Total Pageviews

Friday 29 April 2022

Rhubarb a symbol of Spring !

Rhubarb
Elegant stalks of bright pink rhubarb are a true symbol of spring. Rhubarb grows from a root that can live for up to 20 years, with some varieties growing stems up to 1.5m long. Choose firm, straight stalks that have a bright red colour. Avoid those that are limp or discoloured, or stalks that are very thick. Older stalks may be a bit stringy, like celery, but spring rhubarb will be tender, so there's no need to peel it.


~ How about trying ~
Roast Chicken with Rhubarb
something a little different - see details here


Rhubarb Fool
a delicious dessert - see details here


Looking through this blog you will find a variety of articles, studies etc. plus recent news/views and recipe ideas, we hope something for everyone to read and enjoy ... but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

23 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I do like rhubarb desserts, but I never thought of rhubarb as part of a savory meal. Nice suggestion!

Lee said...

My landlords used to grow lots of rhubarb...I'm not sure if they still do.

Tom said...

...I hope to have some to pick from my garden this year.

sandy said...

I never knew rhubarb could be so good until my son made a pie with rhubarb out of their garden a few years back. Looks delicious.

kathyinozarks said...

I love rhubarb goes great with strawberries too

Christine said...

It is a lovely symbol of spring.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las recetas. Te mando un beso.

Lorrie said...

I picked the first rhubarb just a few days ago. It's lovely stewed with yogurt. I also love a rhubarb fool. A true sign of spring!

Margaret D said...

Something I haven't eaten in years, from memory I loved it.

Elephant's Child said...

I love it - but the other household resident won't eat it. His loss.

eileeninmd said...

The chicken meal looks yummy.
I have never tried rhubarb.
Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

CJ Kennedy said...

I never thought of pairing rhubarb with anything other than strawberries for pie

Jeanie said...

I keep thinking I should grow this -- you can't seem to kill it and it's really good!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely rhubarb! Valerie

happyone said...

I love rhubarb. It has just started popping up in my garden.

Maria Rodrigues said...

It really is a symbol of spring.
How delicious the Roast Chicken and dessert looked.
Have a wonderful weekend

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I like a rhubarb crumble. I'd never thought of having it with meat.

William Kendall said...

I've never gone for rhubarb.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am looking forward to the first rhubarb. We use it in so many different ways.

Carla from The River said...

My rhubarb is popping up. And a friend gave me four more plants. I am excited for the rhubarb season. :-)

Conniecrafter said...

Love rhubarb, I haven't found it yet in my stores here, hopefully soon.

Teresa said...

Tus recetas siempre son interesantes. Feliz mes de mayo.

Hilly Nicolay said...

As you may know from my blog, I have rhubarb in the vegetable garden.
I love it and will definitely try this dessert!

Thank you for sharing.