Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 March 2022

'Fake plant milks: three times as expensive as dairy with fewer nutrients.'

 "A comparative assessment of the nutritional composition of dairy and plant-based dairy alternatives available for sale in the UK and the implications for consumers’ dietary intakes

image from google

Highlights
Plant-based dairy alternatives (PBDA) cost three times more than dairy products.

There were significant differences between milk, yogurt and cheese and PBDA for many nutrients.

PBDA can have significant consequences for nutrient intakes when replaced with dairy

Fortification provides a potential route for improving the nutritional composition of PBDA.

At present, PBDA can be considered a practical but not nutritional replacement for dairy products.

Abstract
The popularity of plant-based dairy alternatives (PBDAs) products has grown exponentially in recent years creating a new market of PBDA. The aim of this study was to compare the nutritional content of plant-based alternatives of milk, yogurt and cheese with dairy equivalents and the impact on nutritional intake across the lifespan when they are substituted into UK diets. Nutritional information from cow’s milk, yogurt, cheese and PBDAs available on the UK market was collected via manufacturers information. The products were categorised according to primary plant-based ingredient/s and compared with the equivalent dairy product. The National Diet and Nutrition Survey data was used to calculate the intake of milk, yogurt and cheese across all age groups and the energy and nutrient intake was calculated. Plant-based milk, cheese and yogurt alternative categories were then substituted for dairy intakes, and energy and nutrient intakes were calculated and compared to UK Dietary Reference Values

A total of 299 PBDA products were identified consisting of 136 milk alternatives, 55 yogurt alternatives and 109 cheese alternatives. All PBDAs were more expensive than dairy products. Milk contained more energy, saturated fat, carbohydrates, protein, vitamin B2, vitamin B12 and iodine, and less fibre and free sugars, than plant-based milk alternatives (P < 0.05). There were significant differences between yogurt and cheese and their corresponding PBDAs for energy, fat, saturated fat, carbohydrate, sugars, fibre protein, salt, and calcium (P < 0.05). These differences were reflected in the nutrient intakes of different age groups and the results demonstrated that PBDA may be useful as practical replacements of dairy products but cannot be considered nutritional replacements."

It makes sense to ensure that whatever diet/lifestyle we choose care should always be taken to make sure we are getting adequate nutrition.

Above words and more can be seen at Science Direct here
h/t Marks Daily Apple here

~ xx ~~ xx ~


Please note, there is a variety of articles, studies, recipe suggestions and more within this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

27 comments:

William Kendall said...

I am always reminded when I see these plant based products of a rant by the comedian Lewis Black about what constitutes milk. He rightly says it's soy juice. Not soy milk.

J.P. Alexander said...

En mi país también son muy caros. Genial información muy clara .Te mando un beso

Lorrie said...

I stick to animal dairy products. Some who have allergies have no choice but to use other substitutes.

Practical Parsimony said...

Thank you for this. When people try to preach to me the joys of some sort of milk, mention almonds, I tell them a handful of almonds is all they are getting, so just eat a few almonds.

Tom said...

...but many think these are superior to milk as I know it.

My name is Erika. said...

I am a milk person. There's a lot of pressure not to drink milk I think. This article was really interesting and it feels good to see something pro-milk.

Conniecrafter said...

so thankful I don't have to give up my milk

kathyinozarks said...

Another reason why it is so important to read the labels on the foods we buy. I buy a high quality nut milk that is only the nut and water-high in protein, low in carbs it depends what one's needs are too-some people do not eat dairy products, some are allergic to it-and milk these days in the stores is so overly processed I don't drink it-if you could find a natural milk product less processed would be healthier too just my opinion

Christine said...

Interesting

Iris Flavia said...

I think it´s another hype.
The human body needs what´s in milk, meat etc, right?
Here we had a family in the news, the parents lived vegan and raised their baby with that. Not even the mother gave the milk her body produced anyways!
The baby was very, very malnourished and neighbours luckily interfered, the baby was taken away. I think I should say toddler, rather, the girl was over a year old.

People don´t see the higher price and always have to tell you they live vegan and it´s good for the environment.
We don´t eat much meat, but we do, cause our body needs it and we always make sure to buy high quality/local, we can afford as we don´t eat it every day.

I wish people would use their brain and not run after hypes and media. Sorry, rant over!

Phil Slade said...

Are we really surprised that these companies fool gullible consumers with these fake products?
It's good that the Internet is available for people to research and to make informed choice rather than believe all they see on TV. And not just on food!

Jo said...

I've always stuck to full fat milk myself.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't drink it, but I cook with milk. Actual milk ;)

Little Wandering Wren said...

I am so with you! In February I did a cleanse that involved no dairy no gluten, no sugar and it was also to have no coffee which I switched for one soy or almond milk latte daily. But both were stacked full of sugar. I did feel good after a month of mostly fruit and veg but I am happy to be back on dairy again. This was very interesting. Thank you.
Wren x

Snowbird said...

Yes, you have to make sure you take vitamins when on a meat and dairy free diet. Interesting as always.xxx

Sue said...

I'm a real cows milk girl myself. No good ever came from trying to milk an almond! Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good information
With food allergies, I dare not use plant based milks.

DVArtist said...

I drink and use in cooking the real deal. Cows milk.

Debbie said...

we drink real mild, vitamin d...this was interesting!!

Mary Kirkland said...

I drink whole milk. I like the Silk chocolate milk because it has a good taste but I'll be sticking with real milk.

happyone said...

I think I'll stick to my regular milk, but it is nice that there is an alternative for people who can't have milk.

Rose said...

Me, too, on sticking with regular dairy products. But I am sure some people are very happy that there are alternatives.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Very interesting information. Thanks for the review.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Very informative. Here in the United States (maybe in the UK / World also), I started seeing items in the butter section that were called "Plant-Based". Then, with shortages due to two years of covid-19 Lockdowns, that was the only choice sometimes. I had no idea what it was, so I did a search, and discovered "Plant-Based" was margarine rebranded. And they used to say how bad margarine was for us, yet now, it's okay.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

So many consumers are drawn to fads without having a clue what they are all about.

Jenny Woolf said...

I quite like oat milk in my coffee but I wonder if it is as good for me as low fat milk. I suspect not. I don't have it very often, for that reason.

sandy said...

the only other milk i've had is almond milk. Interesting article.