Total Pageviews

Thursday 10 March 2022

'How well does your fat function? It isn't a question that one gets asked very often'

An interesting study seen in Science Daily that Well-functioning fat may be the key to fewer old-age ailments ...

Fat tissue plays an important role in human health. However, our fat tissue loses function as we age, which can lead to type 2 diabetes, obesity, cancer and other ailments. High levels of lifelong exercise seem to counteract this deterioration. This, according to research at the University of Copenhagen, where biologists studied the link between aging, exercise and fat tissue function in Danish men.

How well does your fat function? It isn't a question that one gets asked very often. Nonetheless, research in recent years suggests that the function of our fat tissue, or adipose tissue, is central to why our bodies decay with age, and strongly linked to human diseases like diabetes 2, cancer as obesity often develop and fat cells undergo functional changes as we get older. Thus, overall health is not just influenced by the amount of fat we bear, but about how well our fat tissue functions.

A new University of Copenhagen study demonstrates that even though our fatty tissue loses important function with age, a high volume of exercise can have a significant impact for the better.

"Overall health is closely linked with how well our fat tissue functions. In the past, we regarded fat as an energy depot. In fact, fat is an organ that interacts with other organs and can optimize metabolic function. Among other things, fat tissue releases substances that affect muscle and brain metabolism when we feel hungry and much more. So, it's important that fat tissue works the way it should," explains Assistant Professor Anders Gudiksen of the University of Copenhagen's Department of Biology.

Fat cell function worsens with age
Gudiksen and a group of colleagues looked at the role of age and physical training in maintaining fat tissue function. Specifically, they studied mitochondria, the tiny power plants within fat cells. Mitochondria convert calories from food to supply cells with energy. To maintain the life processes within cells, they need to function optimally.

The researchers compared mitochondrial performance across a range of young and older untrained, moderately trained and highly exercise trained Danish men. The results demonstrate that the ability of mitochondria to respire -- i.e., produce energy -- decreases with age, regardless of how much a person exercises. However, Anders Gudiksen explains:

"Although mitochondrial function decreases with age, we can see that a high level of lifelong exercise exerts a powerful compensatory effect. In the group of well-trained older men, fat cells are able to respire more than twice as much as in untrained older men."
The above and more to read can be seen here

Although this study focused on men, would it be different for women? I think most readers would agree that exercise is important no matter our age or gender. How you exercise is a personal choice and any health concerns must always be taken into account, just remember, any movement is good 😊

You may also find these an interesting read:
'Exercise for Better Health' - see here
'The Functions of Fat' - see here

A variety of articles, studies and recipe ideas are found within this blog. Please note, not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

26 comments:

Rose said...

An interesting read...one I need to take to heart.

Tom said...

...oh, age is such a wonderful thing!

Hootin Anni said...

My exercise is household chores daily & walking 3-4 times a week. I must admit this, during the covid pandemic it was more hit & miss.

Good advice with suggesting exercise.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I guess I need to read more about this. I exercise regularly and eat well but I definitely have more fat than when I was younger. But since I am healthy, I don't worry about it. lol Thanks for the info!

William Kendall said...

Quite informative.

Christine said...

Exercise really helps.

J.P. Alexander said...

Hay que siempre estar activo. Te mando un beso.

Debbie said...

this is an interesting read. it seems everything goes to $hit with age!!

Angie said...

Jan - how interesting. I always think of fat as just being bad. I never heard that it actually has a function!!!! Thanks for educating me!

handmade by amalia said...

That was very interesting, Jan. Thanks.
Amalia
xo

Valerie-Jael said...

Interesting article, thanks. Hae a great day,Valerie

Jo said...

I must admit, I'm not a lover of exercise, I've never set foot in a gym in my life. I walk to keep fit and that's about it.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Well researched article. Thanx Jan.

God bless.

linda said...

It looks as if my fat cells won't be doing me much good then, if only I had exercised more when I was younger.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I try to keep moving, walking is my favorite exercise.
Take care, enjoy your day!

CJ Kennedy said...

interesting article

Jeanie said...

I'll be glad when the ice is gone forever and it warms a bit so I can get back to a regular walking routine, then summer swim at the lake. The article was interesting.

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoy exercise and try to include different kinds. I didn't realize it had an effect on how fat works.

DVArtist said...

Very nice post. I workout/dance/walk 5 days a week.

CraveCute said...

Great post! I think my fat cells are very lazy, I need to walk everyday to keep them busy! LOL

Inger said...

I've had too many ups and downs with my diabetes laterly, so need to go low carb. I will be looking for recipes of low carbs with plenty of calories as my weight usually drops when I do this. It was interesting to find out that I eat many of the foods listed online as low carb with cal., but not all, and I know for sure not large enough portions. Most people don't understand that being thin and getting too thin is also a real problem.I will look through your receipies as well. They always sound so good.

My name is Erika. said...

This is really interesting. I'd recently read how fat cells do more for us than just store up energy. That everything wed always been told about fat cells is wrong. But this article you posted explains some of that with aging. Thanks for sharing.

José Antonio Sánchez Rumí said...

Very interesting this information, I do not have much fat but some yes and is never good for anything in particular.
Best regards.

Sue said...

Ooh I got all excited then thinking that fat was good! I swim everyday for an hour, which is just time to do a mile, so hopefully my fat is doing ok. Take care and have a great weekend, Sue xx

NatureFootstep said...

I doubt that anyone can find any fat at all on my body. I would not mind having some. :(

Conniecrafter said...

I will have to say in the winter time I don't get nearly the amount of exercise I get in the spring through fall months, and I know that isn't good for me