Total Pageviews

Monday 11 July 2022

Tips : How To Eat Well On A Budget

I think all readers would be in agreement that prices are going up and up, no matter which country or continent you live! So with that in mind I am sharing snippets from an article by Michael Joseph at Nutrition Advance site who writes:

"It is sadly a fact of life that food can be expensive, and food is a basic need that we all have to budget for.

However, there can be significant differences in the prices of food.

This article looks at how to eat well on a budget, regardless of dietary preference.

As part of this, there are some budget-friendly buying tips and a list of relatively cheap yet nutritious foods.


Budget-Friendly Buying Tips
Here are some general tips to help make shopping on a budget easier.

1) Visit Larger Supermarkets/Grocery Stores
Large grocery stores and supermarkets tend to have better deals on common foods.

2) Don’t Shop On An Empty Stomach
People tend to make better food choices when they are not shopping on an empty stomach.

3) Consider Canned and Frozen Foods
Canned and frozen foods can sometimes be a more affordable way to fit nutrient-rich food into the diet.

4) Consider Like-For-Like (But Cheaper) Alternatives
Some foods provide a nutritionally similar yet cheaper option to commonly desired foods.

5) Buying In Bulk = More For Less
Buying food in greater volume tends to provide a better price gram-for-gram.

6) Visit Food Stores Near Closing Time
Bargains can be found in aisles selling fresh grocery products toward store closing times.

7) Make a Shopping List – and Stick To It
Using a shopping list makes it a bit easier to stay on budget by buying only the necessary items.

8) Prepare a Homemade Lunch
Taking a homemade lunch to work/school can cut down the food budget, and you can choose precisely what you want to eat too.

9) Don’t Worry About Buying Expensive ‘Organic’ Foods
Buying organic food isn’t necessary, particularly if trying to consume nutrient-rich foods on a tight budget.

10) Use a Food Waste App To Rescue Short-Dated Food
Using a food waste app allows people to “rescue” perfectly good food – it just needs eating quickly.

A List of Cheap Yet Nutritious Foods
This section lists foods that provide a range of nutrients yet are often available for an affordable price."


Michael lists a lot of foods in this section, from apples, to eggs, to liver, to tea and lots more, please see link at end of post. 

"Final Thoughts
The expense of food can make some of us turn to cheaper, lesser healthy options.

However, as this article shows, there are several things we can do to help us eat well on a budget. These include little tips like shopping lists, visiting stores near closing time, and using food waste apps.

We can also eat better for cheaper by focusing on more affordable alternatives to popular foods. In this regard, canned and frozen foods often offer better value for money when compared to fresh food."

The above is just a snippet from Michaels article, which you can read in full here

I particularly liked points two and seven from his list, and I always have eggs on my shopping list, they are so nutritious, but what do you think?


This blog brings a variety of articles and recipe ideas, and it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use a reliable meter. If you have any concerns about your health it is always advisable to consult your Doctor or health care team.

All the best Jan

33 comments:

Tom said...

...good advise.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Lot of store are open 24 hours, even larger ones.
Coffee is on and stay safe

William Kendall said...

Good recommendations.

Practical Parsimony said...

#7, sticking to a list is not a good idea. Maybe you run upon marked-down chicken but it is not on your list. Well, you can buy it instead of something meat on the list. If you are shopping for a certain vegetable and another is cheaper, you could get the cheaper vegetable.

About 35 years ago, I had $5 to spend on groceries. I found green beans 5/$1 and decided to leave off something else to get more than the one can I planned to get. That instance led to my buying in bulk eventually and looking for food choices.

I have read that people from UK go late to the store to get markdowns. However, in the US this happens mostly in the morning, with some stores also marking down all day long, especially in produce. My friend went early to the grocery store before work with a cooler and ice to get meat markdowns. Those meat markdowns are usually gone by midmorning.

That store was a smaller store. It had better deals than the larger chains in town. Of course, half the customers stunk to high heaven. I could tell the stinky men from down the aisle and just held my breath!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por los consejos. Te mando un beso.

Lori Miller said...

Buy odd bits like beef tongue; grow your own vegetables and berries; shop your freezer.

Lorrie said...

Some very good tips there. I find that eating seasonally is helpful for the budget. Eggs are a staple here and are so versatile.

Margaret D said...

Good tips for sure Jan.

Jules said...

Some very useful tips. I often wonder how much I have 'saved' over the years, from taking picnic lunches when I go out for the day. X

Elephant's Child said...

Great tips. Eating fruit and vegetables that are in season helps bring the price down too.

Giorgio said...

What great post! ... Actually, we've to buy only the necessary items and don't go shopping on an empty stomach.
I don't buy friuts and veggies that have been shipped from other continents. In Italy we see walnuts fron Chile, pears from Argentina, garlic from spain, etc. I disagree on this.
Thanks for your useful information!
Have a nice week :-)

DUTA said...

Yes, prices are up, and there's also talk of shortage and even..famine.
We should definitely try to think of alternatives. I'm doing that, but I can't find any alternative to eggs and milk, in case of shortage in these products.

My name is Erika. said...

Good points. It is can be so expensive right now to eat.

eileeninmd said...

Great advice and information.
It seems our grocery bill goes up each week.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

Christine said...

Good tips!

Jo said...

Some good tips. I always impulse buy if I'm feeling hungry whilst shopping.

Martha said...

Sound advice! We practice most of these points and it helps. Prices are getting ridiculously high and it's getting more and more difficult for everyone.

Jeanie said...

I already incorporate a lot of these ideas but picked up a few new ones! Thanks, Jan!

R's Rue said...

Very good tips. Thank you. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Helpful tips to follow
Top on my list are... hungry, don't over shop, and use a list. Those have helped me a lot.

Divers and Sundry said...

Many people need help with suggestions like these in these days. I'm one :) Rice and beans only go so far ;)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I once wanted to take a vacation that I was not sure I could afford. The only place to cut back and save was on groceries. For FOUR months, I ate nothing but peanut butter and carrots. Cheap and nutritious, but never again. I like the list you provided Jan.


Sondra said...

Food keeps going up up up I bring home less and less...its hard to cut when the only place you can cut is the food budget. Great tips here...enjoy your week.

Jeff said...

Good advice. As much as possible, I try to avoid prepared foods and cook from scratch with lots of vegetables, etc. Thankfully, I have a pretty good garden to supplement my diet.

DVArtist said...

Good suggestions. Thank you.

Mary Kirkland said...

Great tips. Food prices have really increased quite a bit.

Carla from The River said...

Thank you.. I am so thankful for our garden. We are going to process more veg this year for the winter months.
Carla

Creations By Cindy said...

Love the tips. Shop wisely is we must all do for sure. The prices are so crazy and I am afraid they are rising. I try to buy my meats when they go on sale and have the butcher to slice them for me. However, If I've no time for that Marty has everything we need to process our meat as we white tail deer hunt and we do our own processing. It surely saves money. I buy fresh and especially when it goes on sale and if we eat it of course. I do try to stock up some on canned items as well as we never know what might take place in this society. We rarely eat out and I pack all of Marty's lunches for him daily for work. I struggle to think what people spend on eating out so much. Well, I better hush Jan or I will be on a soap box. LOL! Thanks for the tips. Love them. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Ananka said...

Good advice. Things are so pricy aren't they. And I dread filling up the car too!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Good tips and certainly very useable right now with prices continuously escalating. Just feeding a family of 4 could be very costly right now.

Teresa said...

Muy buenos consejos. Gracias y besos.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Good advice, Jan! My husband and I were first married long ago during a bad recession in the US and we learned early how to shop frugally. It has served us well in our entire marriage. We always by the sale items and I plan my recipes around them. It has made me a creative cook! Not a bad way to live.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I must read up on food waste apps. That is not something I am familiar with. Food prices are crazy these days.