Total Pageviews

Saturday 9 July 2016

Minted lamb kofta and halloumi skewers with minted cucumber yogurt


Now, if you happen to have a summer barbecue planned, this recipe may be just what you are looking for. Of course you could just enjoy them for a nice indoor dinner too - what would you choose?

Ingredients
Serves 4
2 red onions
500g lamb mince
125g halloumi, cut into 16 pieces
½ tbsp ground cumin
3 tsp dried mint
¼ tsp crushed chilli flakes
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 vine ripened tomatoes, halved and finely sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
250g Greek-style natural yogurt
¼ cucumber, seeds scooped out and chopped


Method
1. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a small pan. Dice 1 of the red onions and add it to the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until softened but not coloured, then remove to a plate to cool.
2. Place the lamb mince in a bowl and combine with the cumin, 2 tsp mint, chilli, garlic and cooled onion. Season to taste, then shape into 24 ovals. Place 3 of these on each skewer with 2 pieces of halloumi inbetween. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
3. Meanwhile, slice the second red onion. Combine with the tomatoes, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil, then season to taste and set aside. Combine the yogurt with the cucumber and remaining mint, then set aside.
4. Once the lamb skewers have chilled, heat a griddle pan over a medium/high heat. Brush the remaining oil over the skewers and place on the griddle pan (you may need to do this in two batches). Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through and keep warm.
5. Once all the kebabs are cooked, divide them between 4 plates and top with the tomato salad and the cucumber yogurt.

Each serving provides:
13.4g carbohydrate 3.2g fibre 33.4g protein 39.3g fat


Recipe idea from here



Happy Summer Eating

All the best Jan

13 comments:

Anupama K. Mazumder said...

Looks easy and yummy! Also very healthy in these summer months!

www.volatilespirits.com

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

This actually looks yummy, but I have never even tasted lamb so it would be a new experience for me. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments. I really appreciate it. And thanks also for the low carb recipes. My husband is on a LCHF diet for his diabetes and his sugar levels are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Love the halloumi with the minced lamb. As others have said yummy!

Jenny S

Debbie said...

i had no idea what halloumi was, i googled it and it sounds like an interesting cheese!! this looks very good but i would make regular meatballs instead, it's just my preference. and since my garden is over flowing with dill, i would use dill instead of mint. i love dill with cucumbers!!!!

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm not a real fan of lamb, but since I'm Greek, you'd think I'd like it more. But these lamb skewers look sooooo good.

Have a peaceful Sunday, Jan.

~Sheri

Carla from The River said...

Oh my, I have not had lamb in a long while. I must have it again.
Carla

Gypsy Heart said...

I think this dish looks so delicious and healthy, however, I couldn't do the lamb. :)

Thank you for sharing! Have a blessed weekend ~

xo
Pat

happyone said...

My husband is not a fan of lamb but I think it would work well with ground beef too.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jan,

I often make lamb koftas and they are so good with mint, and cucumber yoghurt.
Have never tried them with halloumi and will have to try this
Hope you are enjoying the weekend
hugs
Carolyn

Stephanie said...

Sounds delicious, my friend, though we don't eat lamb. I think I would love to try this recipe by simply substituting the meat for something else.

Thank you for the many tasty recipes. Hugs to you!

handmade by amalia said...

This looks like the perfect summer dish, Jan. Delicious.
Amalia
xo

roughterrain crane said...

This must be tasty. What a good job you did!

Lisa said...

I love halloumi cheese and I bet my lot would like the koftas.
Lisa x