Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 July 2022

Feta and Salad, such a great taste combination

Feta is made from sheep or goat’s milk. It is good for your bones since it’s high in calcium, protein and phosphorous. In fact, it contains more calcium than most other cheeses, and you can read more about it here

Feta can be used in all kinds of dishes but here I share two salad recipes that you may wish to try ... Bon Appetit 😋 


Chicken, asparagus and feta salad
a salad full of flavour and contrasting textures

Ingredients
Serves Four
Chicken salad
1 lb green asparagus
1 tbsp butter
1 lb cooked chicken breast
3½ oz. sugar snap peas, strings removed
7 oz. (1 1⁄3 cups) feta cheese, crumbled
2 (1 oz.) scallions (spring onions), white and green parts, sliced
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup (1¼ oz.) hazelnuts, roughly chopped
Dressing
½ cup (3 oz.) Greek yogurt (4% fat)
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
To serve
4 cups (5 oz.) lettuce
Instructions
can be seen here



Horiatiki / Villager's Salad
Horiatiki means villager in Greek, so this dish simply means villager’s salad.

Ingredients
Serves Four
125 g Greek feta
2 green peppers
1 cucumber
1 small red onion
5 ripe tomatoes
1 handful of Kalamata olives
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Instructions
more details can be seen here

You will find a variety of recipe ideas are within this blog, but please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team

All the best Jan

35 comments:

Jeanie said...

I think Feta amps just about anything up. It's one of my favorites.

Elephant's Child said...

The second for me (minus the cucumber). Thank you.

CJ Kennedy said...

I wish I liked cheese

Tom said...

...looks tasty.

Ananka said...

I miss real feta! But the vegan feta tastes really good. And love a feta salad :-D

Norma2 said...

The Greek salad is delicious with the necessary ingredients for a healthy diet.
I greet you today from
https://norma2-siempreesprimavera-norma2.blogspot.com/

happyone said...

I love feta cheese!!

My name is Erika. said...

Feta is such a yummy cheese, isn't it?

DUTA said...

Your second recipe suits me. The first mixes meat (chicken) with dairy (butter and feta), and I don't mix the two, but eat them separately.

Christine said...

I didnt know feta was from sheep or goats milk. I do like manchego which is from sheep milk.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Delicious and good for me. I think I just figured out what I'm having for dinner tonight. Thank you, Jan!

Practical Parsimony said...

I love feta! I have been known to eat a few chunks during preparation...lol.

J.P. Alexander said...

Rica ensalada te mando un beso.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love Feta too. It's great to whip it into a creamy goodness too. Your salad looks wonderful.

Weekly Meal Plan - Meals On Me said...

Nice Post!!
Please look here at Keto Meal

Giorgio said...

I love the Greek salad. I had it many times while I was visiting Greece's islands. We have oregano here in Italy, but Greek oregano tastes different.
We sometimes find feta cheese here in Rome and its surroundings. The problem that feta cheese we buy in Italy is much saltier than the original one.
I didn't know there were red onions in the Greek salad, as I saw white one in Greece.
Thank you for the recipe :-)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Both salads look delicious. Take care, enjoy your day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish feta wasn't so expensive here. I love it, but it costs more than gold where I shop!!

Aritha V. said...

Thank you. Lekker!

Caty said...

Wow what refreshing salads Jan! We really like cheese, and feda cheese always goes very well.
With this heat that we spend here, your menus are welcome.
Happy day and a big hug
Caty

Aishu said...

Look good! I love Feta cheese. :)

Sondra said...

The Greek Salad looks awesome...

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm the only one here that likes feta. I look for small packages.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Those recipes look great! I really like feta, especially in combination with olives!

Bob Bushell said...

It does really taste well, the second one my favourite, no meat, ha ha ha.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Love Feta cheese
A few summers ago. I put it on everything. :)

William Kendall said...

I do like feta.

Laura. M said...

Una ensalala muy rica para el calor que tenemos.
Un abrazo.

Debbie said...

i LOVE feta, the hubs, not so much. but still, this would be a great salad with no cheese or a different cheese!!

Martha said...

Great salads! And I can't tell you how many times in my life I've eaten the Horiatiki / Villager's Salad. It was a regular in our household when I was growing up!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We use feta several times a week, primarily in salads, but we have a couple of recipes that call for it too. I really like it and can nibble on it for a snack.

Anonymous said...

I love feta. It’s the perfect addition to a salad or most other things.

Phil Slade said...

That villager's salad looks familiar. and whoever says that salad is not filling should try eating a typical Greek salad. When in Greece we always order a smaller one as the ideal size - for two people.

carol l mckenna said...

Great salads ~ so yummy and healthy ~ Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Teresa said...

Me encantan las ensaladas. Besos.