Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Is Squash a Fruit or Vegetable ... and a Frittata Recipe !

"Squash is a family of plants that comes in several different types. Winter varieties include butternut, acorn, delicata, pumpkin, hubbard, kabocha and spaghetti squashes. Zucchini (courgettes) and yellow squash — either with straight or crooked necks — are considered summer squashes.
However, squash may be confusing to classify. Most kinds of squash are brightly coloured — like fruit — but taste mild or savoury — like vegetables. 
This article tells you whether squash is a fruit or a vegetable.


Botanically, it's a fruit
Fruits contain seeds and develop from the flowers of a plant. On the other hand, vegetables are a plant’s roots, stems or leaves. Not everyone agrees with these botanical definitions, but they’re used widely to distinguish between fruits and vegetables. All types of squash have seeds and come from the flowering part of plants. In fact, edible flowers even grow out of squash and are known as squash blossoms. Therefore, squash is considered a fruit. Squash isn’t the only plant that gets confused for a vegetable. Other fruits frequently called veggies include tomatoes, eggplants (aubergines), avocados and cucumbers. 
Summary Since squash contains seeds and develops from the flower-producing part of a plant, it is botanically a fruit. 

Used as a Vegetable in Cooking 
Most people think of squash as a vegetable because it is usually prepared like one. The culinary definition of a fruit is the sweet and fleshy part of a plant. While some types of squash are mildly sweet, they’re not as sweet as a typical fruit. Instead, squash have a predominantly earthy flavour and are prepared and served as a vegetable — except when some types, like pumpkin, are used in desserts, such as pie. Squash is not usually eaten raw as is fruit, though zucchini (courgette) and yellow summer squash can be. It is often seen as a savoury ingredient and cooked alongside other vegetables. 
Summary Even though squash is botanically a fruit, it is predominantly cooked like a vegetable. 

How To Add it to your Diet
Squash can be eaten in a multitude of ways. The entire squash plant is edible, including the flesh, skin, leaves, flowers and seeds. You can find squash year-round in most grocery stores and farmers markets.

Winter squashes — such as butternut, acorn, hubbard, delicata, and pumpkin — are abundant from early fall (Autumn) through to late spring. They have green, yellow or orange skin and brightly coloured flesh in different shades of yellow and orange. Winter squash is often roasted, boiled or steamed. It is usually served with butter or olive oil and savoury seasonings. You can also add cooked winter squash to salads and soups. Alternatively, try stuffing acorn, delicata or hubbard squashes with meats, beans or other vegetables. The seeds of winter squash can be roasted with oil and salt for a crunchy snack. 

Summer squash, including zucchini (courgette) and crookneck, are typically in season from June through September. These varieties have yellow or green skin with white flesh. Zucchini (courgette) and yellow crookneck squash are usually sautéed, roasted or grilled with olive oil and garlic, or added to sweet breads and muffins. As they can be spiralized, they have also become a popular low-carb substitute for noodles

All types of squash are very nutritious and can be a healthy addition to your diet. Winter squashes are typically high in fibre, vitamin A and potassium, while summer squashes are rich in B vitamins and vitamin C. 

Summary Squash is available year-round in most places. Winter squash is often served stuffed with other foods or as an addition to soups and vegetable dishes, whereas summer squash is popular in baked goods and as a low-carb noodle alternative

The Bottom Line 
Botanically speaking, all types of squash are fruits, as they contain seeds and develop from the flower-producing part of a plant. However — despite notable exceptions, such as pumpkin — squashes are not as sweet as other fruits and are usually prepared and served as you would vegetables. Regardless of how you classify it, squash can be a tasty and nutritious addition to your diet."

Words above by Lizzie Streit, please see her full article with all related links here 

Readers - you will find a variety of articles and recipe ideas, are within this blog. It is important to note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter. 

Talking of squash!
 Have you tried this Frittata with Butternut Squash and Spinach recipe, see it here 

As always thanks for reading. 

All the best Jan

46 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I use squash a lot in my veggie soups and dishes, and it's always delicious! Valerie

Tom said...

...I never gave it much thought.

mxtodis123 said...

I don't really eat it, but Super Fresh puts together a pack of fresh mixed veggies and squash is a part of it. I use it in my soups.

Jo said...

I love squash. I'd class it as a fruit that I use as a vegetable. Yum.

JFM said...

Oh! This recipe looks great!!!
Added to my must try list!
Thank you Jan 💮

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never made a Frittata....maybe I should try! Thanks for the recipe and great info!

Christine said...

The frittata looks yummy! Interesting that squash is a fruit, no wonder I like it.

Ygraine said...

I have never tried squash, so now that is about to change!
Many thanks for sharing...😊😊

A hug.

mamasmercantile said...

We eat a lot of squash but we have always considered it as a vegetable.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

mmmm...I'm linking to that recipe right now.

(yah, I've been away...brother been visiting ☺

DIMI said...

Hello Jan!
I love Squash but i use it only for soups!
I will try the frittata recipe! It sounds very delicious!
Enjoy your afternoon!
Dimi...

Benita said...

While neither of us are squash fans, I think the hubster might actually enjoy this recipe! Looks wonderful! Have a great day!

Miss Val's Creations said...

How interesting that squash is technically a fruit! I have never tried butternut squash in a fritatta before but now I am intrigued.

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

I see...I got new knowledge.
thank you for sharing

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the frittata sounds delicious. I try to add more veggie and fruits to our diet.
Thanks for sharing. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Elephant's Child said...

I never met a pumpkin I didn't like.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Squash look very interesting to look at but I'm afraid I don't like the taste.

Bill said...

Butternut squash is my favorite. I love it all mashed up, it's great.

Sue said...

Very interesting article, we've recently taken to butternut squash - Neil love it, but I find it a little boring. Have a fun week xx

Bob Bushell said...

Stunning Jan, I love them all, but, last one is beautiful.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for the link to this recipe. I like squash a lot and found this very interesting to read. I've recently in the last few months discovered Delicata Squash, not only very pretty on the plate but also tasty. Enjoy the rest of your week :)

William Kendall said...

I still have never had it.

happyone said...

Interesting. Like squash a lot and what a great picture.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I've always considered squash a vegetable. We love frittatas for a quick meal. I have a spaghetti squash in the refrigerator that I need to cook. Thanks for the information. ♥

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Squash is a wonderful addition to any meal and is especially adaptable to soups. With the addition of other ingredients, and especially the judicious use of herbs and spices, squash soup is about as good as it gets. And here in southern Ontario it is grown extensively and in the fall is very inexpensive. It is readily frozen too so it can be enjoyed all winter.

Romance Book Haven said...

We just roasted ours to eat with roast chicken.

This N That said...

Interesting. I did not the know that squash was a fruit. Thanks for the info. They are very prolific fruits. I hope you're having a good week

Lee said...

I'm sorry I've been so slack in posting comments on your posts below....but it has been so hot here these past few days...my energy has been sapped. But, thankfully, we're in for a bit of a reprieve over the next couple of days...before it hits again, no doubt.

Every thing you've posted looks delicious....I've mostly been eating just fruit and raw mixed nuts...it's been too hot to cook. Stupidly, I did make my Christmas cakes last Wednesday, though! lol

I need my head read!!!

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I made squash soup last night for dinner. I will be posting the recipe soon.
I love squash. Squash soup has become a favorite of mine.

Martha said...

I really like squash. And the Frittata looks so delicious!

Lady Fi said...

That frittata looks nice!

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting! I had squash only twice and it was too sweet for my liking, sadly.

Linda said...

I like squash. I grill it along with my steak.

Margaret D said...

Cheap as chips in season and lovely too.

Phil Slade said...

I'd never thought that squash was anything but vegetable. Thanks for that info. Now I can say I make a very nice fruit soup and confuse people.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Um artigo muito interessante.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Andarilhar
Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
O prazer dos livros

RO said...

Squash is still the one thing that I haven't included in my diet, but it's fascinating to know that the entire thing is all edible. Always so much is learned here and I thank you. Hugs...RO

carol l mckenna said...

Frittatas are wonderful and love the vegetables!

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Debbie said...

this looks so good...and very colorful!! i love all squash. yellow summer squash is my favorite, also acorn squash is a close second!!

Lisabella Russo said...

I love squash, thanks for the information!

Jenn Jilks said...

Just looks gorgeous! Cheerio

Teresa said...

Yo las hago en puré o en tortilla. Besitos.

sheila 77 said...

This looks really good, Jan. I've often thought of making a frittata but haven't yet, so will have a good look at this one for Christmas and this might be my first frittata.
Happy December.

Conniecrafter said...

Well you learn something new every day, I always have thought of it as a vegetable, I just brought a pressure cooker and am going to try cooking some in that soon :)

sandy said...

i'm going to share this with my "chef" who happens to be my husband.

Magic Love Crow said...

Very interesting! Thanks Jan! Big Hugs!