Total Pageviews

Monday 21 March 2022

I remember we very often had a cottage or shepherds pie on Mondays!

When I was growing up Monday was traditionally the big wash day, and it would seem my dear mum spent most of the day washing sheets, towels - you name it and it was washed.

I also remember we very often had a cottage or shepherds pie on Mondays! The left over meat from the Sunday Roast would be minced up, onions and carrots, some gravy added plus mashed potato on top. My mum always used to add milk and butter to her mashed potato and it did taste good. Nowadays, whenever I make a Cottage or Shepherds Pie instead of potato I use a lower carb alternative, like mashed swede, cauliflower or celeriac but always with butter added ... if she were here I think mum would have liked the taste 😋

Cottage Pie, the lower carb way
more details can be seen here


Do you know the difference between cottage pie and shepherd’s pie? The clue is in the meat used! Cottage Pie should only be named if it contains beef and Shepherd’s pie should only be named if it contains lamb.

Shepherd’s Pie is understood to originate from Ireland (although clearly now enjoyed across all of Britain). Cottage Pie on the other hand is said to be from England. Research tells us that Cottage Pie dates back to 1791, whereas Shepherd’s Pie became a thing almost a century later, in 1870.

For readers who would prefer a low carb vegetarian or vegan option of this pie, have a look at this low carb Shepherdless Pie. It’s completely vegetarian, and even suitable for vegans if you omit the butter and milk from the mash, see more details here


~ some spring flowers to start the week ~

There are many good recipes around the internet (to suit all tastes), which can so often be 'tweaked' a little to better suit you, and your families tastes. This blog brings a variety of recipe ideas/suggestions, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

As always, thank you for reading this post, it's been good to have your company and do please share your thoughts in the comments section below.

All the best Jan

34 comments:

Tom said...

...something that I have never had.

Susan Kane said...

Yellow and blue are perfect colors together. I use them in quilting.

J.P. Alexander said...

Uy no lo sabia por lo general lo hago con carne molida de res. Te mando un beso.

Chatty Crone said...

That looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

Conniecrafter said...

I hadn't heard of cottage pie even when we lived in England.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember having Shepherd's pie at least once in my life. Monday was wash day in my grandmother's house, too. An entire week of sheets, towels, clothes. Dried on the line if it was a nice day and dried in the dryer if cold, snowy, or raining.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been years since I had cottage pie.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Christine said...

Interesting to know the difference. Love the flowers.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I tried mashed cauliflower on top of my cottage pie and it was very good! I did add lots of butter and some white ad black pepper for flavor.

Elephant's Child said...

We often had it too - and I sometimes make them for himself.

Elderberry-Rob said...

We make the meat (beef) version here and a veggie one with quorn protein - lentil is a good alternative though and I sometimes add lentil to the meat version to make it go further if short on the mince and an extra person at the table!

Iris Flavia said...

Butter makes it all better.

linda said...

I love shepherds pie anyway it comes yum.

Margaret D said...

My mother used to do the same when she could.

Jo said...

I love cottage pie and shepherd's pie, and Cumberland pie too.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The Shepherd's pie looks delicious!
I love the pretty flowers.
Take care, have a happy new week!

Valerie-Jael said...

I think tht was served all over England every Monday and its always tasty! Have a great week, Valerie

Inger said...

I only eat meat very occasionally and definitely would not eat lamb. The reason I stopped eating meat was a lamb. It was black, it joyfully kicked its hindlegs into the air and was just adorable. It really helps when you see what you actually eat. I rarely eat beef. Sometimes it's included in a frozen dinner I may like, Shepherd's Pie from Marie Callenders is on example, they use ground beef, I'm sure... Or am I? I better check!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never had either. Pot pie is as close as I've come.

Lady Caer Morganna said...

I love shepherds pie!!

Jeanie said...

Rick loves and periodically makes shepherd's pie. Never been my favorite but hey -- I'm not cooking!

R's Rue said...

Yummy.

Lorrie said...

My mother used to do the same with the leftover roast beef. We called it Shepherd's Pie, erroneously, because it never included lamb.

DVArtist said...

I love this and my mom made it often with beef.

happyone said...

I didn't know the difference, but now I do. :)

Debbie said...

i have never had a laundry day, i do a little every day!! now that it is just the hubs and i, i do 1/2 loads and that works for me!!

i love shepards pie, but rarely make it. i need to change that as i really do like it!!

mamasmercantile said...

I love the idea of having a vegetable topping to replace potatoes.

My name is Erika. said...

If I have "it" here, it is always called shepard's pie, no matter what the meat.But I really like how beef is cottage pie and lamb is shepard's pie. Happy new week.

William Kendall said...

It's always called shepherd's pie regardless of what meat is in it. A small grocer here makes ready made meals, which I pick up. Usually every other week I'll have it.

Carla from The River said...

I love the bouquet, thank you for the spring flowers.
xx oo
Carla

Martha said...

Since I'd only use beef, I guess I've been having cottage pie all these years! But I've always referred to it as shepherd's pie.

Snowbird said...

Ooooh, I'll definitely be giving the vegan version a go!xxx

Rose said...

I have never had either of them, but have always thought I would like them.

Teresa said...

Un ramo de flores preciosas. Gracias y besos.