Total Pageviews

Friday 29 July 2016

Chicken caesar salad with red grapes


The summer months are a great time to enjoy salads and there are so many wonderful variations. Take this one for instance - a chicken caesar salad - topped with red grapes, can make for a healthy lunch or tea. Well why not eat and enjoy it at a time that suits you!

Ingredients:
Serves Four

460g chicken breast fillets
1 tbsp olive oil
2 sticks celery, sliced
½ cucumber, de-seeded and cut into half moons
150g red grapes, halved
680g Romaine (Cos) lettuce
2 tbsp Caesar salad dressing

Method:
1. Slice the chicken into thin strips and brush all over with the olive oil. Heat a griddle pan and cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, then turn and cook for another 1-2 minutes on the other side, or until cooked through. You may have to do this in batches. Set the cooked chicken aside and allow to cool slightly.
2. Toss together the celery, cucumber, grapes and cooked chicken. Spoon on to the lettuce leaves and then top with the chicken. Drizzle over the dressing to serve.

Each serving provides:
9.5g carbohydrate 3.4g fibre 30.3g protein 7.7g fat

Recipe idea from here


Romaine (Romano) or Cos lettuce is long and almost oblong in shape. The leaves are thick and firm with a stiff central rib. The outer leaves are slightly bitter, but the ones in the centre are sweeter and more delicate. This lettuce is also packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and fibre, which you can read more about here 

Enjoy your salad ...

All the best Jan

16 comments:

Tom said...

Great for a hot summer day.

Jo said...

I enjoy salads, especially during the summer months.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this salad looks refreshing. YUM! Perfect for a hot summer day. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Tom on this.

Ben

Debbie said...

romaine lettuce is my favorite. this looks like a nice salad!!!

Bob Bushell said...

Nice recipe, without the chicken.

happyone said...

Another good one, I love these kinds of salads that are meals.

Stephanie said...

What a fabulous idea to add grapes to the salad! This salad looks like a winner, my friend. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hugs to you!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I make chicken caesar salads for dinner often (sometimes shrimp instead of chicken) but I've never thought to add grapes. My dressing is homemade and you would not approve of how much I toss the romaine in.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

It looks wonderfully delicious! :)
A stupid question: why to de-seed the cucumber?
Have a lovely weekend! xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Sara - you asked 'why to de-seed the cucumber'

Well just sometimes a cucumber can taste bitter ... this is because 'most of the bitterness in a cucumber is in the seeds. Just scrape away the seeds if you want to deal with any possible bitterness. The older and more seedier a cucumber is, the more likely that there will be some bitterness in it.'

Read more about cucumbers here http://www.cooksinfo.com/cucumbers

I have to say most of my cucumbers I just wash and slice ...

All the best Jan

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Thank you, Jan!
Now when I think of this, I remember the outdoor varieties we used to grow when I was a child: Probably their seeds tended more easily to be bitter. Now when we buy the greenhouse cukes, there's seldom this problem.
I love cucumbers - when I smell that somebody has sliced them, I start to feel happy. :)
Love,
Sara

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Thank you for your visit Jan. What delicious recipes you have shared :)
Have a wonderful weekend.

Lisa said...

Savanna likes all these things but I'd never think of making a salad and adding grapes, would make a good packed lunch when she goes back to school.
Lisa x

The Happy Whisk said...

I enjoy grapes in my salad.

Dewena said...

This is a pretty salad. I do love recipes I can put together quickly like this one. I tried a wonderful recipe for the Caesar salad dressing recently, made with raw eggs. I didn't worry too much about the eggs as they were from our neighbor's hens but then I felt sickish for a couple of days and wonder if it could have been the raw eggs. I remember when I used to use raw grocery store eggs for all kinds of recipes.