Total Pageviews

Wednesday 5 December 2018

Christmas Salad ...looks so colourful


With Christmas just around the corner, how about this idea! I'm sure family, friends, guests and all will delight in eating this colourful lunch or dinner starter. It's light and bright, and made with gorgeous smoked salmon, avocado and clementine's. 

Ingredients:
Serves 10
6 clementine's, peeled
3 avocados, halved and de-stoned
112.5g watercress, washed
120g smoked salmon, torn into pieces
juice of 1 lemon

1 tbsp. olive oil, for drizzling 

Method:
1. Slice each clementine horizontally into thirds. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh from each avocado half and slice evenly.
2. Toss the clementine's and avocado with the watercress and scatter on a plate.
3. Top with the salmon. 
4. Drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil, and sprinkle on freshly ground black pepper. 

Each serving provides:
3.6g carbohydrate 0.5g fibre 4.3g protein 10.1g fat 

From an original idea here 

Watercress with its deep green leaves, and crisp, paler stems, is related to mustard and is one of the strongest-tasting salad leaves available. It has a pungent, slightly bitter, peppery flavour and is highly nutritious, containing significant amounts of iron, calcium, vitamins A, C and E. It's usually sold in either bunches or bags, and is good combined in a salad with milder leaves, or made into soup.

Hope you may enjoy a plate of this colourful salad …


You will find a variety of recipe ideas within this blog, it is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

41 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Oh looks and sounds delicious!

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

JFM said...

How I wish that hubby would eat fish...but he won't.
Looks yummy though.

Hugs ❄🎄❄

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds wonderful, so yummy! Valerie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love salads and the citrus will be in season here soon! Enjoy your day!

Aritha V. said...

Mjammie. That looks delicious. Love the orange in it :-)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

wow, did the saliva explode with this post

Debbie said...

it's a beautiful salad with very nice ingredients, this is something i would love!!

the christmas picture is also pretty!!

NanaDiana said...

Oh- That looks delicious and I know my hubby would love it. I can't eat salmon but everyone else in my family loves it. Beautiful presentation, too! xo Diana

mamasmercantile said...

It looks delicious, now that is one meal that we will be having over the festive period.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

That looks so yummy. I've never thought of combining avacado with Clementines or any sort of orange.
At Thanksgiving my nephew who lives in Alaska came and brought some salmon he had caught and pickled them for us. Delicious.

Mary Kirkland said...

That does look colorful and it's not a flavor combination that I would have thought to put together.

Sami said...

Interesting salad mix Jan.

Catarina said...

Delicious and beautiful.
:)

Chris Lally said...

Another winner :)
Thank you, Jan!

Jo said...

That's something a bit different and it looks delicious.

Elephant's Child said...

It does look good. My Christmas salad will be a fruit salad. Heavy on stone fruits, berries and mangoes.

DIMI said...

Hello Jan!
That looks delicious!
A lovely idea for the festive period!
Thank you for sharing!
Enjoy your evening!
Dimi...

Christine said...

This looks so good!

DUTA said...

Salads are always welcome on the table. They allow for versatility of color and flavor, are excellent for digestion and balanced food intake. Citrus fruit might be a good addition to it.

Benita said...

The Christmas salad looks so pretty! It is most definitely true that we eat with our eyes before our mouths...and the look of a food definitely dictates whether or not I want to give it a try! Have a great one Jan! Hugs!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jan oh love the look of this salad and i will give it a try,thankyou for sharing the recipoe.

mxtodis123 said...

I love salads and this one looks delicious.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful images Jan.

William Kendall said...

It occurs to me I've never had clementines.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It has smoked salmon and avocado? Sign me up. In fact I want two helpings please!

Tom said...

...festive!

Wendy said...

Looks delicious! I love salads of all kinds. The creativity you can use to make them, the fresh ingredients and colour - wow!

Thanks for posting. I'll give it whirl!

Lorrie said...

This salad is a treat for the eyes as well as the mouth. Lovely!

Jenn Jilks said...

Yummy, indeed!

angryparsnip said...

So pretty and I know it will taste fabulous.
I love salad and this one is a keeper.
Beautiful photo.

cheers, parsnip and badger

Margaret D said...

That does look beautiful and delicious - my late mother used to make orange salad.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have a frozen salmon, an avocado, lemons, and some clementines. Now I just need to put them together, because this sounds simply delicious, Jan.

Iris Flavia said...

In our grocery store I´ve never seen watercress, just the small one.
But I´mm off to a bigger one and will keep my eyes open!

Teresa said...

Me encanta está ensalada ¡ tengo que hacerla ! Gracias y besitos.

sheila 77 said...

Look so colourful for a festive table.. I would have to replace the salmon with cheese and would then use bright coloured cheese.

sage said...

Lovely and looks delicious!

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

This salad is to die for... but actually it looks very healthy. :)
Thank you and have a happy weekend! xx

Conniecrafter said...

I don't know if I have tried watercress before or not, I will have to look for that. I am not one to mix my fruit in my salad, I am funny about mixing some foods with others, I know crazy, my hubby laughs at me :)

sandy said...

that salad looks beautiful!! i love food photos.

Magic Love Crow said...

I would love to have this right now!! Thanks Jan! Big Hugs!

Martha said...

Such a lovely salad. And I just love smoked salmon!