through direct and indirect pathways. We define direct pathways as ways in which individuals are immediately exposed to these pollutants during PPE use and management, while indirect pathways result in exposure over extended durations as PPE undergoes different processes. Given the health concerns related to plastic pollution, the unprecedented quantity of PPE being consumed and mismanaged into the environment worldwide, it is necessary to critically analyze the threats of PPE to human health. In this review, we present how PPE pollution is driven by the COVID-19 pandemic and how the direct and indirect exposure pathways of this pollutant can potentially implicate human health.
More to read with all relevant research links here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

Covid 19 and it's many variants has not gone away. Many of us do still wear face masks, like the picture above, while others prefer a fabric type. Many people worldwide have suffered with MaskneLike it or not we are all still learning to live with Covid 19, and my mask is always with me ...  

As always many thanks for taking time to visit and read this blog. Please share your thoughts about this post/article in the comments section, but most importantly, stay safe and well and enjoy your day.


~ in the meantime some flowers for you to enjoy ~

All the best Jan

22 comments:

Tom said...

...not good news.

J.P. Alexander said...

Uy así no nos guste y todo el peligro que lleva. Toca seguir usando mascarillas. Te mando un beso.

Christine said...

I use fabric masks mostly.

kathyinozarks said...

Good information thanks for sharing

Jo said...

I still have a face mask with me whenever I leave the house too.

Sami said...

Apart from microplastics I do wonder if sometime in the future we will have other breathing or lung problems from using masks long term, as well as skin problems or other organ toxicity problems from the over-use of sanitizer. I can't wait to stop wearing maks and unlike the rest of the world we haven't been wearing them that long in Western Australia either...

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

We still take our masks everywhere. The Covid variants seem to be causing case numbers to go back up here. Take care and stay safe. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Sondra said...

I had not thought of that plastics are such a nemesis I have become extremely aware of packaging that my food comes in and have altered the products I buy to stop bringing home plastics especially if it can't be recycled. Most mandates are lifted here so Im no longer using the mask. I think only hospitals and doctors offices are the ones still mandated...some public buildings.

Creations By Cindy said...

Thank you for the wealth of information. I hope that your week is lovely. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Miss Val's Creations said...

Just another thing for us to worry about. I have heard that all drinking water these days, including spring water has plastic particles in it. There has been too much damage to our planet and it is so sad. Today the US airlines lifted the mask wearing requirement so I think we are seeing progress with the pandemic here. Fingers crossed for easier days ahead!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Scary, I'm glad I wore fabric masks.

R's Rue said...

Thank you for sharing.

Snowbird said...

That is worrying. I hear microplastics have been found in peoples lungs now.xxx

Jeanie said...

That's very interesting. Keeping my fingers crossed my collection of n95s are pretty safe.

William Kendall said...

I use fabric masks.

DeniseinVA said...

That's very interesting, and we have tried to do away with plastics, as much as we can. We carry our own reusable water bottles wherever we go, and take our own bags to the store. I remember my mother's string bags and I see they are coming back. I also take my own veggie bags and will not use the plastic ones made available. I look around now and people are doing the same. As for the mask issue, I still take mine around with me. On planes it has become a big issue and I see that most airlines are allowing people to travel mask free. The thing is this, whenever I have traveled even before the pandemic, I never failed to get sick after a flight and it ruined a good part of my holiday, whether it was with family, or we were going somewhere on our own. And then of course you spread your germs around also, and your family members get sick, which makes me feel terrible. One thing I have learned through this awful pandemic is, that masks have kept me free not only from Covid, but the flu and even the common cold. I haven't been sick for a day. And I am not only taking care of myself but my family and friends, and anyone else who comes around me. Whenever the day comes that I fly, I will be wearing my mask. Apologies for the epistle!

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks to you all for your comments on this post and sharing your thoughts.

Denise no need to apologise for the epistle :)

Wishing all readers a good week ahead, stay safe and well.

All the best Jan

Laura. M said...

Despuésde 700 días con 😷 En España hoy ya no es obligatorio en lugares cerrados, excepto en transporte público. Centros de salud. farmacia... Esperemos no volver atrás.

After 700 days with 😷 In Spain today it is no longer mandatory in closed places. except on public transport. Health centers. pharmacy... Let's hope we don't go back

Un abrazo.

My name is Erika. said...

That's scary!

DVArtist said...

Excellent post.

Conniecrafter said...

Isn't it something that some things that are supposed to be helping us can also do harm. I wonder if they have done a study on Doctors and nurses that even before the pandemic had to wear them all the time.

Teresa said...

Muy interesante reportaje. Besos.